Star Drek:Discovery

C

chris6878

Audioholic
Since Im paying damn near 300 a month for cable which includes gigabit internet and CBS.....This money grab forced my hand. I torrented the show. (WHich I find my self doing often because xfinity has the worst HD ever)
So the episodes of Star trek I downloaded are in 5.1 and a decent looking 1080i.
Because Im already paying for every channel with my cable sub, I do not feel bad at all downloading the superior quality episodes "illegally"

What CBS and Xfintity are doing should be illegal.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
What CBS and Xfintity are doing should be illegal.
... says the guy who's violating the DMCA by torrenting the show. Have you considered dumping Xfinity's TV service and getting a Roku + subscribing to PlayStation Vue, Hulu, and Netflix? I did that when my cable bill reached $200, and I haven't looked back. I still use Comcast's cable modem service, but I bought my own modem to avoid paying the monthly fee for theirs. Even just getting rid of the monthly fee for the X1 tuner box would pay for CBS All Access and then some if you'd like to stop calling the kettle black.

C

chris6878

Audioholic
... says the guy who's violating the DMCA by torrenting the show. Have you considered dumping Xfinity's TV service and getting a Roku + subscribing to PlayStation Vue, Hulu, and Netflix? I did that when my cable bill reached $200, and I haven't looked back. I still use Comcast's cable modem service, but I bought my own modem to avoid paying the monthly fee for theirs. Even just getting rid of the monthly fee for the X1 tuner box would pay for CBS All Access and then some if you'd like to stop calling the kettle black.

Naw Ill continue to call the kettle black. Not going through all that with my wife and her TV shows. WHy would I pay CBS so they can send me 2 channel sound with 480 p attached. Atleast crapfinity is Dolby digital and 720 (supposed to be 1080p). THe xfinity platform as a whole is sweet with the Cloud based dvr so I can watch shows on any device. Everything I Download, I have already paid comcast through my subscription. THe issue arises with Pirating when one downloads and shares. I download watch and delete. Not to mention all the money ive spent on Blu rays of tv seasons Ive wanted to watch but couldnt find torrents or xfinity.
So You can take the "morale" high ground. I also have netflix. Ss until all these millions of streaming services and or comcast can get me shows in 1080 and atleast dolby digital ill continue to violate DMCA and download the superior torrents using the internet connection supplied to me by the cable company im paying.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
What CBS and Xfintity are doing should be illegal.[/QUOTE]
technically he's not violating DMCA as he didn't ripped it from the original protected media and removing/bypassing it's protection.
Torrenting is another legal violation, since the way torrent works - every chunk downloaded is also shared, so they get you as illegal content distribution (so something among these lines)

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
technically he's not violating DMCA as he didn't ripped it from the original protected media and removing/bypassing it's protection.
Torrenting is another legal violation, since the way torrent works - every chunk downloaded is also shared, so they get you as illegal content distribution (so something among these lines)
Title I of the DMCA deals with circumventing copy protection, but there are other parts of the DMCA that expand copyright for the Internet age and limit liability of ISPs. The broader goal of the DMCA was to bring U.S. law into compliance with the World Intellectual Property Organization treaties. I'm pretty sure distribution of copyrighted work without permission is a DMCA violation. At my university, we (perhaps lazily) label notices of copyright infringement as DMCA violation takedown requests anyway, but our IT staff are not lawyers. I guess @chris6878 can let us know when he gets his cease and desist letter.

Last edited:
C

chris6878

Audioholic
Title I of the DMCA deals with circumventing copy protection, but there are other parts of the DMCA that expand copyright for the Internet age and limit liability of ISPs. The broader goal of the DMCA was to bring U.S. law into compliance with the World Intellectual Property Organization treaties. I'm pretty sure distribution of copyrighted work without permission is a DMCA violation. At my university, we (perhaps lazily) label notices of copyright infringement as DMCA violation takedown requests anyway, but our IT staff are not lawyers. I guess @chris6878 can let us know when he gets his cease and desist letter.
I have gotten them from comcast before years back. But like I said in my other post. I have found ways around that. You will only get a notice if you seed/share the torrent. If you DL only they say nothing. Also, another way around it is to use a seedbox. Seedbox's are used to DL torrents offsite then you use a ftp client to DL from seedbox to PC. The ISP has no idea what is being Dl'd from a seedbox. Either way. I dont share any content. I DL, watch, delete. Im already paying for the inferior quality via xfinity, so am I really evil for DL'ing the superior quality video to watch and delete?

C

chris6878

Audioholic
Also, another example of garbage service. Watch the flash last season on my cable box. THe cw was the only channel that besides the terrible HD also had audio drop outs. It happened on every ep. During a action scene the sound would go from what sounded lik DD to a mono track. Very annoying. Ofcourse comcast had no fix for it. So I had to DL it

Last edited:
rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
The following snark contains spoilers. tl;dr: I didn't like episode 8.

Turned on Episode 8 expecting to watch some Star Trek, but what I got was a ripoff of Avatar. I half expected Ash Tyler to say, "You know what? You throw a stick in the air around here it falls on some sacred fern, for Christ's sake!" And after having recently re-watched Game of Thrones, the duplicity of the ambiguously-gendered albino Klingon just can't hold a candle to Petyr Baelish. This was not a good episode.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I finally saw Star Trek Discovery E01-02.

I thought it was very exciting and entertaining, much to my surprise. :D

Vulcans & Humans vs. Klingons.

I hope the entire season is as exciting and entertaining.

I also thought both the 1080p PQ and DD5.1 SQ were very good.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Saw ST-Discovery E03 last night. Still very exciting. Will continue to watch.

Except for the original series that I watched when I was a kid, I never got into any of the Star Trek series after that. But I am really liking this new series.

I guess I don't consider myself a ST fanboy.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Saw ST-Discovery E04 last night. Probably not as exciting as E01-02, but still pretty exciting.

I like the main female lead character (Sasha from Walking Dead :D).

Definitely will continue to watch.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I thought S.T.Disc. E05 was a little stupid, but E06 was good again. :D

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
The following snark contains spoilers. tl;dr: I didn't like episode 8.

Turned on Episode 8 expecting to watch some Star Trek, but what I got was a ripoff of Avatar. I half expected Ash Tyler to say, "You know what? You throw a stick in the air around here it falls on some sacred fern, for Christ's sake!" And after having recently re-watched Game of Thrones, the duplicity of the ambiguously-gendered albino Klingon just can't hold a candle to Petyr Baelish. This was not a good episode.
What's worse is seems like the biggest STD's plot twist which was heavily hinted in last episodes of this "half" season, were largely already guessed correctly by avid internet fans

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Saw ST-Discovery E03 last night. Still very exciting. Will continue to watch.

Except for the original series that I watched when I was a kid, I never got into any of the Star Trek series after that. But I am really liking this new series.

I guess I don't consider myself a ST fanboy.
It's a decent show if you pretend it's really not Star Trek because the only thing it has in common with other Star Trek shows is in name. The klingon remake are absolutely horrible in costume, makeup and ship design. They are a boring, lifeless race as a result which is far from what they were in other series (most notably TNG and DS9). The main character is arrogant and annoying and she's just not likeable in any sense. The mushroom drive is ridiculously stupid and I hope it comes to an end soon. Other than that, it's a great show ;)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
It's a decent show if you pretend it's really not Star Trek because the only thing it has in common with other Star Trek shows is in name. The klingon remake are absolutely horrible in costume, makeup and ship design. They are a boring, lifeless race as a result which is far from what they were in other series (most notably TNG and DS9). The main character is arrogant and annoying and she's just not likeable in any sense. The mushroom drive is ridiculously stupid and I hope it comes to an end soon. Other than that, it's a great show ;)
I'm not die hard fan of Star Trek, even the blasphemy - I never gotten into DS9. I did however watched the crap out of TNG then I was younger, and the ST-D has no relationship to TNG besides similar naming and re-use of characters (but doing crappy job about it)
If a running parody/gag show - The Orville is more ST than ST itself, Houston - we have a problem.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I get the feeling that many true ST fans dislike this ST-Discovery.

I think it helps that I am definitely not a true ST fan and I don't know the intricate details about the ST universe.

But when viewed as a standalone show unrelated to ST and aside from all the science BS, I do like this ST-Discovery show better than most of the shows out there.

I think it helps to have very low expectations and almost zero knowledge of the ST universe. :D

But yeah, those Klingon Halloween costumes are ugly as hell. :D

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I'm not die hard fan of Star Trek, even the blasphemy - I never gotten into DS9. I did however watched the crap out of TNG then I was younger, and the ST-D has no relationship to TNG besides similar naming and re-use of characters (but doing crappy job about it)
If a running parody/gag show - The Orville is more ST than ST itself, Houston - we have a problem.
You really should give DS9 a shot. IMO, it represents the very best of Star Trek. It had incredible character development, great action / space battles, and intricate story arcs that build right till the very end. And yes you're right, sadly The Orville has more in common with Star Trek than STD.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I get the feeling that many true ST fans dislike this ST-Discovery.

I think it helps that I am definitely not a true ST fan and I don't know the intricate details about the ST universe.

But when viewed as a standalone show unrelated to ST and aside from all the science BS, I do like this ST-Discovery show better than most of the shows out there.

I think it helps to have very low expectations and almost zero knowledge of the ST universe. :D

But yeah, those Klingon Halloween costumes are ugly as hell. :D
Consider yourself luckly that you're not a Trekkie bc I have a love hate (mostly hate) view of STD as a result of their non adherence to canon despite claiming otherwise, the lack of synergy between the characters, the lack of hope ALL prior Star Trek has portrayed, and.... the money grab by CBS to put this show behind a paywall with a crappy App that doesn't even stream in 5.1 audio.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I have seen E01-09. My impression remains the same. Overall, I think this series is entertaining and exciting enough for me. I am on board. :D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I have seen E01-09. My impression remains the same. Overall, I think this series is entertaining and exciting enough for me. I am on board. :D
Their web site shows 8 episodes with 9th next year. How did you see the 9th already?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis