Still undecided about PS3 or X-box 360 Elite????

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
How long are you guys going to argue with him? He's not going to listen to logic.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Uh hellooo?!? Gran Turismo 5!

Once I have an LCD I'll be buying a PS3. That knocks out a high def player and gaming rig all in one!

SheepStar

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
How long are you guys going to argue with him? He's not going to listen to logic.
Just having a little fun with him. People who are easy to stir up can be entertaining. I don't really care if he likes the PS3 or 360, we were just trying to provide the OP with some info.

Last edited:
A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
Wow...this thread turned into fanboy-central fast.

Having both an Elite and PS3, both have their advantages and disadvantages.

For the PS3 - I'd pick one up before the 80GB. Software emulation is *never* as good as hardware. Games that use the "standard" dev libraries will be ok, but those games where the developers dove into the hardware to squeeze performance out won't run well or at all for a long time. PS3's run *much* quieter than the Elite. The blu-ray playback is beautiful, as good or better than the standalone blu-ray players on the market. And it's better than the HD-DVD player for the 360. It has wireless networking built in, and an internet browser. The downside is there are no AAA games out. Most of the good games out for the PS3 are cross platform, and many of them run better on the 360 (just about all of EA's games). The highest rated PS3 games to this point are a rehash of a 3 year old Xbox game and a one year old port from the 360. The online service is free, but not as well organized as XBL.

The 360 - Very noisy. Backward compatibility isn't 100% with Xbox (see software emulation). No wireless network connection included. No HD-DVD included. It's strength at this point is the game library is far superior to the PS3 and it will remain that way for the near future (at least until fall '08). And it's terribly unreliable.

If it weren't for the software emulation issue, i'd say buy a 360 now and a PS3 next year when they inevitably come down in price. But if you have a bunch of PS2 games, i'd get one now.

Good luck!

B

Bloodstriker

Full Audioholic
Just like abboudc, I have both the PS3 and 360 Elite. I do not blindly support any console or company. I have been gaming since the colecovison and owned every major console since then (include pc gaming back to the DOS era.)

Here's what I think:

The PS3 is a hugely powerful and flexible system. However, as mentioned, the weakpoint is that there are not many games. Most of the best games on this system are on the 360. While Resistance is a decent game, it is nowhere near the level of some of the 360s top titles. There are some big releases coming out in the future though.

The PS3 has been reduced to a media player for me. It's great for BD and the upconversion of DVDs are fantastic. Surfing the web and watching youtube in my HT is very nice as well.

Now the thing with the PS3 is that the concept of "muti-functionality-media" player follows what the PSP was doing. Sony decided to spend lots of time and money to update both consoles via monthly updates (which is awesome, as both machines do much more than I had originally hoped for), but it seems like they aren't putting much effort into helping developers make games for the system. Hard to code on this system + limited dev support = fewer AAA games and poor ports from other systems.

Now, I don't have anything against the PS3. In fact, I use it more than my 360. But I don't play games on the PS3 anymore - until a big release comes out.

Currently, if there's a game released on both consoles, the 360 gets the go-ahead first.

Now, on the other hand, the hardware in the 360 isn't impressive at all. The games are all on DVDs as opposed to any new gen storage media (BD/HDDVD). I have seen slowdown in Halo 3 in certain cutscenes (weird). People complain about the price of the PS3, but if you add all the wireless network adaptor, the HD-DVD Drive, and the Battery Pack for the controllers (yes, it doesn't come with a battery pack. Ridiculous), you'll find the price is pretty equal between the two.

Of course the 360 has a much, much better library than the PS3. It's been out for much longer, and making games for it is similar to making games for the PC. There's tons of dev support for this system. Just take a look at some of the insane graphics that this system is pushing. Gears of War and Bioshock are two awesome examples. I believe that the PS3 is capable of doing better, it's just that nobody knows how yet.

The selling point for the 360 for me is X-Box Live. True, there is a subscription cost ($70ish per a year or something like that), but you pay for what you get. Live is so well organized and so easy to use (If you ever tried online gaming back in the Win 95 era, you'll appreciate this). Microsoft has made it manatory that any game that wants to go on Live must support voice chat. The implementation of this is awesome and is revolutionary.

Live is much more than access to online gaming. It's really a community, or a world wide arcade. Everybody gathers points for achievements in games (on or offline), and it's viewable by everyone. It creates a sense of competitiveness that isn't found in the PS3 networks.

One of my favourite features of Live is that, if I'm playing some Gears of War single player, my brother can view his friends list, see what I'm playing, and send an invite to me to play some Halo 3. I just accept it and pop in the disc, and I'm in the game. No need to wait in a lobby, etc. Just.. simple and easy.

But the main thing the OP will need to ask himself is:
- which games do I want to play and what system(s) are they on?

You can't go wrong with either system, they're both good at what they do best.

B

Bloodstriker

Full Audioholic
If only this was gamefaqs.com with little 10 year olds posting stuff like "ZOMG!LASERS!PEWPEWPEW!"

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
The PS3 doesn't have that many games for a few reasons, at least two that I can think of. First, the time factor. While being released a year later than the 360 limits the amount of games they could have had more by now except they don't largely based on the next factor.

The second factor that limits the amount of games, especially complex or graphical games, is the design parameters of the system. Tailoring software for a system that uses 7 principle processing cores takes time, lots of time. For example. Grand Theft Auto 4 was to be released this month on XBOX 360 and PS3. We saw trailers for the game (trailers where made using the 360) and they looked great. Now, the game isn't going to be out until next year (not sure what the date is set to now) because Rockstar is on contract to release the game on both platforms at the same time, but they can't because they haven't finished writing the software for the game on PS3, while it has been finished on the 360 for some time now.

The EA sports games being superior on the 360 may acount for the difficulty of writing the game or limited exclusive graphics support and ram on the PS3. If givin the same time frame to make a game and the game is to be released on both platforms at the same time, you can bet it will look better on the 360.

Now once the software folks get used to the PS3 and start pressing it's limits I think it should surpass the 360 graphically and the overall gaming experiance has the potential to be more in depth IMO.

majorloser

majorloser

Just Another Reason I Still Have No Life

Ok, I admit it. Each console I've ever bought was just to play one particular game. And I've never bought a console the first year it came out. I wait for some sort of price drop.

For Nintendo it was "Legend of Zelda". For Playstation it was "Metal Gear: Solid". For Xbox it was "Halo". And now for Xbox 360 it was "Halo 3".

Never had any interest in PS 2 and now for PS 3. Maybe if there's some game I MUST play, I'll think about it. But now when you're spending between $500 and $1K for a complete system with all the extras, I just can't justify it to myself.

It becomes just one more thing that keeps me from getting work done and wasting life on my projector lamps :mad:

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Ok, I admit it. Each console I've ever bought was just to play one particular game. And I've never bought a console the first year it came out. I wait for some sort of price drop.

For Nintendo it was "Legend of Zelda". For Playstation it was "Metal Gear: Solid". For Xbox it was "Halo". And now for Xbox 360 it was "Halo 3".

Never had any interest in PS 2 and now for PS 3. Maybe if there's some game I MUST play, I'll think about it. But now when you're spending between $500 and $1K for a complete system with all the extras, I just can't justify it to myself.

It becomes just one more thing that keeps me from getting work done and wasting life on my projector lamps :mad:
Assassin's Creed is coming next month.... Metal Gear Solid 4 next year.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis