Stereo Receiver vs A/V receiver ??

J

jeepers59

Audioholic Intern
Other than the additional jacks on the back of an AV receiver are there differences? ex. I listen to the radio a lot and my music collection which is mostly CDs and USB. Even though A/V R have radio tuners and jacks for CDs . . . , does the stereo receiver do a better job at playing music compared to A/V receivers? Are there other differences? thanks

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
This is another one of those topics where people are going to disagree one way or the other. Some say they sound the same ( stereo receiver vs AVR ) and some say no.

J

jeepers59

Audioholic Intern
This is another one of those topics where people are going to disagree one way or the other. Some say they sound the same ( stereo receiver vs AVR ) and some say no.
ok. thanks. there seems like there should be some differences. I just started my research and it seems like the prices between the 2 receiver types are close and there is a lot more to the A/V.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The differences are in the feature set and number of amp channels. An AVR can work in stereo mode just as well as a stereo receiver. A lot of the stereo only receivers out there are overpriced (imo) and usually lack bass management. You can do a lot more with an AVR (with preouts) with options to expand down the road if you want more channels or additional amplification. I just don't see a good reason to get a stereo receiver unless you find one on the cheap.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
They sell a lot more of the avrs and that is reflected in the pricing....economies of scale. If decent units shouldn't be any particular sound quality differences.

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
ok. thanks. there seems like there should be some differences. I just started my research and it seems like the prices between the 2 receiver types are close and there is a lot more to the A/V.
Shoot out a few emails to those companies (Sony, Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo etc) and ask them. You might be surprised at their response.

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
Why, what are they likely to say?
Well I can't say exactly what they will say. But I do know what Onkyo said a few years back when asked the same question. In a nutshell, they had said with AVR's the main focus was getting as many features into a unit that a consumer could afford. While their 2 channel receivers were focused more on audio quality.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well I can't say exactly what they will say. But I do know what Onkyo said a few years back when asked the same question. In a nutshell, they had said with AVR's the main focus was getting as many features into a unit that a consumer could afford. While their 2 channel receivers were focused more on audio quality.
Just how did they do that? Was it engineering or marketing saying that? :)

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
Well it was at one of the cedia events. Couldn't tell you if it was a marketing guy or engineer.
But it would be interesting to see what they all would have to say. Maybe the OP will reach out and we will get to hear some interesting feedback. Would be nice to hear what the engineers say vs marketing though.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well it was at one of the cedia events. Couldn't tell you if it was a marketing guy or engineer.
But it would be interesting to see what they all would have to say. Maybe the OP will reach out and we will get to hear some interesting feedback. Would be nice to hear what the engineers say vs marketing though.
Probably would just get whatever spiel they write out for the customer service folk....

HTfreak2004

HTfreak2004

Senior Audioholic
Next the manufacturer will swear if you hook the receiver or AVR to the wall with a $1k power wire you’ll get improved bass and greater channel separation with a lower noise floor and more headroom :eek:

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Next the manufacturer will swear if you hook the receiver or AVR to the wall with a $1k power wire you’ll get improved bass and greater channel separation with a lower noise floor and more headroom :eek:
Well they already encourage the idiotic bi-amping thing....further wire nonsense is not far behind.

HTfreak2004

HTfreak2004

Senior Audioholic
Well they already encourage the idiotic bi-amping thing....further wire nonsense is not far behind.
You know pretty soon the manufacturer will bridge the internal amps so the AVR will provide us with 1 ohm stable operation, 1 ch driven and 700 watts peak output at 1 kHz soft clipping at 10000 feet above sea level and constant room temperature of 65 degrees no more or less since over heat and sonic degradation would occur causing triple distortion immediately and blowing everything up at once voiding the manufacturer warranty and any paid for extended warranty :eek:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis