D

Dlint

Audiophyte
Hi All.

I was hoping to get some advise/info here.
With an Marantz SR8015 i am about to use only 9 speakers.
Will the "power" of the 2 other channels be avaible for my 9 speakers or is there a way to assign those to fronts or center channel.

Thanks

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Hi All.

I was hoping to get some advise/info here.
With an Marantz SR8015 i am about to use only 9 speakers.
Will the "power" of the 2 other channels be available for my 9 speakers or is there a way to assign those to fronts or center channel.

Thanks
Nice AVR. No, the unused channels can not be assigned to other of the 9 speakers except for bi-amp wiring the mains. The user manual can be downloaded from here:
https://www.marantz.com/en-ca/product/av-receivers/sr8015
Page 49 of the PDF (not online) manual shows the various speaker connections including 9.1 setups. You can basically choose from:
  1. 9.1 connection with the unused channels set to Zone 2 and not used. This is the default.
  2. 9.1 connection with bi-amp connection to the 2 front speakers, if your speakers support bi-amp wiring. Note that many in the forums here do not bother to bi-amp as there is usually little to be gained.
  3. 9.1 connection with the 2 unused channels connected to 2 speakers in another room (assigned to Zone 2 or Zone 3).
  4. 9.1 connection with 1 channel to a Zone 2 speaker and 1 channel to a Zone 3 speaker in mono.
Enjoy.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Since it's a single power supply for all channels, more depends on the design's limits as well as what you're playing but you would perhaps get a bit extra available from the power supply if reducing it's load....

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I think he was just meaning if the two channels are not used does that mean more available power for the rest of them. Technically no. YES you are not using them so that power is not being drawn, but that will not result in "more" power for the other channels.

Passive biamping with an AVR not worth it IMO. Maybe a tiny bit of headroom, but in the end, you likely won't notice it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I think he was just meaning if the two channels are not used does that mean more available power for the rest of them. Technically no. YES you are not using them so that power is not being drawn, but that will not result in "more" power for the other channels.

Passive biamping with an AVR not worth it IMO. Maybe a tiny bit of headroom, but in the end, you likely won't notice it.
Maybe one useful indicator of the ACD spec is that it does indicate the possibility of fewer amp channels in use yielding more power for fewer channels driven but of course any particular amp channel on it's own will have limits of course...

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Maybe one useful indicator of the ACD spec is that it does indicate the possibility of fewer amp channels in use yielding more power for fewer channels driven but of course any particular amp channel on it's own will have limits of course...
Depends on the power supply and caps in a single distributed system. These are smaller in an AVR due to real estate and cost vs. a power amp.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis