Stereo setup - Towers within 1500$

S

Sylar

Full Audioholic
What are good choices for towers available in the US within 1500$?

Any good deals going on now?
This is for my cousin who would like to set up a stereo system.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I liked the Klipsch RP-8000F in this price range. You can get a pair of Revel Concerto2 F35 in this range, and those would be very good. Also the KEF Q750. PSB and Monitor Audio have tower speakers in this price range.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If you want to do something really badass for your cousin, instead of getting a regular tower, buy some subs and use them as speaker stands for some good stand mount speakers. That basically turns them into really beefy tower speakers. Here is what I would do for around that budget: get two Hsu VTF-2 mk5s and a pair of Kali LP-8s. That will come up to about $1600. The cons of a system like that is it would have a bigger footprint than normal tower speakers. It also wouldn't be all that pretty. The pro is that it would have far more dynamic range than any tower that you could buy in that price class, as well as much better bass extension. It would also have a superior on and off-axis response to most tower speakers, so it could be a lot more accurate. Those speakers and subs are self-amplified as well, so you don't need to supply an amplifier. That system would absolutely rock, and no similarly priced tower speaker would be able to touch it.

S

Sylar

Full Audioholic
If you want to do something really badass for your cousin, instead of getting a regular tower, buy some subs and use them as speaker stands for some good stand mount speakers. That basically turns them into really beefy tower speakers. Here is what I would do for around that budget: get two Hsu VTF-2 mk5s and a pair of Kali LP-8s. That will come up to about $1600. The cons of a system like that is it would have a bigger footprint than normal tower speakers. It also wouldn't be all that pretty. The pro is that it would have far more dynamic range than any tower that you could buy in that price class, as well as much better bass extension. It would also have a superior on and off-axis response to most tower speakers, so it could be a lot more accurate. Those speakers and subs are self-amplified as well, so you don't need to supply an amplifier. That system would absolutely rock, and no similarly priced tower speaker would be able to touch it.
Very enticing. But he is looking for towers only.

I'm trying to imagine 2 sets of 2 15inch stacked subs with a bookshelf on top.

Or two of these :D
[/QUOTE]

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Very enticing. But he is looking for towers only.

I'm trying to imagine 2 sets of 2 15inch stacked subs with a bookshelf on top.

Or two of these :D
[/QUOTE]
That particular sub might not be ideal for that application since the height would be too tall of a stand for bookshelf speakers for most seating positions. A high-powered sub with a better height would be the JTR Captivator 2400 or the Deep Sea Sound Mariana 24.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis