Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
It's been over a month since I packed the trunk of my Mazda 3 with everything I could fit inside and took off from Seattle, WA to Scottsdale, AZ. I was totally sick of my job as a custom installer. I don't want to touch an AV system for a while unless it's my own!

This is the extent of my home theater at the moment:

I'm almost certain that I have a job (will know for sure Monday) so now I can start thinking about getting my own place and rebuilding my home theater. I didn't take anything with me except my Xbox One and I have decided I will sell off everything else I had so I really will be starting from scratch.

For the first time in my life I will be in an apartment. I have never had to worry about bugging the neighbors so I would like to be preemptive. ;)

Here's a what I'm looking at:

Denon AVR-X4000
Aperion Verus Grand Bookshelf (pair)
Aperion Verus Grand Center
Aperion Verus Forte Bookshelf (pair, for surrounds)
SVS PB-2000 (pair)
Auralex SubDude HT (pair)
Speaker stands
Vizio M652i-B2

Does this look like a good start? Any suggestions? Depending on how things go I will probably be buying in stages. I have to furnish the whole place too so I think I'll have to get things like a bed and a chair to sit in before I can worry about the HT. ;)

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Any subwoofer is likely to catch a bit of flac from the neighbors, but otherwise your head seems to be in the right place.

Well, except for why on earth would choose AZ over WA!?

selden

selden

Audioholic
As has already been pointed out, low frequencies are transmitted easily through walls, floors and ceilings. SubDudes really don't help much. This can cause serious problems for neighbors who are trying to sleep or to listen to their own AV systems. As a result, dual subwoofers probably aren't a good idea in an apartment building. You'll need to discuss them with your neighbors. Some people don't mind, others will get you evicted.

The X4000 includes the option "Low Frequency Containment" which is intended to reduce the objectionable low frequencies while providing some psycho-acoustic boost to higher frequencies so the bass still sounds good. It completely eliminates the low frequency burst at the beginning of Edge of Tomorrow, for example. That's good for the neighbors but poor for bassheads.

Another option might be "bass shakers". They vibrate your seating as an alternative to playing audible bass.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I realize there is no magical answer to low frequencies penetrating walls and floors but I figure a properly set up system will let me make the most of it at low volumes. One of the reasons I chose that Denon is because it has Audessey and the LFC option. I'm fine with sacrificing some performance and listening volume to keep the neighbors happy. Two subs is not meant to generate more volume, it will provide more even bass. I won't be in an apartment forever so I hope to eventually be able to use the subs as they're meant to be. :)

If I'm lucky I'll be able to get into the apartment I looked at the other day. It's a brand new building with very solid construction and the unit I would want shares only one wall with a neighbor. There's nothing but garages below, nothing above, and it's on an outside corner. As far as apartments go I think it would be perfect.

I did just realize that the Verus Forte uses a concentric woofer/tweeter design. These are generally quite directional. I'm thinking that will not be the best choice as surround speakers. Should I just go with the di-poles that Aperion sells?

Why Arizona? I love warm weather and sun. I'd rather have 9 months of perfect weather and 3 months of dry heat than 3 months of mostly perfect weather in Seattle and 9 months of grey, cloudy, and rainy weather. Cost of living down here in a nice area like Scottsdale is also a lot lower than a comparable area in Washington like Bellevue. A very nice upscale apartment in Scottsdale that goes for around $1,000/month would be $3,000+ in Bellevue.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I did just realize that the Verus Forte uses a concentric woofer/tweeter design. These are generally quite directional. I'm thinking that will not be the best choice as surround speakers. Should I just go with the di-poles that Aperion sells?
I would give the Verus Forte first shot as surround duty.
The off axis response should be nice/good.

Note this from Sound & Vision
"As expected from a concentric design, off-axis response is great, with smooth treble rolloff at 45° and 60° and no off-axis anomalies. There’s solid bass output of 80 dB at 1 meter at 80 Hz, and even some output at 63 Hz, although it’s about 12 dB down at that point."

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
Well it will hopefully be doing window tint. I think I would be good at it and this shop is willing to train me. One can make pretty good money in the trade if you're good at it. We'll see. I talked to the guy that does the training today and it went very well. Hopefully I'll have an answer by tomorrow or sometime this week.

Training pay is minimal so I'll be staying with family for a while and an apartment is at least a few months off. I can't even think about getting a home theater put together until I have my own place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Well it will hopefully be doing window tint. I think I would be good at it and this shop is willing to train me. One can make pretty good money in the trade if you're good at it. We'll see. I talked to the guy that does the training today and it went very well. Hopefully I'll have an answer by tomorrow or sometime this week.

Training pay is minimal so I'll be staying with family for a while and an apartment is at least a few months off. I can't even think about getting a home theater put together until I have my own place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Accent By Masters Glass Tinting, by any chance?

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Here's a what I'm looking at:

Denon AVR-X4000
Aperion Verus Grand Bookshelf (pair)
Aperion Verus Grand Center
Aperion Verus Forte Bookshelf (pair, for surrounds)
Having had both the Aperion Verus Grands and Philharmonics, I would suggest the Phils. Maybe the Slims for L/R, and the Philharmonitors for Center & Surrounds. I find the Phils much cleaner than the Aperions.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
My estimate is that totals around $5600.
That sounds like a fair amount of money to drop all at once, especially considering all of the deposits you have to make when moving into a new address.

I think you should figure out what you will buy when as you phase into it.

Personally, I want to have good SQ, so I might opt to pick up a solid but obsolete stereo receiver off Craigslist for $50-$80 and my permanent Mains (or Satellites, depending on budget). I probably would want a TV and see Flatscreens (in the 27" to 40" range) are starting to show up at Goodwill for under $100. The older flatscreens will have RCA outputs (or at least headphone jack) that can connect to old stereo.

Now you have good SQ for music in your house and can phase in the rest of your system. You can later re-purpose the receiver and flatscreen to the bedroom or something. Even if you took them to Goodwill, I'd pay <$180 to be in good SQ for several months-year while waiting for the bucks to get my real system.

The point I am making is you can pick up some temporary gear at the "bottom-feeder" prices to complete your system for very little.

It is obvious that you don't need to get subs until near the end of building your systems. By then you will have experienced apartment life with your neighbors and figured out what will work for your situation.

I might keep my eyes open for a used 10" sealed sub and not get into ported subs until you leave the apartment. Again you could apply the small sub to the bedroom system later.

If you are carrying a big wad of cash from your last location...nevermind! :)

Last edited:
Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
highfigh said:
Accent By Masters Glass Tinting, by any chance?
No, it's a small highly rated shop in Scottsdale that does cars and homes/businesses. I would be working on the cars. Still waiting to hear...

Herbu, I will check into those Philharmonics. Don't know a lot about them.

KEW, those are all good suggestions. Deposits really aren't bad for the places I'm looking at. I already have a TV. I bought a 42" Vizio M series when I moved and that will be my only TV until I can get a bigger one. I will certainly be piecing this system together bit by bit. I wouldn't say I have wads of cash but I plan to be able to get at least the receiver and speakers first. After that I would add the subs and surrounds. I have my Axiom AudioByte speakers that I'm using now and this Vizio actually has an analog audio output that can be either fixed or variable which is rare these days and it works perfect. I just couldn't live with the TV speakers.

Speaking of things I can't live with... This %&!*@ Cox DVR! I'm on my third one in a month and twice now it has failed to record Better Call Saul, the one show I look forward too all week, due to a "Recording Error". That, plus the fact that it holds 20 shows on a good day means I'm about to chuck this thing into the pool. I'll be adding a Tivo Roamio Plus to my list for sure.

Last edited:
Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Having had both the Aperion Verus Grands and Philharmonics, I would suggest the Phils. Maybe the Slims for L/R, and the Philharmonitors for Center & Surrounds. I find the Phils much cleaner than the Aperions.
What's up with the Pioneer speakers being sold there?

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
What's up with the Pioneer speakers being sold there?
Replaced tweeter, crossover and stuffing.
From the Philharmonic Audio website...

"All of the Affordable Accuracy speakers are extensively modified versions of the popular Pioneer Electronics BS-22, C22, and SP-FS52 loudspeakers. Although the Pioneer speakers are excellent buys and will perform very well in many applications, they are not sufficiently neutral or detailed to meet the standards we have set for Philharmonic speakers.

The tweeter is the principal limitation. We have replaced the stock tweeter with an excellent but inexpensive unit from Vifa of Scandinavia. The new seven-element crossover optimizes the response with the new tweeter to achieve the same level of neutrality and smoothness that characterizes our more expensive offerings. The Affordable Accuracy speakers also feature additional sound absorbent material to minimize any coloration from internal reflections."

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
So, I had this idea. The Pioneer Andrew Jones 5.0 system goes for $429 on Amazon. Yes they are plain, not so nice looking speakers but for the price I don't think I could do much better and since I certainly won't be pushing my speakers very hard in an apartment I think they will be just fine and save me about $1,300. Good plan? I would get at least one PB-2000 to go with them and still be way under my original budget.

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
So, I had this idea. The Pioneer Andrew Jones 5.0 system goes for $429 on Amazon. Yes they are plain, not so nice looking speakers but for the price I don't think I could do much better and since I certainly won't be pushing my speakers very hard in an apartment I think they will be just fine and save me about $1,300. Good plan? I would get at least one PB-2000 to go with them and still be way under my original budget.
Arizona! Land of the man named Adam. Congratulations on the move and good luck.

SVS is clearing out the SB12 NSD $469.00 (new stock). In an apartment it should be more than enough. If not, you can get two. :D You know, just to equal out the pressure.

http://www.svsound.com/specials/outlet-specials/SB12-NSD

A little more expensive but I'll parrot what Herbu said about the Affordable Accuracy Speakers. Built by Dennis Murphy should be enough to get anyone to take a look at them.

http://philharmonicaudio.com/aa.html

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
So, I had this idea. The Pioneer Andrew Jones 5.0 system goes for $429 on Amazon.
I would go with the Philharmonic AA speakers - they are a clear step
above the stock Pioneer speakers - The AA speakers will have better
detail, definition and imaging with more tight controlled bass.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
For about $100 more for the set I would say that is probably worth it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Still waiting to hear about the job... They are taking their sweet time with this.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
Well it is back to square one. Job did not come through. I am more than a little annoyed that they strung me along for 1.5months. :mad:

I am so sick of A/V custom installation but I don't really know what I want to do. That makes it difficult to look for a job.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Sorry to hear that.
Keep at it, something will turn up.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Well it is back to square one. Job did not come through. I am more than a little annoyed that they strung me along for 1.5months. :mad:

I am so sick of A/V custom installation but I don't really know what I want to do. That makes it difficult to look for a job.
If you can do at least basic IT stuff - I might have a contact near you.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis