Stay with Onkyo TX-SV828THX or upgrade?

A

Audiowanttobe

Enthusiast
If I upgrade it would be to the Denon 3600. Really don't need Dolby atmos. If I add a multichannel Blue ray DVD player to the Onkyo system it would upgrade the digital formats? The speakers are Definitive Technology fronts BP 2002TL, center 2300 and rears BP-2. I do have the ED-301 Digital Processor . Need recommendations on the Blue Ray player if thats an option. What am I giving up by upgrading the Onkyo beside dolby atmos and streaming capabilities releative to the denon. Sound difference? Genes comments on Onkyo started me on thing it might be enough receiver.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Sound difference?
What Sound Difference?

If your speakers are within limitations of the receivers specs and your receiver is capable of producing clean undistorted power what sound difference

A

Audiowanttobe

Enthusiast
Would there be a big drop-off in sound difference between the two receivers?

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I only know one guy that might be able to hear the difference
Super-hearing-in-Super-Friends.jpg

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Anyway to Denon 3600 is a way more capable unit its amp section is stable to 4 Ohms it's connectivity its features and functions and everything about it is better than the Onkyo so if you looking to up grade for those reasons yes if you're looking to upgrade because you think it might sound better no. Now because the amp section is better than the Onkyo you can play your speakers louder without any distortion so that might make it sound better but under normal listening levels in the same room they will sound the same

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That's a very old receiver/processor and formats have gone forward since. I think its safe to say you're due an upgrade. Bluray players generally need an hdmi connection to take advantage of both audio and video capabilities in any case. Sony and Panasonic would be the brands I'd consider for a player, particularly Sony if you have SACDs to play.

A

Audiowanttobe

Enthusiast
Anyway to Denon 3600 is a way more capable unit its amp section is stable to 4 Ohms it's connectivity its features and functions and everything about it is better than the Onkyo so if you looking to up grade for those reasons yes if you're looking to upgrade because you think it might sound better no. Now because the amp section is better than the Onkyo you can play your speakers louder without any distortion so that might make it sound better but under normal listening levels in the same room they will sound the same
Thanks that helps

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis