Straight vs Standard Surround on Yamaha receivers

T

Tailspin70

Audioholic Intern
Having read through the manual and several posts here, I understand that Straight gives you the channels that are on the input (ie if signal is 2-ch stereo then that's all you get) so there's no upmixing or additional DSP processing.

If the incoming signal is DD 5.1 and receiver is in Standard Surround mode, I believe there's no DSP and no upmixing so would there be a difference between Standard and Straight in this scenario or is the result the same? I don't hear any difference between these two but I don't trust my ears.

James S.

James S.

Junior Audioholic
I have an RX-A3050, I am not sure what you mean by standard surround mode. Do you mean when it has the "DD Surround" showing on the display?

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
It seems on mine there is less processing involved in Standard which I use 90% of the time it allows the use of front and rear presence channel’s . On mine when straight is used no presence channel’s are used it’s just l/c/r and surrounds and subs and no processing is used as you get what the dude mixed in the soundtrack . I find the other options to be way over blown in delays and reverb but they can be tamed way down. I have found Drama to be useful for concerts as it seems to put forward the vocals really good . Most of these DSP programs need tweaked to the user’s liking.

Dmk

Dmk

Audiophyte
Straight only plays the incoming discrete channels, plus the subwoofer based on your bass management settings.

Surround decode will try and use all your speakers (DPL2, etc) if the incoming signal contains fewer channels, however I’m not sure if this applies to height channels on newer atmos models. If you have a 5.1 system and you get a DD 5.1 signal, the behavior is the same as straight.

Standard then builds on the behavior of Surround Decode and adds in the most mild of the cinema dsp profiles.

Im not much of a cinema dsp fan so I stick to straight or surround decode. Just depends on if you want upmixing.

T

Tailspin70

Audioholic Intern
I have an RX-A3050, I am not sure what you mean by standard surround mode. Do you mean when it has the "DD Surround" showing on the display?
On the RXV657 (and other older Yamahas) we have Standard Surround and Enhanced Surround modes. When Standard or Enhanced is selected "Standard" gets displayed on front panel. You would use this to decode a DD or DTS signal without upmixing or DSP. Not really clear on the difference between Enhanced vs Standard, you have access to the same decoders like PLII Movie and Neo:6 Cinema, but PLII Music and Neo:6 Music are only available on Standard.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis