SR5015 powering Focal Chora 826

D

dro159

Audiophyte
Hi all,
New here. Had a question. I just purchased a pair of Focal Chora 826 as my fronts, powered by a Marantz SR5015. The Focals definitely need a bit more power. I was looking at the Marantz MM7025 and using the SR5015 pre-amp function to power the Focals. Would that be a good upgrade?

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
The power difference between the two Marantz products is 40 watts RMS. Assuming you only drive the front pair with the SR5015, at 8 feet away it will be 106.3 dB and beyond uncomfortably loud. Use the MM7025 and it will be 107.7 dB - not a significant bump but approaching the pain threshold. If you have the Focals near a wall or in a corner you will be over that limit.

What is the setup like (diagram?) and what are you listening to? Do you have a Sub?

D

dro159

Audiophyte
Thank you for the fast response Jim.
I do listen to the system 8 feet away and of course at lower volumes but the fronts are in a very long listening area and sound pretty quiet at the end of the room, so much so that you can start to hear a bit of distortion or clipping when listening to them afar at comfortably loud volumes. The current setup is 2.1. I've attached the room layout.

Attachments

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Yes, the SPL will diminish the further away you go from the speakers. Based on your sketch you are getting sound reinforcement from the walls and corner placements. However, if the sound if fine at 8 feet, you are not hearing clipping, but probably reflections of the sound bouncing off surfaces on it's way to where you are. Please advise the dimensions of the room. (LxWxH)

D

dro159

Audiophyte
Sorry what I meant was the sound is fine at around 8 feet away at modest volume. If I increase the volume to hear the speakers louder further away you can definitely tell there isn't enough power for the speakers and the distortion appears. I will take some measurements tonight and get back to you.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Do you have a calibrated microphone to take sound level measurements? If not there are free Smart Phone Apps that are close enough for most folks.

(I'm an Audioholic and have a calibrated Mic, and an SPL Meter. I know I have a problem...)

D

dro159

Audiophyte
I don't unfortunately, I will try the app and get back! Thank you

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Sorry what I meant was the sound is fine at around 8 feet away at modest volume. If I increase the volume to hear the speakers louder further away you can definitely tell there isn't enough power for the speakers and the distortion appears. I will take some measurements tonight and get back to you.
You can assume that every time you double the distance you will lose 6 dB SPL. That means if you double the distance (say from 8 ft to 16 ft in your specific rectangular room), in order to main the same perception of "loudness", your amp will need to output 4 times that for the 8 ft distance.

Try playing with a calculator such as the one that has been posted a million times.:)

Peak SPL Calculator (hometheaterengineering.com)

If you are going to pair the SR5015 with a power amp in order to listen from further away, you really should consider an amp that can output 200 W/300 W 8/4 ohms, preferably 400 W/600 W. Or just dial the volume down a few dB and be happy with the lower SPL.

D

dro159

Audiophyte
You can assume that every time you double the distance you will lose 6 dB SPL. That means if you double the distance (say from 8 ft to 16 ft in your specific rectangular room), in order to main the same perception of "loudness", your amp will need to output 4 times that for the 8 ft distance.

Try playing with a calculator such as the one that has been posted a million times.:)

Peak SPL Calculator (hometheaterengineering.com)

If you are going to pair the SR5015 with a power amp in order to listen from further away, you really should consider an amp that can output 200 W/300 W 8/4 ohms, preferably 400 W/600 W. Or just dial the volume down a few dB and be happy with the lower SPL.
So I guess in this case that Marantz is definitely under powered. Any amps you recommend to meet those recommended power figures?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
So I guess in this case that Marantz is definitely under powered. Any amps you recommend to meet those recommended power figures?
I am not saying that, but if the online calculator shows you that is the case then that is the case.

A good amp to consider is the Hypex (class D) based NC502MP. I know it is good because I bought one myself.

1652793082575.png

D

dro159

Audiophyte
So upon reading some reviews, I ordered 2x Outlaw 2220 Monoblocks yesterday for the heck of it. They arrived this morning and I got them all plugged in. What a difference. It seems these speakers just needed a bit more oomph.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
The audio business would be out of business without confirmation bias.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis