Starving Student Headphone/Preamp

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Another simple project from diyaudio.com.

I have this playing through a pair of Grado SR225e headphones and it sounds fantastic. It has two selectable modes by switching jumpers. "Choice of resistor or CCS plate loading for preferentially lower distortion or softer clipping."

About the blue LEDs: "using a blue LED to bias CCS and light the tubes ." If they become annoying, I will black them out. Meanwhile, I will try it their way.

Now I need to fashion a box for this too. Fun stuff!

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
And it functions as should. Currently using the resistor option and there is definitely plenty of gain for the Icepower module kit amp I assembled right beside it. A good, hybrid arrangement of sorts. One of the things I like about Class D amplification with it's ability to take on multiple roles, without being the weak link in the chain. It actually sounds marvelous. Ended up playing two entire CDs through it.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Working up a chassis for this little jewel as well. Setting it up for welding, originally. Last night I didn't feel like doing anymore welding so I will see how I feel about it Monday. It's a tedious affair lining up all of these holes, just so. I covered the front plate with masking tape and fashioned a little 'square' out of wire to plumb up to each component's extremities, then just captured the heights by putting the faceplate next to them and transferred them accordingly with a little tri-square.

Actually worked quite well, first try. The corners are left open for room for tiny weld beads.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Man, I'm not believing this!
It looks like you forgot to de-burr the edges where you cut the holes for the tubes!
Everything else I have seen from you has exhibited exquisite craftsmanship!
Are you ok, man?

Last edited:
M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Ahh, am I correct in understanding this is simply a visual "mock up" and you haven't really assembled it yet?
Yes. It is just sitting up with the raw pieces. The top plate needs to be flattened. The stock is cupped from side-to-side so I need to put it in the press on Mon. It was late Friday after building the other parts and that is where I stopped.

While I am waiting though. :D

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Man, I forgot how much I can enjoy a dark beer!
What cha drinking?

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Man, I forgot how much I can enjoy a dark beer!
What cha drinking?
Was Guinness draught in the rattle cans. Love that stuff and keep it around always.
And that Starving Student HPA really goes well with the Icepower module kit amp.

Mike L. Long

Mike L. Long

Audiophyte
Another simple project from diyaudio.com.

I have this playing through a pair of Grado SR225e headphones and it sounds fantastic. It has two selectable modes by switching jumpers. "Choice of resistor or CCS plate loading for preferentially lower distortion or softer clipping."

About the blue LEDs: "using a blue LED to bias CCS and light the tubes ." If they become annoying, I will black them out. Meanwhile, I will try it their way.

Now I need to fashion a box for this too. Fun stuff!
If you did this yourself as a student, then it’s just wow! When I was a student in Germany, I just walked around and did nothing. Then I found help for German students, used https://assignmentbro.com/de/ for this. I just couldn't turn anything in on time. I see you have quite a lot of time since you collect such things.
Now it doesn't look very good, but when you assemble it completely it will be cool.

Last edited:
M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Now it doesn't look very good, but when you assemble it completely it will be cool.
It's welded now and the welds are sweet but the amp was never meant to be more than just utility prototype style to match my Amp Camp mono-blocks. I didn't want yet another CNC stamped out import chassis, or the over-the-top CNC stuff we see everywhere else. I am really tired of CNC designed and machined everything.

I have not seen any welded chassis with the welds left showing. I do have a wood/metal hybrid chassis for this preamp as well around here somewhere and I have another preamp kit too. Saving it for a rainy day, perhaps.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis