Streaming DSD on Yamaha MusicCast speakers

S

ssmaudio

Audioholic Intern
Hi there. I have a pair of Yamaha MusicCast 20 (WX-021) speakers in a stereo configuration through my MusicCast Controller app. I have music on my NAS server. It’s organized in three folders: DSD, FLAC, and Apple lossless stuff.

In my MusicCast app I’m able to navigate through the folders and play all the Apple lossless stuff. But when I navigate to the Individua albums on the DSD folder, it says “no music.” I’m other words, none of the pieces are there. It can see the album, but not the actual dsf files. Any ideas?

MusicCast is supposed to be able to play 2-channel DSD up to 11.2MHz.
Thanks Very much.
Shankha

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
What does Yamaha say about this when you contact them?

If you haven't done so, this should be your first step. Let them know you have other files such as MP3 and FLAC which are in similar folders on the same drive which you can play back without issue, but you can't play these back.

I can't tell you how many features that never come to reality I have seen over the years, and this could easily be one of them. Or, you need to upgrade firmware, or your most recent firmware upgrade took that feature away.

But, definitely reach out to Yamaha, because they should have the best answer. Key word: SHOULD

Good luck!

S

ssmaudio

Audioholic Intern
Wow, was I that dumb?! Looks that way. For some reason I was absolutely convinced these stream DSD.

I’ll contact Yamaha And verify.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
DSD is an old and relatively dead format? Don't expect too much from it?
You've got me really confused.
SACDs are barely produced and download options are limited....I use multich sacd myself, don't see much purpose to the format otherwise.

M

MTVhike

Audioholic Intern
My BluOS players won't play DSD files, but if I convert them to FLAC, they will. Most of my music I play from my computer which will play the DSD files.

L

Listmanj

Audiophyte
Hi there. I have a pair of Yamaha MusicCast 20 (WX-021) speakers in a stereo configuration through my MusicCast Controller app. I have music on my NAS server. It’s organized in three folders: DSD, FLAC, and Apple lossless stuff.

In my MusicCast app I’m able to navigate through the folders and play all the Apple lossless stuff. But when I navigate to the Individua albums on the DSD folder, it says “no music.” I’m other words, none of the pieces are there. It can see the album, but not the actual dsf files. Any ideas?

MusicCast is supposed to be able to play 2-channel DSD up to 11.2MHz.
Thanks Very much.
Shankha
I am late to this thread but can resolve this question I think. MusicCast specs are not the same for all devices. The WX 021 are cheap and do not support at least DSD 11.2. Yamaha tech support confirmed this to me saying at that price point they could not go all out! The WX 50 speakers do.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis