Strange sound from one speaker at 180Hz

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
@TLS Guy
If I understand correctly, anything with the VC getting overly hot and potentially damaged should also be accompanied by the smell of the adhesive burning... Is this correct?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
@TLS Guy
If I understand correctly, anything with the VC getting overly hot and potentially damaged should also be accompanied by the smell of the adhesive burning... Is this correct?
No, it is not correct. That only occurs if an amp does not have speaker protection against DC offset, or it is grossly over driven. Lesser cases can, and do, cause a variety of VC failures. In my experience the latter or more common than the former.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
No, it is not correct. That only occurs if an amp does not have speaker protection against DC offset, or it is grossly over driven. Lesser cases can, and do, cause a variety of VC failures. In my experience the latter or more common than the former.
Thank you!

O

OHMisback

Audioholic
"Yes a voice coil getting overly hot", will cause a smell if it melts something. Wire is made to smell a certain way just for that purpose. You identify problems BY SMELL.
If I understand your question correctly.
I don't know if you can, BUT pull the driver and inspect the interior of the enclosure. IF wires are dangling, I usually silicone and tape the loose wires in place. Inspect the driver and SMELL it. If it has damage it usually shows signs of bluing or discoloration also. IF you inspect the driver and it passes a visual inspection with care taken to LOOK at any foreign materials that may be stuck to the magnets or between speaker components, give it a shake. Adhesives that fall off behind dust covers are a pain. I've had a few of those. Shake the driver and listen. If it's behind the dust cap you can hear it. Either type of phase plug (fixed or not) or dust cap can be removed, to remove debris inside the cavity.

It's always a good idea to rotate drivers 180 degrees every couple of years. The bigger the driver the more it will become part of normal maintenance. I have Jensen Imperials. They get the treatment every 3 years. They were my FIL, it was actually part of the original instructions when he commissioned them to be built in the late 50s. Rotate the drivers, check securements and check electrical connections. They are over 70 years old now, they look new. The surrounds are pleated silk. 100 years or more maybe? They will outlast me.

Get a stethoscope keep the volume low and listen. I have found a multitude of issues with a scope, including bad plywood panels with voids causing weird sounds.

Last but not least. throw that recording away. :) Happy hunting.

O

okay.see

Audioholic Intern
What speakers do you have? I suspect that the VC is coming away from the cone, or you have early unravelling of the VC. It sounds as if the driver needs re-coning most likely. It is really important to know what these speakers are.
I'm using mid-90s RCA SP2700T C. I ended up going to part-express and replacing the 8" woofer with a pair of Dayton Audios. Voicing seems similar to original. Definitely doesn't sound bad. And took care of that annoying resonance. Cost me all of about $80.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis