Star Drek:Discovery

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
OK, I have now seen the entire season (all 15 episodes).

Again, this series is far from greatness. But overall, I like it a lot even with some of the nuisances.

I think episode 15 is kind of anti-climatic and kind of boring until the very last scene, which I think is very exciting to see.

I would say that final scene where the USS Discovery meets the USS ....... (don't want to give anything away) is well worth the wait. :D

I hope we do see more of the USS...... in season 2. :D
God this show is so full of inconsistencies. It's a train wreck but I can't seem to stop watching it. The way they handles the Klingon War just sucked so badly.

Prelude to Axanar would have been far Superior:

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
The Pegasus, right? Riker's first posting?

Anyway, the other Star Trekses took a season or two to fall into a rhythm as well. TNG improved greatly after Tasha Yar got slimed. DS9 started getting good with the Dominion wars. Voyager... well, I stopped watching when I could no longer tolerate Neelix. Enterprise got better after the first season, too.

As far as first seasons go, Discovery's first season was a good one. Now it's time for Discovery to hit its stride. I'll be eager to see whether Vulcan gets black holed in Season 2. (Edit: I guess not, since that's supposedly over 30 years from the time Discovery takes place.) I'd also enjoy a crossover flicker show combining some of the Discovery crew with the Enterprise, although that'd take some creative writing to be plausible after their absence in the Chris Pine Kirk movies. (Edit again: over 30 years. Never mind.)

In the meantime, I don't plan to maintain a CBS All Access subscription, though.
Captain Kirk is 10 years after Discovery, not 30. We could see a cadet kirk but NOT on the Enterprise. Though the only thing the writers of this adhere to canon on is the name so you never know.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I started streaming this series from Kodi having watched the first five episodes. I find it entertaining enough and I think its a far better series so far then the series involving Picard and crew.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
I started streaming this series from Kodi having watched the first five episodes. I find it entertaining enough and I think its a far better series so far then the series involving Picard and crew.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yes we may meet a young Spock who doesn't even know he has a sister LOL
Maybe his dad begged Spock not to reveal any info of his sister. :eek: :D

It’s a slight twist alright.

All fun and games for non-Trekkies because we don’t know any better. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Maybe it’s an Alternate Universe ST. They did already travel to a parallel universe.

:D

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Maybe his dad begged Spock not to reveal any info of his sister. :eek: :D

It’s a slight twist alright.

All fun and games for non-Trekkies because we don’t know any better. :D

Spoiler Alert

Yea and the stupid logic as well. The jihadist Klingons are winning the war. L'Rel wants to wipe out the Federation so what does Burnham do? Give her our only leverage to stop them and assumes she will be a person of good faith (despite being honorless people) and instantly call off the war and the Klingon advances. This isn't just an alternate reality, it's alternate logic caused by bad writing.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Spoiler Alert
Yea and the stupid logic as well. The jihadist Klingons are winning the war. L'Rel wants to wipe out the Federation so what does Burnham do? Give her our only leverage to stop them and assumes she will be a person of good faith (despite being honorless people) and instantly call off the war and the Klingon advances. This isn't just an alternate reality, it's alternate logic caused by bad writing.
SPOILER ALERT

Yeah, I thought that was stupid too. Would Spock do that? :eek:

I was hoping they would blow up the Klingon planet.

When you're on the verge of annihilation by the Klingons, I think you have to blow up the Klingons to kingdom come. :D

The only good thing about the season finale episode 15 was seeing the USS Enterprise ship at the very end.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
SPOILER ALERT

Yeah, I thought that was stupid too. Would Spock do that? :eek:

I was hoping they would blow up the Klingon planet.

When you're on the verge of annihilation by the Klingons, I think you have to blow up the Klingons to kingdom come. :D

The only good thing about the season finale episode 15 was seeing the USS Enterprise ship at the very end.

How about placing some planetary defense systems around Earth? Is Starfleet that inept?

The Enterprise looked really good but it was blatant fan service to try to increase dwindling ratings.

M

Mcolwell

Audiophyte
Hey all. I had the CBS All Access app on my ROKU Ultra, yes, it is in DD 2.0 only , we watch a lot of CBS programming. This is inexcusable in 2018! They experimented a bit with 5.1, I said hey, they finally got it right. Not any more, the picture started buffering, and lowering it's quality until they finally downgraded again to 2.0, and the picture improved again. I found out that CBS All Access is available through Amazon Prime, with not the depth of archived programming, but it is all in 5.1! At first, I was concerned that it was a 2.0 program with a 5.1 stream. Not so, listening a bit, it is in true discreet 5.1, and the picture quality, in 1080p, looks better than from my Xfinity X1. Give it a try.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
(SPOILERS)I finally got around to watching the first season recently, and it was just OK. To be sure I had my expectations pretty low. It had some good moment and that spore drive thing was pretty cool. I don't really care about stuff like rigid consistency with the other series, so I didn't care that they changed the Klingons or if they weren't quite on the same page as something that was mentioned in some other episode of some other Star Trek series. The show looked and sounded great, but I am watching the blu ray set. The characters were a mixed bag. Some of the plot twists were needless and didn't serve the story other than to drive up emotions. The overall pacing was good, but the conclusion was far too pat. I did like the Harry Mudd episode except for how it ended. For all the talk about how 'woke' or politically correct this show was, I didn't really get too much of that or see that as a big priority in the story-telling. The only element I saw of that is the too-perfect gay relationship between Stamets and Dr. Culber, but that was minor.

One thing that the show was missing was a singularly great villain. The Klingons and the Mirror dimension characters didn't really give us any memorable villains. Also the main character didn't act in a manner consistent with her backstory. I never got the feeling in her behavior that she was trained in a Vulcan academy. She acted and spoke too impulsively for that to be major component in her character. In the end, this show was about what I expected: something in the vein of the Chris Pine movies rather than the older series, so lots of action and not much depth or logic. It's a bit disappointing but oh well.

J

JOttman1

Audiophyte
Hey there. I was searching online to see if there were any comments on the sound mixing quality of Discovery. It’s almost impossible to watch in my home theater with incessant bass droning, muffled dialogue and the sort. Do you think this is attributed to low quality streaming?

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Watching season 1 available without a CBS subscription. I know this is set about 10 years before TOS as how much later than Enterprise? So far as of episode 4 its ok but I really don't like the new(old) look Klingons.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
Watching season 1 available without a CBS subscription. I know this is set about 10 years before TOS as how much later than Enterprise? So far as of episode 4 its ok but I really don't like the new(old) look Klingons.
I’m no hardcore Trekkie but I think it’s cannon that there was a change to Klingons, I bet it gets explained eventually.

H

Huey645

Audioholic
For those that are Stargate Atlantis fans, there is guy in episode 3 that you probably really like. I posted on the Facebook fan page last night, and realized it's a minor spoiler, so I won't say who.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
I’m no hardcore Trekkie but I think it’s cannon that there was a change to Klingons, I bet it gets explained eventually.
I sure hope they do they have already changed the Klingon look once. Man that is sure on super fast evolving species. :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis