stereo amps - power output(amp) vs. power handling(speakers)

Guiria

Guiria

Senior Audioholic
I've just moved into a bigger house and want to outfit my main living room with a pair of bookshelf speakers, amp, and cd player. I want to keep it simple and relatively inexpensive. I know Onix makes some decent stereo amps at reasonable prices.

First question:

Are there any other electronic manufacturers that compete in the same price/quality as AV123 stuff?

Another question:

How important are the power output ratings on amps vs. power ratings for speakers?

If I went for the Onix A-120MKII would that be too much for a pair of M3Ti's from Axiom or the X-LS from AV123?

Neither speaker lists a continuous power handling rating so I'm not sure if the A-120MKII is overkill for a set of bookshelves. The living area has atleast a 20 ft. vaulted ceiling and is pretty wide open into the dining/kitchen area. I don't want the system to sound anemic (even though the primary listening position will be within 10-15 ft. of the system).

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

T

tbewick

Senior Audioholic
On your second question, the power rating for the speaker is somewhat arbitrary, but technically is a function of the speaker voice coil thermal capacity. As long as you are sensible with the volume level, then you shouldn't have any problems. If the sound becomes harsh or grainy, then you could be listening at too high a volume. Most of the time with smaller speakers, it is their lack of bass capability and extension at higher volumes that makes them sound harsh.

At the distance you've specified, you should roughly expect to get up to ~85 dB, which is reasonably loud. This is based on a speaker sensitivity around 90 dB at 1 metre and around 10 - 15 dB in reduction in volume based on your sitting distance.

It is more likely you'd damage your speakers with a less capable amplifier. It's also more likely if you listen to a particularly dynamic recording or have forgotten to level your tone controls. Most consumer systems are designed with the idea that music will have a fairly limited dynamic range, typically around 6 -12 dB.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You are only using a few watts during average level listening. It is very rare that you will be using the full potential of power deliver from your receiver/amp unless, as tbewick put it, you are listening at too high a volume.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis