Streaming from a computer vs. from a dedicated device

Forsooth

Forsooth

Audioholic
My feeling is that streaming (e.g., Spotify) from a computer via USB will sound the same as streaming from a dedicated media streamer into the same amp and utilizing the same DAC. Is that true?

Thanks.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Theoretically as long as the same Spotify app service (they vary) . You can't simply stream via your network instead of usb?

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Theoretically as long as the same Spotify app service (they vary) . You can't simply stream via your network instead of usb?
I will agree with you: it should sound the same if you use the same Spotify service.

I use Spotify similar to the way the OP suggested: from the Spotify app on my MacMini, through the HDMI port (not the USB port) to my AVR. The reason I do that verses a network connection is that it keeps my AVR from switching input modes. The AVR stays setup the same as if I were playing songs out of Itunes. I can change back n forth quickly.

If I stream to it from an iPAD for instance, it changes input modes and then settings and such can get all knotted up sometimes. Probably not a big deal, but I don't care for the extra switching.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
My feeling is that streaming (e.g., Spotify) from a computer via USB will sound the same as streaming from a dedicated media streamer into the same amp and utilizing the same DAC. Is that true?

Thanks.
Kind of piggybacking off HD.

Yes, that is true assuming you're getting the same SQ feed from Spotify.

Forsooth

Forsooth

Audioholic
Haha -- I don't have anything yet. I've just learned in the last couple of weeks what a DAC is.

I signed up for Spotify "free" today with the full intention of moving to the premium service in a short time. I just wanted to see how it works and what Spotify had to offer in terms of classical music, and I have been pleasantly surprised at the depth of the content.

I have in my Crutchfield cart the Yamaha A-S801 for listening to music only, and the Yamaha CD-S300 to revive my 300+ CD collection which I have not heard in. let's say, years. Long story. I'm glad I hung onto my Klipsch Forte speakers from 1986. (They are in pristine shape, so I hope they still work.)

Anyway, I also started learning about so-called streamers and wondered if they brought something unique to the acoustic quality of the music. It seemed to me that given the same source and service, though, digital-digital-digital.

AND TO FINALIZE, I recently read (or heard someone say) that if you can manage it, use the USB cable to connect the computer (WIN10 in my case) to the amp, that bluetooth transmission is yet another compression link to be avoided if possible for better audio. At least, I think that is what I understood.

NOTE: I haven't placed my Crutchfield order yet because I have read a bunch about the Outlaw RR-2160. I know Outlaw has a big following on Audioholics. But in the end, I'm thinking the RR-2160 would be a bit complicated for me, whereas the A-S801 is pretty simple.

Last edited:
A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
Spotify is not lossless btw. You might try something like Tidal before you commit fully to Spotify...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Haha -- I don't have anything yet. I've just learned in the last couple of weeks what a DAC is.

I signed up for Spotify "free" today with the full intention of moving to the premium service in a short time. I just wanted to see how it works and what Spotify had to offer in terms of classical music, and I have been pleasantly surprised at the depth of the content.

I have in my Crutchfield cart the Yamaha A-S801 for listening to music only, and the Yamaha CD-S300 to revive my 300+ CD collection which I have not heard in. let's say, years. Long story. I'm glad I hung onto my Klipsch Forte speakers from 1986. (They are in pristine shape, so I hope they still work.)

Anyway, I also started learning about so-called streamers and wondered if they brought something unique to the acoustic quality of the music. It seemed to me that given the same source and service, though, digital-digital-digital.

AND TO FINALIZE, I recently read (or heard someone say) that if you can manage it, use the USB cable to connect the computer (WIN10 in my case) to the amp, that bluetooth transmission is yet another compression link to be avoided if possible for better audio. At least, I think that is what I understood.

NOTE: I haven't placed my Crutchfield order yet because I have read a bunch about the Outlaw RR-2160. I know Outlaw has a big following on Audioholics. But in the end, I'm thinking the RR-2160 would be a bit complicated for me, whereas the A-S801 is pretty simple.
While I think Yamaha has a 2ch network enabled receiver, don't believe that integrated amp does, but there are ways to add it (and I'm not talking about bluetooth, but rather wifi via DLNA or Apple's Airplay). I use Spotify but not a classical fan much. As was suggested if you want lossless Tidal is another option (Spotify maxes out at 320kbps whereas Tidal offers cd quality and some hi-res as long as you don't mind looking at JayZ on the way...

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

Thanks.
The only streaming I have used is via HTPCs and Chromecast. Chromecast can be handy but for some reason quality is definitely better with my Ivy Bridge i5 integrated processors.

One thing I do know is that HTPC are much handier and far more versatile. You can pretty much capture any stream out there at the highest quality. My DAW has really good quality and allows me to capture any audio stream. I can also capture AV streams but that uses up a lot of storage, so I do very little of that.

Forsooth

Forsooth

Audioholic
Spotify is not lossless btw. You might try something like Tidal before you commit fully to Spotify...
Thanks. Yes, I know that Spotify is not lossless, but I have read accounts (and watched amateur videos) in which subjects have been unable to consistently identifiy the "Premium Spotify" vs. "Tidal" source in A/B comparisons.

Plus, if I were going with Lossless, I would probably wait until Qobuz is available in the US. (Another note: the owner of Tidal is very publicly political -- and I don't like his politics.)

Last edited:
W

Winkleswizard

Audioholic
If you have that many CDs and are willing to spend the time, you can transcribe them to FLAC format using Windows Media Player. The sound quality will remain the same as the original CD audio.

The music can then be streamed to an AVR from the computer or copied to a USB drive and plugged into most newer wifi routers. This avoids the need for the computer to be up when you want to listen to music.

While streaming services like Spotify are convenient, if you want the best sound quality, would check the source encoding before spending additional money for premium service. I have used a few sevices and suspect if I cannot buy anything other than an mp3 from them, that they may only stream compressed music. Many folks do not care and it makes storage and bandwidth cheaper for the service.

If you are willing to do the aforementioned transcription, you could spend the money on a better AVR or DAC. The new CD player would not be needed. I find streaming means I listen to more of my music collection and do not have to worry about finding a particular CD. I have hundreds as well, but they get mixed with other family member ones! Also I can stream music for hours without changing out CDs...

Ww

Last edited:
Forsooth

Forsooth

Audioholic
The only streaming I have used is via HTPCs and Chromecast. Chromecast can be handy but for some reason quality is definitely better with my Ivy Bridge i5 integrated processors.

One thing I do know is that HTPC are much handier and far more versatile. You can pretty much capture any stream out there at the highest quality. My DAW has really good quality and allows me to capture any audio stream. I can also capture AV streams but that uses up a lot of storage, so I do very little of that.
I had never come across the acronyms HTPC, but now know that it is Home Theater PC (and DAW is Digital Audio Workshop). I went to newegg.com to see a (an?) HTPC, and interestingly it is an enclosed device which, evidently, is a full-blown computer in its own right. The one I examined online was about $1K (Intel i7), but it would take me 3 years to learn to use it for audio capture.

Wow, I cannot believe your setup. I looked at all the photos -- recognized Rattle. You can't get this array by saving up your allowance. I guess that is what it takes to do AV work professionally and to handle just about any challenge that might come up. The 'front views' of the equipment are pretty arresting, and the 'back views' (wiring room) put Franz Kline to shame.

Haha, the takeaway is that I should stop fretting about purchasing my little CD player and amp :) !

W

Winkleswizard

Audioholic
Would not buy either of these if you want convenience. You will get much more out of a nice AVR for less or same money. I either stream from the network and also have a USB stick that plugs into the front of my AVR. You would also get convenient feature updates for fixes/improvements via the internet. I also can listen to my most of music without computer noise or when the network is down.

In my experience, integrating a computer into an audio system only complicates it way more than I want. Most AVRs have significant computing horsepower built-in to them already. Unless you are a musician or composer, I can only think of disadvantages of integrating my PC into my audio system.

Suggest you check out a Denon AVRX3400H or comparable AVR.

Ww

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Would not buy either of these if you want convenience. You will get much more out of a nice AVR for less or same money. I either stream from the network and also have a USB stick that plugs into the front of my AVR. You would also get convenient feature updates for fixes/improvements via the internet. I also can listen to my most of music without computer noise or when the network is down.

In my experience, integrating a computer into an audio system only complicates it way more than I want. Most AVRs have significant computing horsepower built-in to them already. Unless you are a musician or composer, I can only think of disadvantages of integrating my PC into my audio system.

Ww
I will completely disagree on the PC integration into HT.

I've had my tower PC as part of my main HT rig for over 15 years, and it works great for me, my setup, and my needs. I could not imagine my HT without it, and it only simplified everything that I needed to do.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai

Ww
Winkieswizard
I will completely disagree on the PC integration into HT.

I've had my tower PC as part of my main HT rig for over 15 years, and it works great for me, my setup, and my needs. I could not imagine my HT without it, and it only simplified everything that I needed to do.
I'm going to disagree completely with Winkleswizard and agree with slipperbidness on integrating a PC in to your audio system. Its a wonderful choice and there are so many flavors to choose from. You can go from simple to complex and from a high degree of automation to just the basics. Calling a source an HTPC can be overkill. In my dedicated music room, I have a small Mac Mini that's the brains of the operation. It stores all the music, feeds the AVR, and is about as trouble free as a record player.

Of course, if you don't have computer skills, or you don't get networking, perhaps going with a media server isn't your cup of tea. Managing 10's of 1,000's of songs and artists in a single place : I can't think of a better way to do it and have lovely music at your fingertips.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Wow, I cannot believe your setup. I looked at all the photos -- recognized Rattle. You can't get this array by saving up your allowance. I guess that is what it takes to do AV work professionally and to handle just about any challenge that might come up. The 'front views' of the equipment are pretty arresting, and the 'back views' (wiring room) put Franz Kline to shame.

Haha, the takeaway is that I should stop fretting about purchasing my little CD player and amp :) !
Forsooth:
You took a look at @TLS Guy's setup did you? If you think his replies to technical questions come from looking stuff up in books: think again. He has a wealth of experience and a lifetime in audio. I am as impressed as anybody with the systems he runs. But if you took a few minutes and look at the replies to some of his posts, you'd be knocked out I think. Some of the most complete and technically correct answers to questions you'll ever get to see for free. There's some great resources on the AH. Each different in their own way, but, the answers can save you the complete cost of your hardware in just one post.

Forsooth

Forsooth

Audioholic
Forsooth:
You took a look at @TLS Guy's setup did you? If you think his replies to technical questions come from looking stuff up in books: think again. He has a wealth of experience and a lifetime in audio. I am as impressed as anybody with the systems he runs. But if you took a few minutes and look at the replies to some of his posts, you'd be knocked out I think. Some of the most complete and technically correct answers to questions you'll ever get to see for free. There's some great resources on the AH. Each different in their own way, but, the answers can save you the complete cost of your hardware in just one post.
Thanks! Yes, given his extensive collection of professional components, I have no doubt of his talent and expertise in anything audio or video. I hope my post did not imply otherwise.

Forsooth

Forsooth

Audioholic

Ww
Thanks. I agree with your point on keeping things as simple as practical. But on the other hand, I will be playing music only (no HT). I looked up the Denon AVRX3400H and, for me, just to look at the back panel of inputs and outputs was a bit overwhelming. Beautiful but daunting (for me).

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks. I agree with your point on keeping things as simple as practical. But on the other hand, I will be playing music only (no HT). I looked up the Denon AVRX3400H and, for me, just to look at the back panel of inputs and outputs was a bit overwhelming. Beautiful but daunting (for me).
with the advice you can get here: its a piece of cake. first time through: a little trepidation. After that, cakewalk:)

W

Winkleswizard

Audioholic

Gotcha. Firmly relate to using the right tool for the job!

Had not seen before, but this looks to get most of the benefits I mentioned previously without the HT complexity:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_022RN602/Yamaha-R-N602.html?search=yamaha+receiver

My family struggles with the HT complexity as well, and simpler usually means better reliability too.

Hope this helps,

Ww

J

jid

Audioholic Intern
I think what you want to do will work nicely and there's no need for a streamer.. I believe that even through USB or other digital outputs the sound does get processed by the windows mixer unless you're using special drivers (it was either ASIO or WASAPI it's been a while for me ;) ) so in theory that would not be desirable, however I remember comparing both ways on a decent sound system and not being able to hear a difference. The laptop or HTPC is nice too because it does give you a lot of flexibility.

As for the quality of Spotify I think it gets a bad rap, streaming from your HTPC with the program at extreme quality setting is 320 Ogg Vorbis which is very good encoding .. This is not lossless, but the bits that are lost I think maybe only your dog can hear assuming your gear can even reproduce those frequencies. The difference may be in the masters used for encoding but I'm not sure about it there is very little info in the public domain. When I try tidal I could come back and tell you it is better but I'm skeptical, most of the reviews I've come across seem extremely subjective and very susceptible to the placebo effect. There is no doubt that lossless is a better format however I'm not sure it is audible, I've had a hard time picking out FLAC over 320VBR files in the past (yes the flacs were real ripped and not upconverted), none of the reviews or impressions use any kind of sound pressure level meter to do a proper comparison, they simply assume that the volume knob in the same position yields the same level but that is probably not true (the louder one almost always sounds better to most people). I would also turn off the volume normalization setting in Spotify as that can reduce the dynamic range.. another thing I'm not sure ppl do when they do their reviews and comparisons.

One more thing, I've seen mention of the Chromecast in these responses, I'm using one right now and it is convenient but I've come across a couple of limitations. #1 the stream according to Spotify is not 320 Ogg Vorbis when casting through Chromecast, it is 256 AAC.. still pretty damn good but not as good and kind of annoying considering it is supposed to handle lossless even. #2 The playlist size is limited.. listening to an album is fine but one of my lists is like 100 songs or something and it stops playing when it reaches a certain number of songs.. even more annoying, I will be ditching the Chromecast in favour of a tablet or laptop via USB like what you're looking to do.

Lastly, good job, I like that you are trying to use logic to assemble your music box ;). A lot of voodoo in the audio world.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis