M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
I figured a thread on what we are all doing to survive being at home for weeks on end. Not going to suggest we are staying sane, because let's be real. But what are you doing to keep busy, kill time, etc.

I had the double whammy of tearing my left bicep so I'm limited in what I can do with my left arm. I did get surgery as quick as I could (tore on a Thursday, surgery on a Monday) because I expected elective surgeries to be cancelled. Have to get checked for symptoms before I can even enter the building for physical therapy.

Here is my list:
- Inventoried and organized my ammunition (lots of "I didn't know I had that")
- Introduce different bands and music to my kids via YouTube
- Bake bread...seriously. I have a great recipe from America's Test kitchen. Not difficult at all. Plus they have made more recipes available online.
- Troll my kids with the theme from the movie Titanic
- Record the cat snoring
- Contemplate the best guitar riffs in rock music
- Copied a hockey fight move and pulled a blanket over the cat and attacked
- Watch YouTube recordings of 60's and 70's bands to appreciate how much a good portion of that music has held up.
- Binge watch TV shows like "Top Shot", "Magnum PI (Tom Selleck version)", "Burn Notice", etc.
- Avoid when my wife binge watches "Murder She Wrote"
- Clean the front flower bed out (yes, I did that. Was sunny and in the upper 50's and I needed to get outside)
- Tried to make strawberry frosting. Failed. Still had cupcakes so made chocolate frosting that was awesome.
- Shredded a bunch of old documents, more to go, but my mind wanders and I find myself wanting to out other things in the shredder to see what would happen.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It really hasn't changed my activities all that much, particularly this time of year. Being retired probably helps as does being out in the boonies somewhat, just different than when I lived in a big city. Am watching a bit more video and listening to a bit more music since I can't go to the pub....

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Top shot was awesome.

Nothing much has changed for me. I work from home and my wife doesn't work.

Only real difference is the 6yo isn't going to kindergarten and neither of my girls are going to dance class.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
I've been running more and working out with dumbells. My goal is to have the heart and lungs of an elephant with the body mass of a gnat to increase the odds of surviving the virus.

My existing dumbbell set only goes to 50 lbs so the workouts are limited. I ordered a heavier set (55-100lbs) but it has not been delivered yet. I had some difficulty finding a website that had them in stock. Home fitness gear is apparently selling like hotcakes right now.

I built a couple wood duck nesting boxes. Unfortunately I can't get to my cottage right now to put them up. No biggie. I'm glad I have a roof over my head and food on the plate.

This will destroy any remaining manliness credits, but I have also started growing broccoli sprouts, bean sprouts and microgreens. This is primarily because I buy groceries as infrequently as possible, which makes it difficult to keep fresh veggies in the house.

My son glares at me if I dare to suggest doing something with the big TV other than xBox, which has crimped my ambitions for marathon TV watching. At some point I may get desperate and binge watch on the smaller set. One goal is to watch Breaking Bad from start to finish. I only watched a couple episodes while it was on, but I intentionally stopped so I could watch all of them from start to finish (if that makes any sense). Unfortunately I do not seem to have the self-discipline I used to when it comes to binge watching TV.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
I'm also thinking about ordering lumber and putting a new deck on the house. I'm not exactly a skilled carpenter but it would probably make sense to do it myself if I have enough time on my hands (I'm working at home right now, but it's quite possible that the work will dry up if the lock down here continues much longer).

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
I'm also thinking about ordering lumber and putting a new deck on the house. I'm not exactly a skilled carpenter but it would probably make sense to do it myself if I have enough time on my hands (I'm working at home right now, but it's quite possible that the work will dry up if the lock down here continues much longer).
Not a bad idea, really. Makes for a longer lunch break, but get you moving for a bit. Once my arm heals more and I am beyond the 5 lb weight limit, I'll be doing more projects.

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
This will destroy any remaining manliness credits, but I have also started growing broccoli sprouts, bean sprouts and microgreens. This is primarily because I buy groceries as infrequently as possible, which makes it difficult to keep fresh veggies in the house.
Fresh greens are great to have. You can only subsist on frozen or canned veggies so long. I've been adding salad fixings when I make the one food run when we run out of the stuff you just can't stockpile. Those fresh greens are nice. Go great on sandwiches too with dijon mustard or some mayo... and pickles. Damn kids ate all our freaking pickles.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
It really hasn't changed my activities all that much, particularly this time of year. Being retired probably helps as does being out in the boonies somewhat, just different than when I lived in a big city. Am watching a bit more video and listening to a bit more music since I can't go to the pub....
My job is critical infrastructure, so still go into work. We have now generated strict shifts to try to avoid any cross contamination in the event that an employee were to get COVID, so I do work from home some days too.

I'm kind of similar to you, except for the retired part.

We already moved out of the city over a year ago, I'm already pretty much a hermit, and I have always been very good about washing my hands and trying to practice social distancing, so mostly business as usual for me personally. It is good to see the general population actually following the hand washing and social distancing practices that SHOULD have been done all their life.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
My job is critical infrastructure, so still go into work. We have now generated strict shifts to try to avoid any cross contamination in the event that an employee were to get COVID, so I do work from home some days too.

I'm kind of similar to you, except for the retired part.

We already moved out of the city over a year ago, I'm already pretty much a hermit, and I have always been very good about washing my hands and trying to practice social distancing, so mostly business as usual for me personally. It is good to see the general population actually following the hand washing and social distancing practices that SHOULD have been done all their life.
Yeah social distancing is fairly easy around here....we're surrounded by forest and only about 5000 people in town/surrounding area that isn't forest and the next closest town is 25 miles away....and in all other directions much farther than that.

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I do plan to build more stuff, but haven't been able to get outside due to the rain.

It seems to have stopped, but now it's hot. Granted, heat is supposed to be the enemy of this virus so hopefully that will help.

Not looking forward to power washing everything and staining my fence, kid's playground, and the new patio furniture I built.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I've had to curtail my one passion, competitive shotgun shooting (sporting clays), but living rural has allowed me to bike daily with little vehicular traffic to worry about

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Got a mic and familiar with REW? In my world I can get wrapped up in tweaking things endlessly, whether it's moving stuff around or trying out a different curve.

Rearrange your living room and recalibrate everything! I did that just this past Sunday. It's a time killer and for me it was pretty gratifying. I made some audible improvements.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I've had to curtail my one passion, competitive shotgun shooting (sporting clays), but living rural has allowed me to bike daily with little vehicular traffic to worry about
Where I grew up I could shoot in the back yard. Might not be as competitive but it'll keep ya sharp!

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Where I grew up I could shoot in the back yard. Might not be as competitive but it'll keep ya sharp!
I hear ya ! Unfortunately my area is not as rural as it used to be. In my youth we warmed up for bird season with a hand thrower and a box clays.

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
Love sporting clays too. My favorite course is about 1.5 mile walk altogether. My favorite way to get some exercise. But it's closed. And my arm won't let me shoot yet.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Love sporting clays too. My favorite course is about 1.5 mile walk altogether. My favorite way to get some exercise. But it's closed. And my arm won't let me shoot yet.
Last month I did manage to shoot a couple times while I was in Florida, club outside Sarasota

three different 100 bird courses. Both the clubs I belong to here in SE Pa are closed until further notice, fingers crossed for May !!

what's wrong with your arm ?

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Hope to get the lawn aerated / over seeded next week ........

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis