Sr 6014 A/V Receiver adding an External Amplifier NEED HELP

H

highrider704

Enthusiast
I know this has been discussed in many forums but nothing really revolving around marantz products. I just purchased a SR6014 Receiver as well as Bowers and wilkins proudcts, 2- Cm9's, 4- Cm-1's and a Cm Centre. I am planning on adding a SVS SB-4000 and maybe a second for Balance. I just learned that my Receiver only puts out 110 Watts/per channel 2-channel driven. I have 7 speakers hooked up to it and wanted to add an external amplifier. I was thinking of either going with the Marantz 7055, which would run my 2-fronts 1-center and 2 surround and then have the reciever just run the 2 height speakers OR going with the Emotiva XPA-3 and running the 2-front and the 1-center off of that and having the receiver run the 2-surround and the 2-heights. Would i hear a noticeable difference when adding the external amp? And if so can you give me suggestions to if i should use and 5 channel or a 3 channel? And which 3 channel or 5 channel amplifier you would suggest!

Last edited:
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I know this has been discussed in many forums but nothing really revolving around marantz products. I just purchased a SR6014 Receiver as well as 2- Cm9's, 4- Cm-1's and a Cm Centre. I am planning on adding a SVS SB-4000 and maybe a second for Balance. I just learned that my Receiver only puts out 110 Watts/per channel 2-channel driven. I have 7 speakers hooked up to it and wanted to add an external amplifier. I was thinking of either going with the Marantz 7055, which would run my 2-fronts 1-center and 2 surround and then have the reciever just run the 2 height speakers OR going with the Emotiva XPA-3 and running the 2-front and the 1-center off of that and having the receiver run the 2-surround and the 2-heights. Would i hear a noticeable difference when adding the external amp? And if so can you give me suggestions to if i should use and 5 channel or a 3 channel? And which 3 channel or 5 channel amplifier you would suggest!
You have B & W Cm series loudspeakers. The Cm9's have an impedance curve that digs down to 3 ohms and I understand why you are thinking of using external amplification.
Everything depends on the type of audio source, your listening distance from the Cm9's, the loudness you wish to listen to your system. If you always listen at a reasonable SPL, it's possible that you might not need external amplification. I suggest that you check this link to find out:

Bear in mind that, as indicated in the manufacturer's published specs, your SR6014 would output 77 watts/ch with all channels driven, and there's no reason to question an insufficient power on the surround channels. For all practical purposes, the possibility of an audio source requiring equal power for all channels is null. Most of the power required is on the 3 front channels. The only exception is if you used the "All Channel Stereo" playback.

As I already mentioned, it all depends on the size of your room, the SPL and your distance from the speakers. But after reviewing the results from the above link, you calculate that external amplification is preferable for additional headroom etc, I would recommend the Monoprice Monolith 3 or Monolith 5 power amp that would amply suit your needs.

Last edited:
H

highrider704

Enthusiast
You have B & W Cm series loudspeakers. The Cm9's have an impedance curve that digs down to 3 ohms and I understand why you are thinking of using external amplification.
Everything depends on the type of audio source, your listening distance from the Cm9's, the loudness you wish to listen to your system. If you always listen at a reasonable SPL, it's possible that you might not need external amplification. I suggest that you check this link to find out:

Bear in mind that, as indicated in the manufacturer's published specs, your SR6014 would output 77 watts/ch with all channels driven, and there's no reason to question an insufficient power on the surround channels. For all practical purposes, the possibility of an audio source requiring equal power for all channels is null. Most of the power required is on the 3 front channels. The only exception is if you used the "All Channel Stereo" playback.

As I already mentioned, it all depends on the size of your room, the SPL and your distance from the speakers. But after reviewing the results from the above link, you calculate that external amplification is preferable for additional headroom etc, I would recommend the Monoprice Monolith 3 or Monolith 5 power amp that would amply suit your needs.

Thank your for this information. Very helpful but i guess my main questions was, would i hear a noticeably difference when i added a External amplifier to my three front channels, or is it more of a visual satisfaction. Yeah i figured adding 5 channels is quite useless but it is a lot easier to find 5 channel amplifiers than 3. My seating area is approx. 7.5 feet back and the size of my room is just about 12.5 Deep by 22' wide. I listening to movies primarily at a higher than normal volume as well as music. I find it very hard to find a monoprice Monolith 3, amazon was the only place and it was the same price as the 5 channel listed on the monoprice website. Any other suggestions for 3 channel amplifiers? Thanks again for all your information.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thank your for this information. Very helpful but i guess my main questions was, would i hear a noticeably difference when i added a External amplifier to my three front channels, or is it more of a visual satisfaction. Yeah i figured adding 5 channels is quite useless but it is a lot easier to find 5 channel amplifiers than 3. My seating area is approx. 7.5 feet back and the size of my room is just about 12.5 Deep by 22' wide. I listening to movies primarily at a higher than normal volume as well as music. I find it very hard to find a monoprice Monolith 3, amazon was the only place and it was the same price as the 5 channel listed on the monoprice website. Any other suggestions for 3 channel amplifiers? Thanks again for all your information.
According @Andon , you may be able to get 3 Monoblocks for USD799.

See post#307 in the link below:

Since you don't seem to sit too far from the speakers, the 6014 is probably fine but if you want it to perform effortlessly when you do crank things up to "reference" level (that is 85 dB avg.), those mono blocks will help for sure. Do you use the same system for two channel stereo as well? If you do, there is a trick you should do in your speaker assign settings.

Regarding you question "would i hear a noticeably difference..", some will say yes, others will say no. I would say if you don't listen too loud, say keep your volume position at below -15, you shouldn't hear a difference, let alone "noticeably..", because at the level of the SR6000 series, the audio specs are already good enough to be considered transparent.

H

highrider704

Enthusiast
According @Andon , you may be able to get 3 Monoblocks for USD799.

See post#307 in the link below:

Since you don't seem to sit too far from the speakers, the 6014 is probably fine but if you want it to perform effortlessly when you do crank things up to "reference" level (that is 85 dB avg.), those mono blocks will help for sure. Do you use the same system for two channel stereo as well? If you do, there is a trick you should do in your speaker assign settings.

Regarding you question "would i hear a noticeably difference..", some will say yes, others will say no. I would say if you don't listen too loud, say keep your volume position at below -15, you shouldn't hear a difference, let alone "noticeably..", because at the level of the SR6000 series, the audio specs are already good enough to be considered transparent.
I do notice it looking for more power when i turn it up (when it is in stereo mode) so i think i am going to add an external amp. I am a little worried about those monoblocks. Not much info on them or reviews. I found a parasound Halo A31 at a great price. Do you have any knowledge on that amp?

Yes i use the same system for two channel stereo as well, I wasn't even aware of people using a whole different receiver/pre amp for HIFI vs. home theatre until a buddy of mine just told me he does that. What is the purpose in doing this? You said there is a trick i should do in the speaker assign settings? Also i Bi-amped the B&W CM9's but have not removed the short-circuiting plate(the wire connecting the top two terminals to the bottom two) when i did one side only played the tweeter and the other side only played the bass speakers? Any reason this is happening and should i be removing this connection?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I do notice it looking for more power when i turn it up (when it is in stereo mode) so i think i am going to add an external amp. I am a little worried about those monoblocks. Not much info on them or reviews. I found a parasound Halo A31 at a great price. Do you have any knowledge on that amp?

Yes i use the same system for two channel stereo as well, I wasn't even aware of people using a whole different receiver/pre amp for HIFI vs. home theatre until a buddy of mine just told me he does that. What is the purpose in doing this? You said there is a trick i should do in the speaker assign settings? Also i Bi-amped the B&W CM9's but have not removed the short-circuiting plate(the wire connecting the top two terminals to the bottom two) when i did one side only played the tweeter and the other side only played the bass speakers? Any reason this is happening and should i be removing this connection?
Those monoblocks are really outstanding. See the following review by someone who isn't paid by the manufacturer to publish a favorable text or inexact performance figures:

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General

Note that the OutLaw 2200 & ParaSound A31 are both built by the same factory...

Just my $0.02... ;)

H

highrider704

Enthusiast
Note that the OutLaw 2200 & ParaSound A31 are both built by the same factory...

Just my $0.02... ;)
Huh, never knew that, I wonder why such a fluctuation in price difference, i mean the Parasound goes for 3,000 Retail for 3 channel and you can get the same amount of power for 1,000 retail from outlaw???

H

highrider704

Enthusiast
I am actually plugging in my front left and right to the bottom termianls and the height 1 and 2 to the top terminals of my cm9"s. If this called Bi-amp'n or is this called something else? And do i need to remove the connecting plate in this scenario?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just food for thought, when i passively bi-amped, should i have removed the connecting plates?
Yep, if you're going to use both sets of terminals you need to remove the plates/wires connecting them....

H

highrider704

Enthusiast
When i did this only the tweeter worked on one of the speakers and only the two bass drives on the other speaker. Any reason this would happen?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
When i did this only the tweeter worked on one of the speakers and only the two bass drives on the other speaker. Any reason this would happen?
One set of terminals is for the bass section, the others for the higher frequencies....good thing you didn't short out the amp! Curious, why did you do this in the first place?

H

highrider704

Enthusiast
I was told by the (genius's/magnolia experts hehe) over at best buy about passive Bi-amp'n, but i never realized i had to remove the plate/wire connecting the two terminals together. (dumb :( should have known) They are still connected right now. Do you think this harmed the amplifier? Very weird why when i removed the plate/wire connecting them that they did not run correctly but when i had it installed it ran perfect. Any reason this would happen?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I was told by the (genius's/magnolia experts hehe) over at best buy about passive Bi-amp'n, but i never realized i had to remove the plate/wire connecting the two terminals together. (dumb :( should have known) They are still connected right now. Do you think this harmed the amplifier? Very weird why when i removed the plate/wire connecting them that they did not run correctly but when i had it installed it ran perfect. Any reason this would happen?
I thought you meant when you had the passive bi-amping hook up it didn't work properly! If the speakers aren't working properly with the straps removed, I'd think something has fried, but it sounds more like maybe something in the speakers' crossover network rather than the amp but you should be able to determine by changing speakers out if it's the speakers or the amp....

PS Don't listen to the boobs at BB! Altho maybe if something went wrong they'll stand behind their poor advice/instruction?

H

highrider704

Enthusiast
I thought you meant when you had the passive bi-amping hook up it didn't work properly! If the speakers aren't working properly with the straps removed, I'd think something has fried, but it sounds more like maybe something in the speakers' crossover network rather than the amp but you should be able to determine by changing speakers out if it's the speakers or the amp....

PS Don't listen to the boobs at BB! Altho maybe if something went wrong they'll stand behind their poor advice/instruction?
I just went home and checked I realized I had one of the top terminals going to the front channel on one speaker and one of the bottom channels going to the front speaker on the other channel.... whoops. So I just disconnected the passive bi-amp’s stupid scenario. I’ll just wait until I purchase a 3 channel amplifier. Still don’t know what 3 channel to use?

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I just went home and checked I realized I had one of the top terminals going to the front channel on one speaker and one of the bottom channels going to the front speaker on the other channel.... whoops. So I just disconnected the passive pi-amp’s stupid scenario. I’ll just wait until I purchase a 3 channel amplifier. Still don’t know what 3 channel to use?
Personally I'd just get a couple Crown XLS1502s if not the three monoblock Outlaw amps....good deals both.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis