Sprout 100 & Polk Audio RTI-A7

Yohansen

Yohansen

Audioholic
Hello all,

I currently own the Polk Audio RTI-A7 speakers and I’m expecting a delivery of the Sprout 100.
I would appreciate your opinion regarding this combo.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
They'll work together.....what about this combo do you think is a worry? Personally I would not buy anything from PS Audio (or BS Audio as they are becoming known).

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
I dont know how the combo will be but im very happy with my PS audio stellar GCD, much better sounding than the marantz av8805 for 2ch music.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You're s'posed to ask before you buy!

The word on your speakers is that they're nice sounding but dip pretty low in impedance so it'd be good to make sure your amp is compatible with 4 ohm speakers. Since I don't know what a Sprout 100 is I'm gonna go Google it now.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Second that.
It needs to be beefy for a hard load. The Polk Lsims are almost a 45° phase angle v impedance at the wrong place in the FR... down low. I think this is why people say Polks are power hungry. It’s not power they need, but a good, stable amp.

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
I think PS audio have a try for 30 days or something in the US.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I think PS audio have a try for 30 days or something in the US.
They're claiming the Sprout will do 100w at 4 ohms so it looks like it should do the trick.

Screenshot_2019-12-06-16-52-49-1.png

3 lbs tho? This thing is tiny! I'm not at all familiar with the product but knowing PSAudio I'm sure it ain't cheap, lol.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I don’t see any 3rd party bench tests of these.
IF:
Sensitivity of the RtiA7 is correct at 89dB,
Then 100w amplification at 4ohm should be ok.
If these were mine, I’d be looking at a better amp, capable of 250-300w per channel. Not because these are “Power Hungry,” but because these likely need power supply capable of handling a hard load.
I say this knowing that the difference between your 100w Sprout and a 300w amp is about 4.5dB. Not much. Nothing worth pursuing for purposes of SPL.
...But to not shut down when you turn up an intense LFE scene or listen to some good Electronica or other manufactured music. ;)
Of course, this is the case you like to listen near reference level. If you are a 10-15dB below kind of guy... then maybe not.
Just worth looking and understanding. ;)

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
Unless looks/compactness are primary goals, you could have aimed for a Crown XLS 1002 and a decent DAC/preamp combo. The amp is about $350 shipped which is barely over half the price of the sprout, but has ludicrous power output and is stable down to 2 ohms. That amp will kill your speakers before your speakers could dream of killing it. :D

You'd still have almost half your budget for a DAC preamp.

Yohansen

Yohansen

Audioholic
Thank you all guys for your input.
I will repost when the amp comes.
...I was wondering if the musicality of the Crown XLS 1002.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Good amps aren’t “musical.” Some will argue that. I don’t have evidence to indicate otherwise.
To me... amps need to be neutral. They should not color the signal in any way.
Good quality source and good quality speakers... that’s where your sound should come from... anything in between... not so much.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, I've got a variety of amps in the house (including some XLS1500s), this "musical" description has always mystified me. I've come to think of it as some sort of shorthand in that the owner likes their amp, can't get much more out it than that (and that often has nothing to do with actual performance, sometimes a pretty amp or a famous amp or a well reviewed amp or a particularly expensive amp....). Just about every amp out there gets a musicality approval so....if really worried just find the few poor amps and avoid them. The Crowns are used by professional sound people for producing musical performances even, whaddya want? :)

vader540is

vader540is

Full Audioholic
Pass on that tiny Amp. Get a real Amp...those polks want power.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
those polks want power
Do they want power... as wattage? Or need current?
This concept of "Power Hungry" speakers is silly. I've never seen it quantified beyond speakers that present a difficult load due to low Impedance at low frequencies, and with a poor Phase Angle.

I agree that this Amp is perhaps not the right choice... but OP will need to determine that on his own.

To the other point... I am not an EE, and am doing my best to learn. :) Do you have some explanation for "Power Hungry" that you would care to share, please?

vader540is

vader540is

Full Audioholic
This concept of "Power Hungry" speakers is silly. I've never seen it quantified beyond speakers that present a difficult load due to low Impedance at low frequencies, and with a poor Phase Angle.

I agree that this Amp is perhaps not the right choice... but OP will need to determine that on his own.

To the other point... I am not an EE, and am doing my best to learn. :) Do you have some explanation for "Power Hungry" that you would care to share, please?
IMHO those Polks need more than whatever that lil ps audio amp can do.

Yohansen

Yohansen

Audioholic

I agree with you regarding: Power hungry.
What it matters is the current.
I will definitely post my impressions guys after listening to the amp. In the worst case scenario, I might get a pair of ELAC speakers with less wattage.
:)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I will definitely post my impressions guys after listening to the amp. In the worst case scenario, I might get a pair of ELAC speakers with less wattage.
What do you mean by "less wattage" with the Elac speakers? Are you going by max wattage rating or something? Maybe higher impedance or more sensitive speakers, but a wattage rating isn't all that meaningful.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Consider instead, making certain you get the right tool for the job.
What is your goal?
What is your story, @Yohansen ?
Did you just get those speakers? Shopping for something new? Looking for good 2-channel... Surround... HT?

Yohansen

Yohansen

Audioholic
What do you mean by "less wattage" with the Elac speakers? Are you going by max wattage rating or something? Maybe higher impedance or more sensitive speakers, but a wattage rating isn't all that meaningful.
I mean the specs of the speaker. For example, my RTI-A7 can hold from 30 to 300 watts. I’m sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis