Stop! Don't download newest version of iTunes.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Yesterday, I downloaded the latest version of iTunes on one of my Windows 10 laptops. Now, the Airport icon no longer functions to select between computer and Airport Express. And, the icon being orange instead of blue indicates I have no Airport Express/Network connection, which is false, since my other laptop which has not received the iTunes update works fine to deliver wirelessly to Airport Express. My devices work too. Usually this sort of thing is solved when folks starting sending messages to Apple, but now a day after the download, and re-downloading twice Airport still does not function.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Yesterday, I downloaded the latest version of iTunes on one of my Windows 10 laptops. Now, the Airport icon no longer functions to select between computer and Airport Express. And, the icon being orange instead of blue indicates I have no Airport Express/Network connection, which is false, since my other laptop which has not received the iTunes update works fine to deliver wirelessly to Airport Express. My devices work too. Usually this sort of thing is solved when folks starting sending messages to Apple, but now a day after the download, and re-downloading twice Airport still does not function.
Did you reinstall the previous version that worked?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Guess we shouldn't use iTunes now on our pc's (again)? :) Seems it was just recently you were saying how we didn't give them a chance....

S

sterling shoote

Did you reinstall the previous version that worked?
Tried to reinstall previous version but discovered that was not possible since my library had been reconfigured for newer version. Now, the good news, I ran a diagnosis regarding network connection from iTunes help menu. I was notified that Bonjour had been disabled, and for sharing I would need to enable it. I thought what the heck and went to internet to learn procedure to enable Bonjour. I followed instructions and apparently did indeed enable it. Still, no Airplay, so I restarted the laptop, and opened iTunes. Airplay worked again and all is well. Thing is, Bonjour must have been disabled during the download of the new version of iTunes because I did not disable it; and, in fact, it's a miracle that I was even able to re-enable it using my non-existent computer skills. At any rate, if any here now run into this problem, the fix is now known, although, I'm sure Apple would have it fixed pretty quickly too.

Last edited:
S

sterling shoote

Guess we shouldn't use iTunes now on our pc's (again)? :) Seems it was just recently you were saying how we didn't give them a chance....
You know lovinthehd, when things don't work I can get pretty bent out of shape, and this event was no exception; maybe, I was even more upset than usual, since I just love Airplay. At any rate, this was the most recent of audio/video problems this week: First my DVD Recorder will no longer record DVDs, 2. My other DVD Recorder will no longer record DVDs, and 3. My new Sony TV will not input Component Video. So, I'm glad I finally got Airplay to work again. I likely will not attempt to fix the DVD Recorders, and I'm hoping a new Component Cable will put my TV back in action for enjoyment of DVDs from my Sony DVP-S9000ES.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You know lovinthehd, when things don't work I can get pretty bent out of shape, and this event was no exception; maybe, I was even more upset than usual, since I just love Airplay. At any rate, this was the most recent of audio/video problems this week: First my DVD Recorder will no longer record DVDs, 2. My other DVD Recorder will no longer record DVDs, and 3. My new Sony TV will not input Component Video. So, I'm glad I finally got Airplay to work again. I likely will not attempt to fix the DVD Recorders, and I'm hoping a new Component Cable will put my TV back in action for enjoyment of DVDs from my Sony DVP-S9000ES.
I can tell! Think how I felt after hours of ripping cd's not to have iTunes handle it decently and rather favor their own download bullshit. Hope you get it worked out, I'd just change over to foobar2000 tho

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
You know you must get a hard time about this, after singing all those praises for iTunes :p

But, I will hand it to you, at least you came back with your honest complaints and posted those too.

But, yeah, it's just these types of issues with iTunes that drove me away from it years ago. And, not updating iTunes isn't really an option. You can likely get by without an update for a while, but eventually Apple is gonna force it on you (one way or another, especially if you have an iPhone, been there, done that).

And, I'm glad you got yourself going again, at least. I can't remember, have you tried Foobar2000 before? There are several reasons that many of us prefer Foobar. It is free, so nothing to lose except maybe a little time if it doesn't suit you.

S

sterling shoote

You know you must get a hard time about this, after singing all those praises for iTunes :p

But, I will hand it to you, at least you came back with your honest complaints and posted those too.

But, yeah, it's just these types of issues with iTunes that drove me away from it years ago. And, not updating iTunes isn't really an option. You can likely get by without an update for a while, but eventually Apple is gonna force it on you (one way or another, especially if you have an iPhone, been there, done that).

And, I'm glad you got yourself going again, at least. I can't remember, have you tried Foobar2000 before? There are several reasons that many of us prefer Foobar. It is free, so nothing to lose except maybe a little time if it doesn't suit you.
Yes, I've tried foobar 2000, as well as J. River Media Center. As I recall, I purchased a multi-channel audio file and had to use foobar, since it was a flac file, which I could not get to reside in iTunes. Although, my OPPO 205 saw the file in Network setting, it would not play the file gaplessly; thus, the only other way I could play the file gaplessly was to put it on a thumb drive for the OPPO to play from its front usb port. This has made foobar 2000 unnecessary, at least until I learn how to install another type of server which will allow gapless, then I will very likely put foobar back onto computer, for multi-channel download storage, and possibly multi-channel playback too if I ever get a pre/pro with HDMI input. BTW, the iTunes experience last week was just weird, in that the problem was Bonjour had been disabled. Now, I did not disable it, so I'm thinking that during the iTunes download it must have been at some point disabled while downloading and not re-enabled by iTunes. Just finding the program and getting to its advanced window to re-enable was a chore. All is well now, except I still have not gotten my DVD Recorders back into action, making me think I may just get a new VHS/DVD Recorder and be done with it. Thanks for your comments. You're a neat guy, I think you know which hog ate the cabbage.:D

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Saw your post today. Downloaded new iTunes yesterday, (on a Thinkpad). Tried it just now, and airplay works fine. Whew!

Slippery is right. I went for a couple years without downloading any iTunes upgrades because my version worked fine. But then new iPhone-X wouldn't sinc with the Thinkpad. Had to uninstall and re-install, and manually delete some stubborn files, (following instructions from Apple Help). Finally worked, but touch-and-go for a while. Now download every new version.

There may be better things out there, but I'm an old dog. New tricks, you know. As long as what I'm doing still works, I'm too lazy to swap.

S

sterling shoote

It seems that Bonjour becoming disabled upon installation of iTunes update is not uncommon or rare from what I have seen from Apple Support Groups on the internet, going back to 2009. This is my first issue; and, it may have been caused by me stepping away from the download while it was being installed. At any rate, as I earlier alluded, it is a miracle that I actually got to the Bonjour window to re-enable the program, since I have no experience in such matters. I just accidently noticed a prompt when I ran a diagnosis of iTunes that said Bonjour was disabled; and, Bonjour was a program which implemented file sharing. I did not at all suspect the program was tied to Airplay, so, getting to the program's window which allowed me to enable it was not thought by me to be what was needed to fix the Airplay function. Of course, I'm glad I was wrong about that.

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm glad it worked out for you. :) Whats the exact opposite of fan-boy? :p That's what I am when it comes to Apple in general. Far too much control on their end for my liking.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Hater....haters gonna hate
Yes, I've tried foobar 2000, as well as J. River Media Center. Thanks for your comments. You're a neat guy, I think you know which hog ate the cabbage.:D
Yep, haters gonna hate when it comes to any big dog in a marketplace. Just about any market leading product will have a constant supply of detractors. That's why we have choices: lots of choices.

I need to support @sterling shoote for sticking his neck out saying something negative about iTunes. I've run it for a long time and had plenty of experiences that make me want to smash something. After having tried the popular anti-dotes however, Foobar and J River, I put my own problems in perspective and continue to enjoy iTunes for what it is.

S

sterling shoote

So how do you know which hog ate the cabbage?
The story is about knowledge and wisdom both being necessary for an understanding of the truth.
Knowing which hog ate the cabbage, means knowing that since ALL hogs eat cabbage, they all have the same nature. So, when someone says, "I think you know which hog ate the cabbage", he is saying you have the knowledge and wisdom to know what is true.

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Curious. What control, and to whom would you have it given?

According to Forbes, https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckjones/2018/03/02/apple-continues-to-dominate-the-smartphone-profit-pool/#49f736ba61bb , Apple has about 20% of the smartphone market. Yet that 20% yields them almost 90% of the profits.

But I'm sure your business model would work too.
I believe he is referring to the closed Apple ecosystem, the less than ideal files supported by iTunes, and the inevitable forced iTunes updates (whether you want it or not).

Been there, done that, wised up and moved to Android and Foobar

S

sterling shoote

Update, upon opening iTunes on my other laptop today I was presented with a window for updating iTunes, as was the case just the other day on my other laptop, which lead to the problem with Airplay not functioning. I thought for a moment do I do this? At any rate, I did proceed with the download and seems it came out O.K.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Curious. What control, and to whom would you have it given?

According to Forbes, https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckjones/2018/03/02/apple-continues-to-dominate-the-smartphone-profit-pool/#49f736ba61bb , Apple has about 20% of the smartphone market. Yet that 20% yields them almost 90% of the profits.

But I'm sure your business model would work too.
I'm talking about itunes control over one's media. Its also the worst interface I've ever seen or had the displeasure of using.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis