Standard 12 AWG Speaker Cable Vs CAT6

S

SCP

Audiophyte
Hello Guys,

I am trying to do some in wall wiring for my speakers mostly for Surround, Back and some Zone 2/3 stereo.
Just wondering if i can use use CAT6/5 cable to carry this line level audio to speakers. The distance is around 20 Feet (wired length) sitting is like 8-10 feets.

Any suggestions idea will be helpful. Just trying to reduce some costs for home pre wiring by professionals and on material too.

Thanks,
AP

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Speaker cables for passive speakers aren't line level audio. Are you using active speakers?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
CAT6/5 cable is not adequate for driving speakers. I suggest that you just use the affordable 12 AWG wire. For the lengths required, gauge 14 should be amply sufficient.
For in-wall wiring, you have to use the CL2 rated wire in accordance with building codes.

Here is a good affordable one. I believe Amazon also sells it:

S

SCP

Audiophyte
CAT6/5 cable is not adequate for driving speakers. I suggest that you just use the affordable 12 AWG wire. For the lengths required, gauge 14 should be amply sufficient.
For in-wall wiring, you have to use the CL2 rated wire in accordance with building codes.

Here is a good affordable one. I believe Amazon also sells it:

Thank You. Its clear now and helps.
But i was expecting no response on these topics. Glad i posted my query here.
Thank you again for your inputs.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis