D

Darrek

Audiophyte
Hello :>

Okay here's my problem. After enjoying digitial audio during DVD playback I got to thinking that my cable box is capable of digital audio as well. So went out and picked up a digital coaxial cable and ran it to my reciever and set the receiver to digital input for that device. And Voila, no sound whatsoever.
So seeing no other steps that I could have missed I decided to call my cable company and ask them for some advice. They tell me digital audio has been disabled by the manufacturer. *blink* Why have a digital audio out if the damn thing is disabled?! Makes no sense to me.

So I guess my question is .... is it possible the cable support guy doesnt know anything more than I do about digital audio? If it matters my cable company is Adelphia.

Thanks in advance,

Darrek

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Yes on both counts- the support guys sometimes don't know a thing and the digital out may be disabled. You may need a subscription or it may be that your cable provider simply doesn't use the capability yet.

A couple years ago I had to go fix the connection for a buddy of mine- when he got cable the install guy friggin' installed it wrong and it wouldn't work! :eek: It was a simple matter to disconnect it and hook it up right. There's definately some morons working for my local company, or at least there were.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Way back when in the late 90's, before DD/DTS...

...I was installing a friend's DPL HT, via some relatively small local company that chose to use a Scientific Atlanta cable box. I got his VHS stereo working fing through ther receiver but when I hooked up the cable box's red/white analog stereo outputs and using a known stereo signal, all I gitwas mono.

Afteravbout an hour on the phone diteh cable klutxs, inc I finally got someone who confirmedthat the red/white analog outputs, although marked stereo, are actiuallt mono. They had the boxes "decontented" to save a few pennies and nobody cared anyway.

Well, duh! I guess we're nobody.

D

Darrek

Audiophyte
Rob Babcock said:
Yes on both counts- the support guys sometimes don't know a thing and the digital out may be disabled. You may need a subscription or it may be that your cable provider simply doesn't use the capability yet.

A couple years ago I had to go fix the connection for a buddy of mine- when he got cable the install guy friggin' installed it wrong and it wouldn't work! :eek: It was a simple matter to disconnect it and hook it up right. There's definately some morons working for my local company, or at least there were.
So it's likely a ploy for the cable company to get you to upgrade to their HDTV service. Gotcha :> It just seems odd that they'd sell you the package as digital cable but in fact its only digital video and even then its only _some_ premium channels.

Thanks for the quick response and not laughing at us poor audio newbs :)

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
It's highly likely that the cable support guy didn't know what he was talking about (I've seen that far too many times).

If he is wrong and the digital out is not disabled, there is one more thing to check. As was said, not all of the channels have digital audio (even those in the 'digital tier').

With Time Warner, some of the channels have analog only audio output. You have to connect both digital cables and analog cables and have the receiver set to Auto to choose between them.

D

Darrek

Audiophyte
Anonymous said:
It's highly likely that the cable support guy didn't know what he was talking about (I've seen that far too many times).

If he is wrong and the digital out is not disabled, there is one more thing to check. As was said, not all of the channels have digital audio (even those in the 'digital tier').

With Time Warner, some of the channels have analog only audio output. You have to connect both digital cables and analog cables and have the receiver set to Auto to choose between them.
Ahh-ha! There in lies the problem. My receiver must be rather old, Pioneer VSX-D510. There is unfortunately no auto signal selection. You must choose Digital or Analog. You can switch back and forth through the remove but what a pain in the butt that would be for each individual channel. I guess I'll have to suffer with analog cable tv for now :> Thanks for your response, it was quite helpful.

zipper

zipper

Full Audioholic
.............which is why I switched to satellite about 4 years ago. I realize it's not an option for everyone, but the install is rather simple(in most cases) & you are your own technician :eek:

But even with digital SAT's the majority of content is only in stereo........

J

jrfuda

Audioholic Intern
Guys, I thought the same of my Dish box when I first got it.

I connected its SPDIF out to my receiver and got nothing.

I later played with the box's settings. In the menu there was a setting for the digital audio output. It could be set to "DD Only" or "DD/PCM" it was currently set to "DD Only."

Changing it to "DD/PCM" made the output start working, and I can now listen to digital audio from the Dish box (It's a Dish 522 DVR).

The way the setting works when on "DD Only" is that it only outputs when the program has a DD soundtrack. The "DD/PCM" setting makes the output work regardless of what the program content is.

Maybe there's a similar setting on your box. (I think most DVD players have a similar setting to).

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
Darrek, its time to accept DishNetwork into your house as your personal television saviour. And don't forget the DVR. :)

D

Darrek

Audiophyte
Rock&Roll Ninja said:
Darrek, its time to accept DishNetwork into your house as your personal television saviour. And don't forget the DVR. :)
I wish :) I live in an apartment and they don't allow dishes :( But definately the way to go when I buy a house :)

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
HAVE YOU GONE THROUGH YOUR MENUS?

Digital output usually is in the menu of your cable box. I have had analog, digital, hd, and now DVR/HD cable boxes and as soon as I went to the digital box, I have been able to use the digital connection and it has worked for everything. The box even converts the analog channels to digital.

I don't think my cable company charges one cent more for me to have the HD cable box over the standard digital cable box, so I was happy to use that instead. Call and ask about that. But FIRST, go through your menu and put it on a digital station and see what you get. It should be there.

D

Darrek

Audiophyte
BMXTRIX said:
HAVE YOU GONE THROUGH YOUR MENUS?

Digital output usually is in the menu of your cable box. I have had analog, digital, hd, and now DVR/HD cable boxes and as soon as I went to the digital box, I have been able to use the digital connection and it has worked for everything. The box even converts the analog channels to digital.

I don't think my cable company charges one cent more for me to have the HD cable box over the standard digital cable box, so I was happy to use that instead. Call and ask about that. But FIRST, go through your menu and put it on a digital station and see what you get. It should be there.
Well why didn't I think of that?! Well you're right. I could change my cable box to Digital Dolby sound. But unfortunately my box does not convert analog to digital. So I get digital sound for premium channels (HBO, Cinemax etc) but basic channels there is no audio unless I switch modes on the remote. But what a pain it is to do that for each channel. I assume its my receivers fault for only being able to do one or the other. Digital or analog settings, there is no "auto".

I wonder if I had an hd box if it would make a difference? If not, I guess I'm stuck til I move and can get dish network. Thanks for the help though, I was excited for a few minutes there! :)

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I was just making sure you had done the menu thing... seems so obvious until someone doesn't actually do it, then you wonder why you didn't ask them to do that first. :)

DEFINITELY: Call your cable company and find out what other boxes, digital or HD that they have. I am only using a digital connection between my HD/DVR box and my receiver. No audio problems on anything.

Who is your cable provider and what type of cable box do you have? Others may have even more info to give than I do, but I would expect that the cable company can be put on the line for a better product for you.

D

Darrek

Audiophyte
BMXTRIX said:
I was just making sure you had done the menu thing... seems so obvious until someone doesn't actually do it, then you wonder why you didn't ask them to do that first. :)

DEFINITELY: Call your cable company and find out what other boxes, digital or HD that they have. I am only using a digital connection between my HD/DVR box and my receiver. No audio problems on anything.

Who is your cable provider and what type of cable box do you have? Others may have even more info to give than I do, but I would expect that the cable company can be put on the line for a better product for you.
I sent my cable company an email inquiring about other cable boxes and if in fact I could get digital sound in all channels. I've yet to hear a response so far. As for the info you requested:

Adelphia Cable Company
Scientific Atalanta Explorer 3100 cable box
Pioneer VSX-D510 receiver.

Thanks again for all your help, I appreciate it.

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
For a very short time I had that cable box. Although it was a very problematic model, constantly locking up and rebooting, I don't recall having the problems you seem to be encountering.
I suspect it may be that your cable provider is not properly supporting the box's capabilities.

D

Darrek

Audiophyte
NomoSony said:
For a very short time I had that cable box. Although it was a very problematic model, constantly locking up and rebooting, I don't recall having the problems you seem to be encountering.
I suspect it may be that your cable provider is not properly supporting the box's capabilities.

Yep thats it exactly. I got a response from their tech support today. Seems the first 100 channels aren't broadcast in digital. So no matter what box I have I won't get digital sound from them. Ahh well was worth a shot.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis