little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
So I started looking at streaming devices and the Roku ultra seems like a decent choice. Then I started wondering, what's the highest audio resolution ARC can provide. Dolby digital Plus, right? Then I asked myself, what's best audio resolution you can get from any streaming device? Correct me if I'm wrong, but's still Dolby digital plus. Now it does sound good, but when I put in a disc that has a lossless format like Dolby TrueHD, it sounds Noticeably better than DD+.

So for the kind and knowledgeable folks here who recommend a standalone streaming device over a 4k disc player that also streams, what am I to gain? Other than possibly regular updates to the streaming software. I was looking at another thread Gene started, asking if Blu-ray and DVD formats are dead. I really hope not. How can that even be a consideration when there seems to be no suitable replacement for the incredible audio you can get from a disc? I know there a lot of people who care more about convenience over having the ultimate sound quality, but for many enthusiast here on this site, that's not the case. Does anyone know if Netflix, Vudu, Amazon, etc, etc, etc have any plans to offer lossless audio with their streams?

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
So I started looking at streaming devices and the Roku ultra seems like a decent choice. Then I started wondering, what's the highest audio resolution ARC can provide. Dolby digital Plus, right? Then I asked myself, what's best audio resolution you can get from any streaming device? Correct me if I'm wrong, but's still Dolby digital plus. Now it does sound good, but when I put in a disc that has a lossless format like Dolby TrueHD, it sounds Noticeably better than DD+.

So for the kind and knowledgeable folks here who recommend a standalone streaming device over a 4k disc player that also streams, what am I to gain? Other than possibly regular updates to the streaming software. I was looking at another thread Gene started, asking if Blu-ray and DVD formats are dead. I really hope not. How can that even be a consideration when there seems to be no suitable replacement for the incredible audio you can get from a disc? Does Netflix, Vudu, Amazon, etc, etc, etc have any plans to offer lossless audio with their streams?
The main issue isn't with the streaming device, but with a streaming service (garbage in, garbage out).
That said, not all hope lost. Netflix is changing the status quo on DD+ only audio:
https://medium.com/netflix-techblog/engineering-a-studio-quality-experience-with-high-quality-audio-at-netflix-eaa0b6145f32
Also some content in Apple's Itunes Store support Dolby Atmos (latest Apple TV 4k would be required)
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207949

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I have the Apple 4K in 2 rooms and it’s great if you don’t mind using your iPhone for a remote. The remote it comes with is garbage. (My Yamaha RXA2060 remote can control the basic menu stuff, other room is RXA770, but these Yamaha remotes are not backlit like the newer Yamaha remotes)

Roku has a really easy to use remote it comes with but lacks some of the features that the Apple 4K has.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Update. I wanted to say thanks to everybody, for your expertise and insight on this. I purchased the Roku Ultra today from BB. Plugged it into an HDMI input on the AVR. Got it all set up! So far so good!! Great 4k picture and sound. Thanks again.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis