Streaming audio to receiver, and DAC considerations

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Its just a stereo DAC isnt it? (With a pre inside also)
Why a second one?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

the machine

the machine

Audioholic
Okay I didn't know you are talking about two systems in different locations. To bypass the 7012's DAC, you have to connect the external DAC outputs to the 7012's analog inputs and use direct or pure direct modes. You can still use the subwoofers.
Like 1.5 years later, and I'm back at it. I only just tried this DAC out in the setup, but I'm a bit confused. Running bluetooth through my iPhone to 7012, I can't get the volume past 70ish without fear for my life. From PC>D90>RCA>7012, there's a lot of room left at the same volume on the pot. Bass is significantly quieter.

Am I doing something wrong?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Is there a particular reason you are not using Airplay to get audio to the receiver from the iPhone? Is a digital connection to the Marantz from the PC sounding so bad that a DAC is necessary?

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Like 1.5 years later, and I'm back at it. I only just tried this DAC out in the setup, but I'm a bit confused. Running bluetooth through my iPhone to 7012, I can't get the volume past 70ish without fear for my life. From PC>D90>RCA>7012, there's a lot of room left at the same volume on the pot. Bass is significantly quieter.

Am I doing something wrong?
70 is very loud(and is supposed to be), the external DAC route you probably don’t send a full volume line level signal. The D90 might not have its volume control at max or where it will just send the unmodified signal, many DAC/pre’s have a DAC only setting which disconnects its own volume control. Or the PC lowers the volume before sending the signal to the DAC. (Or both)
It doesn’t really matter where the main volume knob is as long as its not too soft or too loud and there isn’t any unwanted noise but its worth checking that at least the PC doesn’t mess with the volume, PCs are not known to do a good job with that.

the machine

the machine

Audioholic
Is there a particular reason you are not using Airplay to get audio to the receiver from the iPhone? Is a digital connection to the Marantz from the PC sounding so bad that a DAC is necessary?
how dare you blaspheme in such a manner. This is audioholics.

Kidding, but I just want to see the change in sound quality going from using the onboard DAC to a TOTL AKM 4499 DAC. I use one in my headphone setup and it is phenomenal. I was really surprised about the volume though. Probably has something to do with volume level of the PC. Pretty sure in my headphone setup I have the volume set to max on the PC when I select D90 as the output. I’ll check it in the HT set up tomorrow

the machine

the machine

Audioholic
70 is very loud(and is supposed to be), the external DAC route you probably don’t send a full volume line level signal. The D90 might not have its volume control at max or where it will just send the unmodified signal, many DAC/pre’s have a DAC only setting which disconnects its own volume control. Or the PC lowers the volume before sending the signal to the DAC. (Or both)
It doesn’t really matter where the main volume knob is as long as its not too soft or too loud and there isn’t any unwanted noise but its worth checking that at least the PC doesn’t mess with the volume, PCs are not known to do a good job with that.

i am running it in pure DAC mode

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
how dare you blaspheme in such a manner. This is audioholics.

Kidding, but I just want to see the change in sound quality going from using the onboard DAC to a TOTL AKM 4499 DAC. I use one in my headphone setup and it is phenomenal. I was really surprised about the volume though. Probably has something to do with volume level of the PC. Pretty sure in my headphone setup I have the volume set to max on the PC when I select D90 as the output. I’ll check it in the HT set up tomorrow
No worries, I was just asking why certain things are being used in a certain way. The right way is the way that sounds best to you in the end.

the machine

the machine

Audioholic
No worries, I was just asking why certain things are being used in a certain way. The right way is the way that sounds best to you in the end.
Many, def not all, but many of us do things that may make no sense financially or practically to get a marginal improvement in sound quality.

Even via Bluetooth, I didn’t think the audio quality was bad at all. Just want to see if there is noticeable improvement, plus I kinda wanted to buy a second D90 since the 4499 isn’t available any more. If my main one ever died, I have a back up.

the machine

the machine

Audioholic
Circling back on this. I tested again today. Noticeable difference in sound quality between the D90 vs bluetooth. Everything is much clearer, separation, although I found it to be slightly brighter which I didn't particularly care for as I find the tweeter of the SVS speakers to be a bit sibilant and splashy on S's and crash cymbals. I bought Sopra No1s last night though so we will see if that makes any different </brag> =D

Regarding the volume, no change. I don't have an spl meter, but it felt like I had to put the 7012 about 10 ticks higher via the D90 vs bluetooth to achieve the same level. I don't know the technology side of bluetooth but is it something with the signal being sent at a louder volume? Like the internal amp on the iPhone just generally runs louder than out of a PC?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Have you tried Airplay 2 vs Bluetooth from the iPhone directly to the receiver? I'm curious what you think of the sound produced using it compared to what you have used so far. Have you compared the Apple Music app to Tidal? They will both deliver lossless over Airplay 2 but each require an external DAC for hi-res. Here is an interesting video concerning hi-res from Apple Music.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis