Stream flac wirelessly to a/v receiver??

N

Nestor

Senior Audioholic
going to be powering a pair of Energy RC-70's with a Yamaha RX-V863. I will pick up one of these 3.5mm/RCA when I order all the banana plugs, etc, and test out how it sounds. Thanks for the input. So the only other "standalone" option is the squeezebox? I dont have iPhone or android or any of that.
There are others out there, such as Sonos and Roku mentioned earlier, and each have their advantages. Apple Air is another, though I have little familiarity.

If you wish to keep your laptop in the loop, but want an outboard digital interface, you may wish to consider something like this:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5638411&CatId=4489

Not as expensive as the Sonos, and would take advantage of a higher-quality DAC in a receiver so-equipped.

Last edited:
caper26

caper26

Full Audioholic
Thanks again. I will have a look at that. Would a laptop with HDMI-out be ideal?

caper26

caper26

Full Audioholic
Was just suggested an external USB sound card with digital out, such as the creative sound blaster x-fi. What are your thoughts on this?

indulger

indulger

Audioholic
+1 on the squeezebox. Loving it. I can control it from the remote or from the computer.

caper26

caper26

Full Audioholic
I ended up setting up network sharing for my music folders and then installing foobar on the PC connected to my home theater. Works perfect, better than boxee as far I'm concerned bc I don't have to mess around with it's UI just to play music. Nothing wrong with their UI but it takes a lot longer than just loading up foobar and pressing play.
I get freezing when I use this method (FLAC shared via homegroup). Foobar 'freezes' for almost a second usually at least once per song, sometimes more than 10....its terrible.

C

cutter

Audioholic
I have had a sonos system in my house for the past 4 years. it is easy to use, sounds great, and is about as close to plug-and-play as it comes. But, it isn't the most inexpensive option. I've also had a squeezebox, it worked but was more labor intensive... but I'm not all that computer savvy.

good luck!

caper26

caper26

Full Audioholic
Got a Micro II USB Analog/digital dongle. Can't get optical to work on it. Will eventually get a sonos system...maybe next year. Looks amazing.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis