Streamer

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC (HTPC) & Media Servers' started by miggs, Jan 8, 2018.

1. miggs Audioholic Intern

miggs
    Trying to decide on a stream box and I need some help. I have been trying to run Plex with my Synology 214play NAS and my videos buffer/skip a lot. I am assuming it is a CPU issue with the NAS. So, I am in a market for something else to supplement my NAS.

I am looking at the nvidia shield since it can be used as a plex server and any other TV app.
    The apple tv 4k is also in the running since I have a sony 900e 4k TV and I want to take advantage of the 4k capabilities. I have also read that the apple tv 4K works well with Infuse 5 (videos don't skip) and the infuse plays anything, so buffering should go away, not sure (have not tried this app).

The other option will be an xbox one since it also has the capability for plex and can also be used to stream tv apps. The only reason I was thinking of the xbox is because I also need a 4K blue ray player and I will be able to get the best bang for my money. However, I am not much into games (I have a wii collecting dust).

I am just not sure which way to go. See my dilemma? Any suggestions?????
  2. NINaudio Full Audioholic

NINaudio
    The Nvidia Shield is a fantastic streamer and gets my vote. Works great for plex (I have my whole music collection on plex), and it is compatible with 4K applications.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. pwlong Audioholic Intern

pwlong
    I'm running several Fire TV 2s and they work pretty well EXCEPT they don't handle all OTA interlaced content well (recorded by MythTV, playback through Kodi loaded onto the AFTV2).

All the research I've done confirms NINaudio's recommendation that the Shield is the box that handles anything. I don't own one, but if I were replacing one of my Fire TVs, I'd get a Shield.
  4. BoredSysAdmin Audioholic Overlord

BoredSysAdmin
    It all depends how technical you're and how much time are you willing to spend on it.
    I recently purchased few AMLogic 905x streamers/boxes. One came as gift from fellow forum regular (Droidbox) two I got on ebay. Specifically Khadas vim Pro (v1, not 912 based v2). First one was $56 and I got second (with IR remote) for $22. At that price it's just worth it as even a test bench device.
    All of these already (or will be soon) running LibreElec, which is just very little linux, just enough to run Kodi.
    Besides complicated initial setup, only complain so far is official Plex for Kodi client which has slow GUI.
    On up side, it handles any codec I throw at it including h265 10 bit , including 4k.

But as mentioned above, If you don't want the hassles of DIY, Shield TV is really strong and powerful streamer, thou if you intend to use it as Plex Server, I read somewhere than you'd be better off with Shield TV Pro model.
  5. panteragstk Audioholic Field Marshall

panteragstk
    Have you looked at using the Plex Rasberry Pi image? More expensive than your boxes, but I figure it'll get you what you want.

I've noticed that the plex kodi connect causes issues with my plex server. It's like it hogs the connection to the point I have to bounce the docker. It could the the skin I'm using, but it's pretty odd.
  6. BoredSysAdmin Audioholic Overlord

BoredSysAdmin
    pi3 doesn't have juice to support modern video codecs (ie hevc) nor 4k, nor HD audio passthru afaik
  7. panteragstk Audioholic Field Marshall

panteragstk
    Ah, makes sense.
  8. sholling Audioholic Ninja

sholling
    From my research the main differences between the base shield and the Pro is the Pro has a 500GB hard drive drive built in vs 16GB of storage in the base model and the pro has couple of (for most people) unnecessary bells and whistles. Both have USB 3.0 ports for additional storage. They even ship with Plex Server preinstalled. I don't use my Shield TVs as servers because I have a QNAP 451+ which has more than enough power to stream non-transcoded 1080P to at least one (and probably more) TV. From what I've read the CPU performance isn't all that far from the Shield's Tegra X1.

https://www.cnx-software.com/2014/0...rable-to-intel-celeron-bay-trail-d-j1900-soc/
  9. BoredSysAdmin Audioholic Overlord

BoredSysAdmin
    I could be dead wrong, but someone mentioned that plex server on shield would only use internal storage for thumbnails, OTA DVR recordings etc... these could take lots of space.
  10. sholling Audioholic Ninja

sholling
    Since I've never used a Shield for OTA DVR recording it's possible that they are correct. On the other hand a bit of googling finds multiple articles claiming that an external USB drive works just fine as long as it's been formatted to the Shield's preferred format. I'm not equipped to test the DVR feature so I cannot give you a definitive answer, however this early 2017 TechHive article may shed some light on the subject.

https://www.techhive.com/article/31...-into-an-ota-dvr-with-hdhomerun-and-plex.html

"2. Plug the USB hard drive into your Nvidia Shield, head to Settings > Storage & reset, and select General USB Drive. Select “Erase & format as device storage” and follow the on-screen instructions. Warning: This will delete anything that’s currently on the USB drive, and anything stored on the drive after formatting will not be available outside of the Shield. The Shield does not currently support writing Plex recordings to conventionally formatted hard drives or network-attached storage devices."
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1