Steve Wilson of Porcupine Tree on the Degradation of Audio Quality & the Music Industry

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
As I sit here listening to Porcupine Tree's "Fear of a Blank Planet" on DVD-A, I wonder to myself why this band has not caught on into the USA music mainstream. Wanting to find out a little more about what makes Steve Wilson of Porcupine Tree tick, I went to Youtube and searched out some interviews. I was pleasantly surprised to discover he shares many of the views I have about the constant degradation of audio quality and musical substance happening in the music industry these days. In an age of convenience winning out over quality, more and more people are settling for poorer and poorer audio quality. This is leading to generation of youngsters never being exposed to anything better and accepting highly distorted and compressed music as the norm. We now live in an era of people totally content with the sound quality of XM radio and steaming music via Bluetooth from their iPods to their car or home stereos.

Discuss "Steve Wilson of Porcupine Tree on the Degradation of Audio Quality & the Music Industry" here. Read the article.

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
I took a chance on PT when exploring one of my first MCH purchases back in 2005. I'm older and was a huge prog fan during the 70s. I liked alot of what I heard in their obvious skill, SW's songwriting, arrangement and production capability (though IA was produced by Eliot Sheiner), but was slightly put off by the metal elements and their darker themes. As new releases came out and I saw the band a couple of times, I became immersed, then converted, then addicted. It takes alot to impress me and when I reach for something to listen to, it's usually PT. It's not background music. You really need to sit down and let it take you away, but it's the best stuff I listen to. I've youtubed many of his interviews. SW is a throwback admittedly, but is breaking new ground constantly. Everything publicly he's said about the music business and the marketplace in general, I agree with.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I took a chance on PT when exploring one of my first MCH purchases back in 2005. I'm older and was a huge prog fan during the 70s. I liked alot of what I heard in their obvious skill, SW's songwriting, arrangement and production capability (though IA was produced by Eliot Sheiner), but was slightly put off by the metal elements and their darker themes. As new releases came out and I saw the band a couple of times, I became immersed, then converted, then addicted. It takes alot to impress me and when I reach for something to listen to, it's usually PT. It's not background music. You really need to sit down and let it take you away, but it's the best stuff I listen to. I've youtubed many of his interviews. SW is a throwback admittedly, but is breaking new ground constantly. Everything publicly he's said about the music business and the marketplace in general, I agree with.
Agreed on all accounts. I am not a huge metal fan either and until Porcupine Tree, the hardest music I would listen to was King Crimson and Yes. There is still nothing like the old Prog Rock from the 70s IMO, but Porcupine Tree does captivate you and immerse you in the story and feel of their music.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I would bet many of those interviews that are on You Tube are from the Insurgentes DVD that I reviewed some time back. I wasn't sure what to expect with it, but I completely agree with what he says. That disc is one to check out for sure.

I learned of them from Ron, but I think I expanded a bit more with them :) I currently own all the albums, DVDs, BD, DVD-As; whatever I could find. That's like 20-25 discs. I enjoy the older stuff as much as the newer stuff, and go back and forth. The older albums have a different character, but the same feeling is there and it is easy to hear the changes over the years building to today's stuff.

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
I would bet many of those interviews that are on You Tube are from the Insurgentes DVD that I reviewed some time back. I wasn't sure what to expect with it, but I completely agree with what he says. That disc is one to check out for sure.

I learned of them from Ron, but I think I expanded a bit more with them :) I currently own all the albums, DVDs, BD, DVD-As; whatever I could find. That's like 20-25 discs. I enjoy the older stuff as much as the newer stuff, and go back and forth. The older albums have a different character, but the same feeling is there and it is easy to hear the changes over the years building to today's stuff.
The Insurgentes interviews are up, but there are quite a few more from 07 and 08 in multi-part form. In the same vein, but interesting.

I've got another grandchild's baptism this weekend, but maybe Sunday I'll give you a call if you're home. I want to borrow and burn some of that stuff you're bragging about :D.

jinjuku

jinjuku

I would say with most audio enthusiasts that they have as much taste in good equipment as they do good artists.

I don't see too many people with a serious and painstakingly put together setup doing it so they can listen to Lady Gaga, or Metallica, Miley Ray, the Bieber etc...

My last Eric Johnson album has liner notes:

Recorded in High Fidelity: Listen to it loud, but not that loud ;)

Trust me, any artist that we as a collective are likely to listen to is going to be careful in the mastering process.

If you're worried about how compressed Lady Gaga is going to sound on your awesome setup... Well something else went very wrong earlier down the line.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Trust me, any artist that we as a collective are likely to listen to is going to be careful in the mastering process.
That's not always true as I've found from the last few Rush CD's as well as some Jazz music. We have several articles on this site discussing hyper compression and the current trends of how the digital media is being abused by cranking the levels to 0dBFS and higher. I believe I linked to them in the article I just posted.

F

farrow099

Audioholic Intern
I completely agree that recording quality (from RIAA member releases anyway) has been degrading for years. However I disagree that it is due to people looking for more convenient access to music. I blame the audio engineers because in most cases I've found that the recordings are just as horrible sounding on CD or DVD-A as they are in mp3 format!

Example:
I'm a fan of a rock band named "COLD". They just released a new album this month titled "Superfiction".

I initially bought the MP3s (amazon music store) and started to listen right away. The band is heavy on both the guitar and the bass guitar, with a sort of creepy grunge sound. Even on my cheapish (EMP) e55ti towers, the audio quality was clearly crap. The recording doesn't do either instrument justice! Both guitars are a blur of sounds, no separation of instruments at all!

Seeking better quality I went ahead and ordered the CD release. To my disappointment the CD sounds nearly the same! Very blurry sound. I really like the melody and lyrics of many of the songs but the quality of the recordings are really disappointing.

I've found this to be the case on MANY albums in recent years. No matter what medium you purchase it on, they sound like crap do to lack luster work on the original (master) recording. There have been MANY other articles published on the push for LOUDER recordings. It makes no sense, nobody wants there stereo or theater to sound like a louder clock radio! Audio engineers around the world should really rethink their strategy!

Just to be clear, my speakers are MultiEQ XT32 calibrated. Powered by the Onkyo tx-nr3008, crossing over to a tc sounds lms-r 15" sub @ 60hz.

I have many new Indy artist releases that were recorded in someone's basement, yet they sound MUCH cleaner!
Down with the RIAA and their horrible audio engineers!!!

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I completely agree that recording quality (from RIAA member releases anyway) has been degrading for years. However I disagree that it is due to people looking for more convenient access to music. I blame the audio engineers because in most cases I've found that the recordings are just as horrible sounding on CD or DVD-A as they are in mp3 format!

Down with the RIAA and their horrible audio engineers!!!
The problem is that, when the mastering is done, they care more that it sounds good through an iPod/MP3 player than through a great audio system and they don't do a separate master for each. The dynamic range has been squeezed to a minimum and if you think about who's to blame, it's likely to be the record companies and producers than the engineers. The engineer(s) don't have final say, they're just there to get the results wanted by the record company or producer.

Personally, I think the record companies should make the master sound great for listening through a better system and let the MP3 crowd fend for themselves but they're just doing what they always have- catering to the mass market.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm not familiar with Porcupine Tree music, I went to youtube (HD) and gave few songs a listen (while being open minded) - My opinion - sorry, not my cup o tea.
I'd stick to my favorite progressive rock band - Led Zeppelin.
However I do agree with Wilson on most points - current US pop culture (and most of TV) is absolutely appalling.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I blame it on CDs. The CD format is awesome in its own rights but it allowed to record higher levels of ludness with this format at the expense of dynamic range, Can't do with that vinyl. :p

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
I blame it on CDs. The CD format is awesome in its own rights but it allowed to record higher levels of ludness with this format at the expense of dynamic range, Can't do with that vinyl. :p
So, it's the gun's fault and not the shooter.:eek::D Sorry, just had to say it!:p

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
I'd like to get into PT but what I have heard online didn't move me to make a purchase. I love Rush & Dream Theater & I Like Yes very much so I'd think they would be a good fit for me. I have to revisit this. I need some thing new to listen to. Hmmm, Which one to buy...

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I haven't really listened to all that many PT albums but In Absentia is my favorite so far...so I recommend that one.

T

theman4455

Enthusiast
In Absentia, at least as a CD, is mastered loud. If there is a DVD-A, that is the way to go. (Not as bad as Deadwing, but I prefer Stupid Dream, which I recommend.)

As for CD's being able to be mastered louder, such has not been the case, especially in the era of digital mastering. Incesticide, the Nirvana compilation, was digitally mastered, and sounded just the same on vinyl. Same for Memory Almost Full by Paul McCartney when it came out. Many artists, including Steven Wilson, and if anyone wants another example, the CDs by Big Black/Shellac/Rapeman (mastered by Albini) and Loveless, are quieter than most other CDs, but their sound has a force about it that makes it louder.

I must also add, Led Zeppelin isn't quite considered prog rock, but I can see an argument for their later years.

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
To introduce someone to PT, I'd recommend picking up the BR concert Anesthetize. It includes all of Fear of a Blank Planet material and a large smattering of their back catalog. Then go exploring from there. Watching how gifted they are will reinforce the music.

From Stupid Dream to the Incident, over 10 years of music, you'll find gems and probably go through periods thinking you like one album better than an other. However, while each disk evolves the PT sound, I think you'll find they haven't regressed or stagnated, just got better. The only DVD A that I seldom listen to is Lightbulb Sun. A superb recording, but the song writing hadn't reached their stride.

jinjuku

jinjuku

I have an EMI Classics CD of Holst Planets and that thing I swear has to have 15dB of range on it:eek:

It's simply a stunning recording. Almost knock you out of your seat sometimes.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
I'd like to get into PT but what I have heard online didn't move me to make a purchase. I love Rush & Dream Theater & I Like Yes very much so I'd think they would be a good fit for me. I have to revisit this. I need some thing new to listen to. Hmmm, Which one to buy...
I think of PT as a modern day Pink Floyd.
I'm on my way out the door; but later I'll send you a few songs you may like. IMHO I didn't like their latest CD as much as their earlier stuff.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Come on, tell me a Led Zepplin fan wouldn't like this:

Led Zepplin fan here too. If I would recommend an album to get started with from them, it would be that one - In Absentia. They were heavily influenced by Floyd, and the earlier stuff shows that a lot more, but the new stuff is unlike anything else and that's why I continue to enjoy their stuff. It always changes and IMO is still getting better.

Last edited by a moderator:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis