Black Sails
American Gods
Outlander
Spartacus
Da Vinci's Demons
Camelot
The White Princess
The White Queen

I have not seen Magic City, but may check it out.

Other upcoming Starz series:
1. Ascendant (Divergent movie series going to TV)
2. The Rook (author of the Twilight movie franchise :D)
3. Counterpart (Spy series)
4. Howard's End
5. Sweetbitter

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I love these TV series/miniseries from Starz:

Black Sails
American Gods
Outlander
Spartacus
Da Vinci's Demons
Camelot
The White Princess
The White Queen

I have not seen Magic City, but may check it out.

And I am also looking forward to the upcoming "Howard's End" miniseries. :D
American Gods - Awesome!
I THINK that Black Sail and Da Vinci's Demons are below average in quality,especially past first season.
Haven't seen rest, except I heard Outlander is mostly chick thing

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
American Gods - Awesome!
I THINK that Black Sail and Da Vinci's Demons are below average in quality,especially past first season.
Haven't seen rest, except I heard Outlander is mostly chick thing
Outlander is quite adventurous. Now the first few episodes of S03 may seem like a chick-thing. :D

"Howard's End" will probably be mostly chick thing, but I don't care as long as it is entertaining. :D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
We are switching directly to it online maybe Monday for Outlander instead of Xfinity. cheaper for one.

Easier to start and stop most likely.
It does follow the book well but even 13-15 episodes is not enough for a thousand page book.
Covers a number of genres. The time jumping is what hooked me but 8 thousand pages was a lot. :)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

... except I heard Outlander is mostly chick thing
Oh, not at all. It has time jumping, action, adventure, history, nudity, wonderful costumes especially the segment in Paris, etc.
You should try it.

Signed on for the free trial today, very easy, will continue season 3 tonight.
Am a selective reader especially when it comes to 1000 page books but this series grabbed me. So far 8 books, waiting for no 9.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think Outlander will appeal to both chicks and guys. There are plenty of guts/gore/explosions/war/killing, but also plenty of drama/love story. And like all great stories, it has awesome character development.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I finished all four seasons of STARZ's "Black Sails". There are a few things I would have done differently if I were a pirate, but then again, I'm not a pirate back in the 1700s. :D

After watching all 4 seasons, I think "Black Sails" makes the "Pirates of the Caribbean" movies look like Bugs Bunny cartoons.

In terms of SQ and PQ, there is a good reason "Black Sails" has won TV awards for best sound effects and visual effects. The 1080p BD looks awesome and sounds awesome in DTS 5.1. This is a high budget production series.

The character development here is top notch, especially of Long John Silver, Captain Flint, and Jack Rackham. I also love the female characters of Anne Bonny and Max.

Long John Silver (left) and Captain Flint (right)

Jack Rachham, Anne Bonny, Max

Blackbeard & Charles Vane

When I first watched the 1st episode, I wasn't totally hooked because I didn't know enough of the background. I should have looked up the pirate characters of Long John Silver, Captain Flint, Blackbeard, Jack Rackham, Anne Bonny, Billy Bones, Charles Vane, and Israel Hands.

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
as I've mentioned, Quit Black Sails right about after 2 seasons - way too much of soap opera for me. I agree that Black sails is at least tries to bring a modicum of real into historical events concerning pirates compared to Disney movies, but 99% fantasy and soap opera aspects turned me off. I honestly couldn't care ADTG likes it. You couldn't force me to watch another episode of this BS (rim-shot)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

I think Outlander will appeal to both chicks and guys. There are plenty of guts/gore/explosions/war/killing, but also plenty of drama/love story. And like all great stories, it has awesome character development.
And, forgot, it has genealogy. That is why Frank and Claire went up North to that village so Frank can research. All his fault she time jumped. ;):D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
And, forgot, it has genealogy. That is why Frank and Claire went up North to that village so Frank can research. All his fault she time jumped. ;):D
Yeah, genealogy is significant in Outlander.

Awesome show.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
We finished the 2 seasons of "Magic City" from STARZ. I enjoyed it. My wife absolutely loved it. Too bad for us they cancelled the show after 2 seasons.

On season 3 of "Power", which I think is another winner from STARZ.

So far the only original show from STARZ that I could not fully get into is "The Girlfriend Experience". I guess I just cannot get into shows about prostitution. :D

Last edited:
Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
as I've mentioned, Quit Black Sails right about after 2 seasons - way too much of soap opera for me. I agree that Black sails is at least tries to bring a modicum of real into historical events concerning pirates compared to Disney movies, but 99% fantasy and soap opera aspects turned me off. I honestly couldn't care ADTG likes it. You couldn't force me to watch another episode of this BS (rim-shot)
I mostly agree, I enjoyed the first few seasons, but got progressively worse beyond that. I did watch the complete series and the last season was just plain awful in my opinion. That being said, it was still much better than Pirates Movies 2-XX

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So the 3 ongoing Starz shows I love:

American Gods
Outlander
Power

And the 4 new Starz shows I look forward to:

Ascendant
The Rook
Counterpart (Jan 21)
The Continental (John Wick)

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Did not like the final season of Black Sails, but that was far and away the best series they have done to date, interested in the Continental.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I saw the new show "Counterpart" from Starz the other day.

I thought it was excellent. Another excellent series from Starz IMO.:D

It is rated "8.5" on IMDB.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4643084/?ref_=nv_sr_1

So now I have 4 active shows from Starz that I am ardently following:

1. Counterpart (8.5 IMDB)
2. Outlander (8.5 IMDB)
3. American Gods (8.1 IMDB)
4. Power (8.2 IMDB)

I think "American Gods" should be rated higher than "8.1", but there were some explicit sex scenes that might have caused the slightly lower ratings. :D

Going back to some of the other highly rated Starz series (IMDb):

Black Sails = 8.3
Spartacus = 8.6
Da Vinci's Demons = 8.0

Keep them coming, Starz!

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Unfortunately I lost faith in IMDB ratings. I used to trust customized user rating/reviews based on age/gender/location, but recently these been removed.

I do agree on American god - s1 was phenomenal, but I do worry the direction of season 2.
http://www.tvguide.com/news/american-gods-season-2-kristen-chenoweth/

Counterpart pilot has been interesting. A bit reminds of "Brazil". Wonder then the rest of it would come out.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Unfortunately I lost faith in IMDB ratings. I used to trust customized user rating/reviews based on age/gender/location, but recently these been removed.

I do agree on American god - s1 was phenomenal, but I do worry the direction of season 2.
http://www.tvguide.com/news/american-gods-season-2-kristen-chenoweth/

Counterpart pilot has been interesting. A bit reminds of "Brazil". Wonder then the rest of it would come out.
Yeah, unfortunately IMDB rating isn't as reliable as it used to be. Instead, I rely more on the actual user reviews on IMDB.

Like how "The Last Jedi" has relatively high rating (7.5 and falling), yet the user reviews say the opposite. :D

But I think over time, the IMDB ratings become more accurate. Like how The Last Jedi rating is getting lower and lower like it should. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis