stranded vs solid conductors in a video coax

M

Mark7

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>What is a better coax for video cable a solid center conductor or a stranded conductor? I know that with a larger guage cable like 18awg flexabilty might be a problem but what about a thinner 20 guage solid center conductor? Will it preform just as good as a stranded conductor and is it any more likely to be damaged over time?</font>

M

Mark7

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>I thought this would be an easy question to answer. I got 16 views but no replies.</font>

S

steve

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>This is a loaded question as there is much controversy over this very issue.  Some begin to use terms like &quot;strand jumping&quot; to identify issues that are said to be inherent with stranded cable.  While strand jumping does exist to some extent, it does not create diode rectification issues for audio or video claimed by some exotic cable vendors and is therefore a bogus claim.

Solid core wire does not necessarily improve performance.  It can increase the area of the cable, but if you use a proper guage stranded conductor, the difference in resistance values based on area is negligible.  The other problem with solid core wire is its stiffness.  By using solid coax, it will be challenging to back your DVD player/receiver TV up to the wall, cabinet or rack.

What's probably more important than stranded or solid conductors, is shielding and termination.  Shielding is important in longer cables, say over 20-feet, as it will prevent EMI.  Termination is critical in all cables as poor solder joints or crimps will increase resistance and can degrade the signal.

For more information on Component Video Cables, check out my detailed article:  Component Video Cables</font>

M

Mark7

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>I've noticed that with common manufacturers the guage of coax used is similar to an RG59 cable. It is about a 20-22 guage conductor and can be in a stranded form or a solid conductor. Both Monster and Acoustic Research are companies that seem to be using this guage wire for component video and digital audio cables. Both these companies appear to make decent video cable. It is my assumption that as long as the cable is no more than 20 awg then fexiblity will not be a problem even with a solid core conductor. RG6 cables on the other hand, tend to be a little thicker. This cable is the kind used with cable tv. While it may make great component video cable, it also tends to be rather stiff. &nbsp;Is an RG6 type coax a bit of over kill in typical video applications?</font>

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis