Sports Enthusiast Cord Cutters Big Losers in Streaming World?

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
In the last year NBC dropped its two sports channels! So for the most part Olympic type sports are seldom soon on cable TV. Now only an occasional summary show.
Now almost all TV sports are sponsored by on-line gambling.

The minor sports can be found on the internet, but no English commentator sound track.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
After many years we dropped Direct TV. Before that, we dropped our cable (after 20+ years of service) just keeping the Internet access.

Got Rokus and Tablos.

Paid the yearly guide for Tablos and pay subscription for Discovery+ and OAN. That's it. We have the family Netflix and Tidal HiFi subscriptions, but that's it. We don't need/want any more. So our bill has dropped tremendously.

For sure, I don't need to pay 100 bucks a month to keep a service that will "allow" me to purchase Pay Per View... seriously?

Why do they have commercial in TSC and HSN? Why do they have ads in infomercial programs?

I never watched ESPN, CNN, MSNBC.. etc. etc... FNC has gone nuts too... so, since many of the channels we watched are OTA anyhow (SoCal... clear shot to Mt. Wilson north of us) I don't need Direct TV and all of its shows that I never watch but they charge me for ( I tried to dump ESPN, CNN, MSNBC.... no way... stuck with their carriage fees...).

Why should I pay carriage fees to Direct TV for local OTA channels when I can get them clearly with a roof antenna and store them in my PVRs?

Sports? Forget it. It was nice that they broadcast the Spanish SuperCup over OTA but they cut out and didn't show the after game ceremonies... instead switched to some inane badminton or something of that "caliber"...

Le Tour de France... well I missed that... I might figure out how to get it later. Normally we do 90% of our watching via the PVRs anyhow.

Yes, it is sad that so many services want their cut... but, OTOH, it allows me to apply a scalpel.

If only it were like Amazon... One Ring To Rule Them All. Amazon doesn't charge me (OK, my daughter pays the Prime fee)... they do charge a premium in many things ( The Home Depot finally got smart with their online sales... Costco is not... many retailers charge me a huge cost and time delay for shipping... seriously ) but Amazon is convenient... and they don't charge me unless I buy something. Nice... I don't have to buy towels if all I need is toilet paper.

Yes, greed is gonna kill the streaming fee model.
How do you watch sports without cable ? That and a few specific tv shows are only reason I watch cable.
Old channels that used to be free are now premium channels.

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
They should become Sports cutters too, then. If any one industry in this country needed a boycott reset, it would have to be pro and college sports. They won't be getting a cent out of me. I'd rather play a sport than pay someone else to. None of the people in that industry are worth what they are getting paid.
You might enjoy this.

crazyfingers

crazyfingers

Full Audioholic
I don't know how sports fans don't go on a full fledged revolt.

While I don't care about sports myself, my wife and two boys are big Toronto Maple Leafs fans. Every night that there is a game they do their search for it. Is it on Sling? Is it on ESPN? ESPN+? What good is an NHL subscription that doesn't work? I swear it's every time and 1/3 the time it's on some other service we don't get. And why do they need to know what cable TV service we have when we don't have cable TV?

What other industry so thoroughly screws over their customers like professional sports?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord

While I don't care about sports myself, my wife and two boys are big Toronto Maple Leafs fans. Every night that there is a game they do their search for it. Is it on Sling? Is it on ESPN? ESPN+? What good is an NHL subscription that doesn't work? I swear it's every time and 1/3 the time it's on some other service we don't get. And why do they need to know what cable TV service we have when we don't have cable TV?

What other industry so thoroughly screws over their customers like professional sports?
This type of thing is 100% why I turn on YouTube TV during the season for the sports I actually care to watch.

Even then, sometimes games are blacked out. It's annoying.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai

I don’t know I miss hundreds of games yearly because I lost my dvr and don’t have nba tv. Cable sucks and streaming sucks..
Tomorrow to watch the caveliers I gotta miss two playoff games .

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis