Streaming DAC Preamp

• Thread starter Carlos rodriguez
  • Start date
C

Carlos rodriguez

Junior Audioholic
Hello everyone, I currently have a 2 channel setup with RF83s, Sunfire 300 Two amp and a Yamaha WXC-50 Streamer/internet radio/preamp/dac. Sounds fabulous to my ears, but the sound profile changes when the volume is turned up, it gets a little hot. From what I have read, the WXC-50 volume looks like the culprit here. It will be used in another setup, so I need another solution for this one.

I am looking for a streamer/dac/internet radio/preamp that is MATCHED to the level of the RF83 speakers and the Sunfire amp's abilities. Not a US$10k exotic DAC, which would be overkill. I have been looking at the Oppor Sonica DAC, Cambridge Audio CXN and 851N, Naim, Aurelic Alair, Mcintosh MB50, among others. Since I am international I can't really buy to audition and return to try different ones, so I have to research a lot before purchasing.

All suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What do you mean the WXC-50 volume is the culprit? You mean the output voltage level of it's pre-amp section not matching up well to the sensitivity of your amp? Don't know how you're mixing the speakers into this equation, that's a relationship between your amp's output and your speakers.

C

Carlos rodriguez

Junior Audioholic
That was my best guess from what I have researched, but I really don't know the cause. I see that a lot of effort is put into the volume control, analog is apparently favored, but don't really know why?

What would be your guess on a hot loud volume?

I recently auditioned a B&W 802 on full Mcintosh gear, US$100K+ system, it sounded amazing at ALL volumes. I know it is not comparable to my system but I would like to slowly upgrade as I can. I need to get a second preamp/dac/streamer and was thinking of taking the next step up!

What do you suggest?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That was my best guess from what I have researched, but I really don't know the cause. I see that a lot of effort is put into the volume control, analog is apparently favored, but don't really know why?

What would be your guess on a hot loud volume?

I recently auditioned a B&W 802 on full Mcintosh gear, US$100K+ system, it sounded amazing at ALL volumes. I know it is not comparable to my system but I would like to slowly upgrade as I can. I need to get a second preamp/dac/streamer and was thinking of taking the next step up!

What do you suggest?
I think you're just not familiar with how all these components work together :) You're all over the place with assumptions. I, like Wayne, don't know what you mean by "hot loud volume". Start there, what is that?

C

Carlos rodriguez

Junior Audioholic
I think you're just not familiar with how all these components work together :) You're all over the place with assumptions. I, like Wayne, don't know what you mean by "hot loud volume". Start there, what is that?
What I mean by "hot" is that it gets a out of control, or balance, and gets a little loose. I am sure these still are not the correct terms to describe it, but it is not as pleasant as at lower volumes.

I don't listen to this level ever, but since I have to get another preamp/dac/streamer for another room, might as well take a step up.

Thank you for taking the time to help a newbie through, greatly appreciated!!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
If you meant the Sunfire Signature 300, it's input sensitivity is 1.64V, a little on the low side but the WXC-50 is rated 2V so I doubt that is the issue. I assume RF-83 is the Klipsch RF-83 and if so, you needs very little power to get them loud enough to dangerous level.

So I suspect either your Sunfire amp is defective (the Sig 300 model must be over 20 years old now), or your Klipsch speakers simply don't sound good when playing loud, hearing damaging level loud. You can't compare the RF-83 to the B&W 802 diamond.

I suggest you try another amplifier first before suspecting the much newer Yamaha streamer.

C

Carlos rodriguez

Junior Audioholic
If you meant the Sunfire Signature 300, it's input sensitivity is 1.64V, a little on the low side but the WXC-50 is rated 2V so I doubt that is the issue. I assume RF-83 is the Klipsch RF-83 and if so, you needs very little power to get them loud enough to dangerous level.

So I suspect either your Sunfire amp is defective (the Sig 300 model must be over 20 years old now), or your Klipsch speakers simply don't sound good when playing loud, hearing damaging level loud. You can't compare the RF-83 to the B&W 802 diamond.

I suggest you try another amplifier first before suspecting the much newer Yamaha streamer.
Perfect, great suggestion. Will try with another amp and go from there.

Thank you!!

C

Carlos rodriguez

Junior Audioholic
UPDATE: Hello, I included into the system a Sunfire Vacuum Tube Preamp, and use the Yamaha WXC-50 only as a DAC and player, and all I can say is WOW!!! Replacing the preamp duties from the WXC-50 to the Sunfire made a world of difference, the sound a way more coherent at all volumes and sounds sweeter.

The Sunfire Tube preamp and the Sunfire 300 Two amp pair incredibly well with the Klipsch RF-83's, very happy with my setup right now!!

Thank you all for your help and guidance.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis