Star Drek:Discovery

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Yes, they added the 9th when we started. Now season 2 with 6 episodes is coming on the 7th.
Interesting season. But, will it mesh with that alternative timeline where Vulcan is destroyed or
mesh with the original series?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I hate to admit this since there are plenty of Trekies who are displeased with this new ST show, but I am hooked on this show.

It seems very fast-paced with plenty of action and drama.

I don't think it's among the best shows, but I think it's entertaining. :D

Craig Gordon

Craig Gordon

Junior Audioholic
I love the show. The writing is good, and directing is even better. Some of it is attention grabbing for the sake of attention grabbing, but thats ok. The effects and computer models are first rate. The sound is good, but shame on them for not doing it in 5.1. Its only stereo. Kinda lame.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I love the show. The writing is good, and directing is even better. Some of it is attention grabbing for the sake of attention grabbing, but thats ok. The effects and computer models are first rate. The sound is good, but shame on them for not doing it in 5.1. Its only stereo. Kinda lame.
I bet the Blu-Ray version will be in at least 1080p and 5.1 DTS when the season is over. May even be 4K and DTS-HD or ATMOS.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
it's developing to be a decent show, not really much in ST cannon, but decent show anyway.
One character is utterly making me annoyed more than everyone else together and it's Tilly.
Her over the top amateurism really has no place in most advanced and sophisticated research facility on the ship. I get the awkwardness and complete lack of any social skills, but amateurism makes me really irk as it doesn't belong in the show. TNG had Wesley/Wheaton which was somewhat of parallel to her, but his character flaws were so much better fitting due to his young age.

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Tilly? She is a cadet on a voyage. Probably similar to military academy cadets?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Tilly? She is a cadet on a voyage. Probably similar to military academy cadets?
Cadets on warships should be polishing restrooms, not practically appear to oversee spore systems in absence of Stamets.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I hate to admit this since there are plenty of Trekies who are displeased with this new ST show, but I am hooked on this show.

It seems very fast-paced with plenty of action and drama.

I don't think it's among the best shows, but I think it's entertaining. :D
It is entertaining, but sometimes so damn cringy too. They really need someone like me to peer review the storylines before making each episode to avoid some of the stupid stuff they do ;)

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I think the CGI ship battles are absoultely dreadful. They look so computer generated and so hard to tell what's going on. Everything is too dark, you can never make out any ship details at all and the klingon ships, costume and makeup is just horrible. Virtually all Klingon scences ruin the show.

I have 5.1 copies of each episode luckily since I'm not using the shitty CBS app.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
it's developing to be a decent show, not really much in ST cannon, but decent show anyway.
One character is utterly making me annoyed more than everyone else together and it's Tilly.
Her over the top amateurism really has no place in most advanced and sophisticated research facility on the ship. I get the awkwardness and complete lack of any social skills, but amateurism makes me really irk as it doesn't belong in the show. TNG had Wesley/Wheaton which was somewhat of parallel to her, but his character flaws were so much better fitting due to his young age.
Agreed, she is very cringy. Also, not to get political, but I'm really tired of the feminist agenda Hollywood is projecting on most movies/TV shows these days making men look weak and incompetent and women easily outsmarting and overpowering them. What is the point of anyone else on the show when Michael Burnam is so many lightyears ahead of them? Her arrogance drives me insane and she's just NOT a very likable character at all.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I wish either Amazon or Netflix buy few good Sci-Fi shows and revive them. Well, Firefly is out of the question, but I won't mind to see more of Almost Human and Forever. Both canned way too soon

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I wish either Amazon or Netflix buy few good Sci-Fi shows and revive them. Well, Firefly is out of the question, but I won't mind to see more of Almost Human and Forever. Both canned way too soon
I don't think STD will last more than 2 seasons bc of the greedy CBS paywall and how the show pisses off so many Star Trek fans (myself included) for shitting all over canon despite claiming to adhere to it. SciFi is a hard genre to thrive these days sadly.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't think STD will last more than 2 seasons bc of the greedy CBS paywall and how the show pisses off so many Star Trek fans (myself included) for shitting all over canon despite claiming to adhere to it.
"Let make Star Trek great again" :rolleyes:

Seriously though, I agree. Weird, cruel, and unusual distribution on top of crappy A/V would not help it.
I'm not true trekkie, but did grew up watching TNG. STD is absolutely nothing like it.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Far from greatness, but if you can look pass and forgive all that :D, it’s quite entertaining.

The only ST I ever watched was the original one. So I went from the original series to this new series, skipping all other series in between. :D

I have no interest in watching any of the other series either since I am not a Trekkie.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Far from greatness, but if you can look pass and forgive all that :D, it’s quite entertaining.

The only ST I ever watched was the original one. So I went from the original series to this new series, skipping all other series in between. :D

I have no interest in watching any of the other series either since I am not a Trekkie.
And that's the only way one can "appreciate" this show. You must ignore canon that has been clearly established for the last 50 years and just watch it as a decent Sci-Fi show, NOT Star Trek.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
And that's the only way one can "appreciate" this show. You must ignore canon that has been clearly established for the last 50 years and just watch it as a decent Sci-Fi show, NOT Star Trek.
I can see that. :D

That’s the reason I can enjoy it. First, by not being a Trekkie. Second, by forgiving any shortcomings, including annoying characters. :D

I wouldn’t put ST-D near BS-Gallactica or Firefly/Serenity, which were the previous 2 space Sci-Fi I watched.

But I am still hooked on ST-Discovery.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
OK, I have now seen the entire season (all 15 episodes).

Again, this series is far from greatness. But overall, I like it a lot even with some of the nuisances.

I think episode 15 is kind of anti-climatic and kind of boring until the very last scene, which I think is very exciting to see.

I would say that final scene where the USS Discovery meets the USS ....... (don't want to give anything away) is well worth the wait. :D

I hope we do see more of the USS...... in season 2. :D

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
OK, I have now seen the entire season (all 15 episodes).

Again, this series is far from greatness. But overall, I like it a lot even with some of the nuisances.

I think episode 15 is kind of anti-climatic and kind of boring until the very last scene, which I think is very exciting to see.

I would say that final scene where the USS Discovery meets the USS ....... (don't want to give anything away) is well worth the wait. :D

I hope we do see more of the USS...... in season 2. :D
The Pegasus, right? Riker's first posting?

Anyway, the other Star Trekses took a season or two to fall into a rhythm as well. TNG improved greatly after Tasha Yar got slimed. DS9 started getting good with the Dominion wars. Voyager... well, I stopped watching when I could no longer tolerate Neelix. Enterprise got better after the first season, too.

As far as first seasons go, Discovery's first season was a good one. Now it's time for Discovery to hit its stride. I'll be eager to see whether Vulcan gets black holed in Season 2. (Edit: I guess not, since that's supposedly over 30 years from the time Discovery takes place.) I'd also enjoy a crossover flicker show combining some of the Discovery crew with the Enterprise, although that'd take some creative writing to be plausible after their absence in the Chris Pine Kirk movies. (Edit again: over 30 years. Never mind.)

In the meantime, I don't plan to maintain a CBS All Access subscription, though.

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

The Pegasus, right? Riker's first posting?

In the meantime, I don't plan to maintain a CBS All Access subscription, though.
I think he may have been a baby at the ending of season 1, or just a twinkle in someone's eyes. ;) :D
Yes, I also canceled my month long subscription. See what the future brings.
May get stars late Mar for Counterpart season; or not.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis