Stranglehold demo out for PS3

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Using the Unreal3 engine, movement is good but the graphics were actually not that impressive, even the cutscenes. The camera is free floating, but I didn't see a way to automatically center it - that could get annoying. The level of interactivity with the surrounding area is pretty cool, but at times can actually be a little overdone. The slow-mo stuff is cool, but isn't new really as it was in the Jet Li game previously Rise to Honor (which this one seems a bit too much like, though I enjoyed that game). I do like the "standoff" feature that is also slo-mo and allows you to dodge bullets and fire back at the same time against multiple targets. It did get choppy a few times surprisingly, and I do believe it is only 30FPS, which many of the Unreal based games are. Based on this demo, my interest level has dropped a bit. It looks like fun, but maybe not quite enough substance and I am now not sure if it is a buy....though I do still want Hard Boiled :D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
After playing through the demo a few times my opinion of this game has improved. It still has some minor things that I don't like, but overall it is very entertaining.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
I downloaded the demo, but wasn't able to play it. It tells me that it can't play with my current video settings. Don't know what the hell that means. :mad:

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
That's weird man. Do you have it set to 1080i? Maybe it is 720p only? I know it runs at 30 frames but I don't know if that is related to the issue.

A

Abear

Audiophyte
The demo was ok, after you complete the demo though, it shows alot more throughout the rest of the game, looks pretty interesting, could be good.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Multiplayer looks like it could be fun for a while.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Finally got a chance to play the demo a bit. So far it seems pretty fun, rather Max Paynesque. I am not sure how much I like the slide over everything feature, but I am sure I will get used to it.

So far my biggest complaints are the occasional framerate drop and there was very audible compression artifacts in the opening scene. Hopefully they are gone by the final version.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The sliding over every object is the one most annoying thing, but it has to do with how many objects are in the area...if there were fewer of them, it would be less of an issue. Hard Boiled difficulty level is pretty darn hard! I got spin attack and died before I could use it...

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Are you still planning on picking the game up for the BD of Hard Boiled? I am contemplating it, but 70 bucks is a little steep for me especially after playing the demo. It just wasn't convincing enough although I really need to check the movie out as I have heard many good things. I have added it to my queue but going back to SD is so hard...

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Well, with the average review of HS, I think I may pick this one up instead, though the $70 doesn't excite me, at least that means only $10 for the movie. The demo said the movie would support 720p, 1080i and 1080p, though I'm curious if that means it is getting upscaled by the player or if it was remastered in 1080p.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis