Stream FLAC files to Pioneer AVR??

W

wtrimble

Junior Audioholic
Ok, I have an Pioneer 1222k. My goal is to stream FLAC files I have stored on a

WD My Book 2TB External Hard Drive Storage USB 3.0 File Backup and Storage

Amazon.com: WD My Book 2TB External Hard Drive Storage USB 3.0 File Backup and Storage: Electronics

I dont' know how to do it and I'm hoping it's possible since I got the Hard Drive just for this purpose and have spent hours ripping my CDs to FLAC :)

I currently have a LAN connection to my AVR from my computer where the Hard Drive is connected. The only way I know how to stream music is the Media Server input, but it only streams music from Windows Media Player, and WMP does not support FLAC files :(

So I need input on how to stream my FLAC files on my hard drive to my Pioneer. Oh yeah, the receiver does not recognize the hard drive when it is connected through usb to it. I believe it has to do with the way the hard drive is formatted (not FAT32).

Please help!

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
Just looked at the manual, you are likely correct that the formatting is the issue over USB. For networking you can look at installing a piece of software that supports UPNP server. Plex server should do what you're looking for, also XBMC among many others.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
I use a Logitech product called squeezebox. I think it is discontinued but I they must have something similar. The squeezebox connects to my network by WiFi (It can also connect by ethernet cable.) I control the music I want hear from the squeezebox. The audio file is streamed from a hard drive on my network to the AV receiver through an optical connection. Works like a charm.

I

Irishman

Audioholic
Just looked at the manual, you are likely correct that the formatting is the issue over USB. For networking you can look at installing a piece of software that supports UPNP server. Plex server should do what you're looking for, also XBMC among many others.
Does Plex playback 96/24 FLAC or ALAC?

J

jcunwired

Audioholic
+1 for Squeezebox. Nothing similar right now, but rumor is there is a replacement in the pipeline. Hard to believe Logitech killed off the Squeezebox, easily the best and most convenient streamer on the market. My suggestion would be to pick one up from Ebay. Either the touch or the classic, the best control is your android/iDevice.

There are solutions for FLAC support in WMP though, google for solutions. There is also DLNA support in the Pioneer. While less friendly than a full music manager like squeezebox it is an alternative.

G

Grador

Does Plex playback 96/24 FLAC or ALAC?
It's not plex you need to worry about, it's the receiver.

A little background on how UPNP servers work, two methods: The first method, and the one you want, simply streams the files as is. UPNP does not stream in any special way of it's own, it simply makes the music files available to other devices on the network. This will give you 100% the quality of the file when it reaches the endpoint. The second method, used only when method one fails, UPNP (some) software (including plex) can transcode files from their original format into another one if the endpoint cannot play the original format. For instance if your receiver cannot play 96/24 FLAC plex could transcode the files to mp3 before sending them off.

You would probably be best off getting a streaming device though. Something like a WD TV would be able to see files shared on the network, eliminating the need for you to run any special software at all. The squeezebox's are nice, but I think they're horrifically overpriced. To clarify DLNA is synonymous with UPNP, the A/V manufacturers thought that UPNP didn't have a nice enough ring to it so they renamed it. As jcunwired said there are solutions to FLAC in WMP, but I'm not sure myself if they will add UPNP server support for the FLAC files, or simply playback. Additionally I rather dislike WMP as a player and server, so I would still suggest plex if you go that rout.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
According to specs you 1222 Pio does support FLAC files up-to max 192/24 so you don't need to worry about trans-coding flacs
WMP or any other free DLNA server (like Serviio media server or A Free DLNA Media Server For Mac, Windows, and Linux )

Also playback should be support straight from USB connection... You'd have to dig the manual for proper and supported folder/naming structure
and file system. only fat16/32 bit are supported. This means no xFat or NTFS or any Mac compatible hfs

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
There are very few (none?) modern AVR or 2-channel receivers that do not support FLAC.
^^^
This is Bullcrap. Some do, some don't. Pretty much most 2-ch receiver won't support flac.
AVRs - depends - some support flac, some partially support flac and some don't at all including "modern" onces

J

jcunwired

Audioholic
Your assignment, find two receivers currently on the market that do not support FLAC.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Your assignment, find two receivers currently on the market that do not support FLAC.
Not that I have to prove anything to you, but here you go
Yamaha RX-V373, Yamaha HTR-3064, Denon AVR-1312

Not to mention Outlaw, Sherwood, Samsung and most Sony products

Still FLAC support doesn't automatically make it support 192/24 flacs (not that matters much for sound quality)
I think Denon was one of the first to include flac hd support in their avrs

J

jcunwired

Audioholic
Not that I have to prove anything to you
Well yes you do, when you claim my comment is "bullcrap".

but here you go
Yamaha RX-V373, Yamaha HTR-3064, Denon AVR-1312

Not to mention Outlaw, Sherwood, Samsung and most Sony products
Now this reply is "bullcrap". Not only were they bargain basement selections, they are also discontinued. Check my comment again:

There are very few (none?) modern AVR or 2-channel receivers that do not support FLAC.
Still FLAC support doesn't automatically make it support 192/24 flacs
The OP didn't mention 192/24, just FLAC. You do know that the two are not synonymous, don't you? I just noticed your signature, just checking to be sure I'm not arguing with an idiot. I'm not quite ready to go that far. Yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
W

wtrimble

Junior Audioholic
The OP didn't mention 192/24, just FLAC. You do know that the two are not synonymous, don't you? I just noticed your signature, just checking to be sure I'm not arguing with an idiot. I'm not quite ready to go that far. Yet.
Thanks for the replies (for the most part). What is the difference between 192/24 and FLAC? Does it have to do with bit rate and what not? I'm using Winamp to rip my CDs to FLAC files, any idea how it is ripping to FLAC?

G

Grador

Thanks for the replies (for the most part). What is the difference between 192/24 and FLAC? Does it have to do with bit rate and what not? I'm using Winamp to rip my CDs to FLAC files, any idea how it is ripping to FLAC?
192/24 is just specifying the sample rate/bitrate. If you're using exclusively CDs then they will all be 44.1/16 as that is the sample and bit rate of a CD.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis