Hi folks,

I have the following system:
- Marantz SR8015
- Front speakers: Focal Aria 948
- Central speaker: Focal Aria CC900
- Side speakers: Focal Aria 906
- Front surround: Klipsch RP-500SA
- Sub: 2x Bowers&Wilkins DB4S

Currently, the subs RCA input get the signal from the sub RCA on the Marantz, there are two of them.
By the way, I am very happy with the current setup for both music an movies.
In this configuration however, they are basically getting the very same signal (LFE+main), so for the music case, there cannot be any stereo separation on the very low frequencies.
I tried to source into the amplifier a 25Hz tone only on the left and only on the right channel and, in both cases, both sub are playing the same signal.

In your experience, is there a clean way, with the Marantz, to send into the sub XLR input a replica of the front left and right signal to leverage them as an extension of the Aria 948 for the very low frequencies? I would be just curious to hear the results.

The ideas I currenly have for doing this are:
1. Use Zone 2 to play a replica of the same source of Main Zone, but I guess in this case Audissey calibration cannot be done, so synchronization would not be reliable
2. Use Front B speakers, but I would need an additional component to obtain the line out level signal from a power signal, which I don't know if exists.

Thank you in advance.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
AVRs don't support "stereo" subs unless you use high-level inputs on your subs in line with your speakers (i.e. not using sub pre-outs on avr). Otherwise the sub signals will be mono. Not much to be had by "stereo" subs in any case plus that would limit sub placement to that of left and right speakers.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi folks,

I have the following system:
- Marantz SR8015
- Front speakers: Focal Aria 948
- Central speaker: Focal Aria CC900
- Side speakers: Focal Aria 906
- Front surround: Klipsch RP-500SA
- Sub: 2x Bowers&Wilkins DB4S

Currently, the subs RCA input get the signal from the sub RCA on the Marantz, there are two of them.
By the way, I am very happy with the current setup for both music an movies.
In this configuration however, they are basically getting the very same signal (LFE+main), so for the music case, there cannot be any stereo separation on the very low frequencies.
I tried to source into the amplifier a 25Hz tone only on the left and only on the right channel and, in both cases, both sub are playing the same signal.

In your experience, is there a clean way, with the Marantz, to send into the sub XLR input a replica of the front left and right signal to leverage them as an extension of the Aria 948 for the very low frequencies? I would be just curious to hear the results.

The ideas I currenly have for doing this are:
1. Use Zone 2 to play a replica of the same source of Main Zone, but I guess in this case Audissey calibration cannot be done, so synchronization would not be reliable
2. Use Front B speakers, but I would need an additional component to obtain the line out level signal from a power signal, which I don't know if exists.

Thank you in advance.
You don't want stereo subs. That creates problems by exacerbating room modes. Sound is non directional at sub frequencies and stereo subs have no upsides, only downsides. So your subs will work just fine with your arias.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You get the same signal on both subs because that is how they are supposed to be and your AVR is functioning correctly. LFE is independent of speaker location and bass, as mentioned by TLS, is also non-directional because low bass frequency wavelengths are longer than the typical room where those subs reside.

S

sr8015_user

Audiophyte
Ok, I understand your point. Thank you everyone for the very clear answers.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis