Star Drek:Discovery

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
What are your thoughts so far?
Is it just me or it screams like massive money grab scheme and naming lead female as Michael seems utterly weird choice. Yes, I'm aware that Michael could be used as girl name, but these are rare exceptions. CBS puts the credit solely on shoulders of show Executive producer. Same dude who named lead character in Dead like me, George. I think that George could be short for Georgia or Georgina. Michael as woman name is just weird and possibly really stupid.

C

cpd

Full Audioholic
I guess I'm not overly concerned about the lead character's first name. I watched the first episode and was actually surprised by the amount I enjoyed it. Then I found out that the rest of the season was not going to be on network, and is only available on CBS' paid streaming service. Now I am mad that I invested the time on the pilot.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
I watched the first 2 episodes. It's pretty good eye candy, and it easily held my attention. Not sure how I feel...

... about Sarek adopting and raising the purebred Terran as a Vulcan. Supposedly the series takes place 10 years prior to Kirk becoming captain of the Enterprise, so Michael must've been raised alongside Spock. So where's Spock in Michael's flashbacks to childhood? Nowhere yet...

... but it seems like this story line is cheaply name dropping at the expense of canon. I guess we'll see. Also, why are the Klingons pigmented like chess pieces now?

Something I do enjoy, though, is that we get to see relationships develop on the Klingon side of the story. My favorite episodes of ST:TNG were the Klingon episodes, where Worf was all Illuminati in determining the course of his home world with an unwavering moral code, but also with surprising empathy and wisdom. I hope Discovery follows a similar recipe.

Ultimately, so far this feels less like the recent reboot Kirk laserfest action movies and more a return to character studies, complex story lines, and classic Westerns-style drama. But with updated eye candy worthy of modern CG rendering.

You guys subscribing to VPN service, try connecting to an endpoint in Mexico, then logging into Netflix. Star Trek: Discovery is not blocked there.

Last edited:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Spoilers here so don't read if you haven't seen the first episode:

It was a mixed bag for me. Overall it was better than I expected but there were some really stupid things like:
1. Klingon look, lack of mobility, dry characters, speaking with marbles in their mouths, horrible looking ships, etc. What a boring race they've been rebranded as. I have little interest in seeing how they evolve as a result.
2. Holographic communications and sitting on office desk, desert scenes, etc, not only stupid but a Star Wars rip off.
3. Dry dialogue between shipmates, this may improve as the show evolves (assuming it lasts).
4. Instant mutiny seemed so unbelievable and such a betrayal of the long working relationship between the captain and first officer.
5. Uniforms are more akin to a disco tech than Star Trek making it so hard to tell rank.
6. Federation ship rip off of Axanar. They sued them and then just copied them. #lame
7. Sarek portrayal was lifeless and just uninteresting as many of the characters thus far.
8. BIGGEST ONE OF ALL: Show is subscription based money grab by CBS and a slap in the face of all Trekkers in the USA that were responsible for making the franchise a success for the last 50 years.

We are working on an article about this and will link it to this thread.

How do you get a VPN for free? I found a few online but limited to 2GB/mo.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
How do you get a VPN for free? I found a few online but limited to 2GB/mo.
With VPNs, you pretty much get what you pay for. The free ones are too saturated and unreliable to stream video I think. Most of the worthwhile VPN providers require a monthly subscription fee, but I've had pretty good luck with my lifetime subscription to Windscribe so far. I doubt lifetime actually means lifetime, but if it lasts me for 3 years I'll have gotten my money's worth I think. Got a deal through StackSocial.

Edit: Netflix seems to be rejecting Windscribe's Mexico endpoint. Maybe one of the other members can test it with PIA or another provider?

Edit 2: I tried Mexico, Brazil, France, UK, Canada, and Japan. Netflix has blacklisted them all it seems.

Last edited:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
With VPNs, you pretty much get what you pay for. The free ones are too saturated and unreliable to stream video I think. Most of the worthwhile VPN providers require a monthly subscription fee, but I've had pretty good luck with my lifetime subscription to Windscribe so far. I doubt lifetime actually means lifetime, but if it lasts me for 3 years I'll have gotten my money's worth I think. Got a deal through StackSocial.

Edit: Netflix seems to be rejecting Windscribe's Mexico endpoint. Maybe one of the other members can test it with PIA or another provider?
Yea I figured and TBH, STD isn't worth the expense for it as the sole reason.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Just when we loyal true STAR TREK fans and later rerun fans of the TOS think we have seen the end of that f$^&ing jar jar abrams Crap trek feast of few years ago it comes back to haunt the TOS fans. :mad: I seen the trailer on youtube along with all the hate of it sucks reviews. I'm BOYCOTTING it I will not watch a single one bloody episode of this, Lens Flare travesty. I hate it! Its got that rubbish jar jar abrams LENS FLARES all over it! The uniforms are all out of place. The visuals don't fit the continuity of the Trek Universe, it has to suit that f%R&*ing jar jar disney star wars abrams bulls%t for another one of these crappy alternate jar jar abrams crap feats. Not saying another damn words about this rubbish other than.

RIP STAR TREK. :( Illogically and emotionally gutted. :(

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Just when we loyal true STAR TREK fans and later rerun fans of the TOS think we have seen the end of that f$^&ing jar jar abrams Crap trek feast of few years ago it comes back to haunt the TOS fans. :mad: I seen the trailer on youtube along with all the hate of it sucks reviews. I'm BOYCOTTING it I will not watch a single one bloody episode of this, Lens Flare travesty. I hate it! Its got that rubbish jar jar abrams LENS FLARES all over it! The uniforms are all out of place. The visuals don't fit the continuity of the Trek Universe, it has to suit that f%R&*ing jar jar disney star wars abrams bulls%t for another one of these crappy alternate jar jar abrams crap feats. Not saying another damn words about this rubbish other than.

RIP STAR TREK. :( Illogically and emotionally gutted. :(
Hint: The thread title is not a typo...

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Hint: The thread title is not a typo...
How about then. Star lord helmet: Dickscovery.
I have raised the flame-shields. Mr. Scott is energizing the warp core power cells for a flame-attack.

cbs couldn't even dare to do the show with all the vintage original even tv's instead all we get is this flashy flat screen transparent junk. Some one needs to steal a enterprise rental car and run jar jar abrams over with it, for messing up Star Trek/Star Wars. I'm done and throw with it it will not get one penny. Sick and bloody tied for seeing lens flares.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
What are your thoughts so far?
Is it just me or it screams like massive money grab scheme and naming lead female as Michael seems utterly weird choice. Yes, I'm aware that Michael could be used as girl name, but these are rare exceptions. CBS puts the credit solely on shoulders of show Executive producer. Same dude who named lead character in Dead like me, George. I think that George could be short for Georgia or Georgina. Michael as woman name is just weird and possibly really stupid.
I really liked that show. Dead Like Me. I'm also very interested in Discovery. Haven't seen it yet, but I plan to.

*Edit: I really appreciate the spoiler tags. Thank you!

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator

CBS/Paramount has done it again, they’re treating Star Trek fans like a Gorn warrior treats Captain Kirk on Cestus III. CBS/Paramount are exploiting fan’s dedication to their favorite TV franchise by holding the new series hostage behind its video-streaming subscription service, CBS All Access. Will die-hard fans be willing to pay for this service to see their beloved Star Trek on TV again? Read on to see our thoughts why we remain skeptical.

Read: Star Trek Discovery - Stranded in Compressed, Two-Channel Subscription Space

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm gonna watch at least the first one tonight. Pretty bs that they're only making it available with a sub.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

CBS/Paramount has done it again, they’re treating Star Trek fans like a Gorn warrior treats Captain Kirk on Cestus III. CBS/Paramount are exploiting fan’s dedication to their favorite TV franchise by holding the new series hostage behind its video-streaming subscription service, CBS All Access. Will die-hard fans be willing to pay for this service to see their beloved Star Trek on TV again? Read on to see our thoughts why we remain skeptical.

Read: Star Trek Discovery - Stranded in Compressed, Two-Channel Subscription Space
And crappy quality! 480p? Stereo only? Wtf?

Mike Barber

Mike Barber

Audiophyte
I'll be waiting for the Blu-Ray's. I love Star Trek but am not willing to pay $10 a month for ONE series. CBS All Access has nothing else that is of interest to me.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I'll be waiting for the Blu-Ray's. I love Star Trek but am not willing to pay $10 a month for ONE series. CBS All Access has nothing else that is of interest to me.
I am wondering if you can just join at the end of the series and just watch all 15 episodes in one month?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I am wondering if you can just join at the end of the series and just watch all 15 episodes in one month?
Apparently it's a bit of a chore to cancel once you sign on and I heard they charge a month even if you do wind up cancelling. Still, it's the principle more than the fee that irks me.

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
I'm willing to forgive Discovery minor departures from canon, and especially ready to forgive look-and-feel updates. If these things never happened the show would die. I think CBS/Paramount is right to step in with bold new looks for some of the art and design. I certainly won't trust my own knee-jerk reaction to how anything looks now, it's new, it looks new, I can't say good or bad yet until I've had time to let it all sink in. Maybe a year.

Hey, I'm not proud of it but in 1988 I remember watching the STNG premiere and I hated it! Ryker looked like a frat boy ass. I hated their blonde-chick security officer, I felt I was being pandered to as a male with everyone being supposed to be pretty and fake-looking. I didn't bother watching any more of the show until sometime during season 6, I got hooked and started binging the whole thing on DVD and PVR'd re-runs over the subsequent ten years or so.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
So, apparently outside of US and Canada, Netflix has distribution rights for the Discovery. I may have seen an episode 3 :rolleyes:. The video quality was fine (1080p). didn't noticed the sound mix, as most of my current tv watching is done with headphones nowadays.
Speaking to content, without spoilers, the story is about to get noticeably darker even still

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis