Spendor, Dynaudio, Magico, PMC - my experience and questions

B

bcrier

Audiophyte
I recently auditioned Spender D9, Dynaudio Contour 30 and 60, Magico A3, PMC Fact 8 and Proac D48 paired up with Bryston 4B3 and Bryston Preamp and also with Copland CTA 350.

In-fact I was not even planning to listen to Spendor D9s. But I was surprised to hear the D9s clarity, detail, transparency, speed, tight control of the bottom end, commanding mids, crisp highs and overall a more enjoyable listening experience than the other speakers. In fact in my untrained audiophile lingo they "blew every other speaker out of the water". I wanted to buy them on the spot, but then waited to get others opinions.

Questions:

- Why is so little info available on Spendor D9s? Why don't they get the "love" that I think they deserve?
- What is your opinion of Spendor D9? Would you pick it above the others? Your reasons, either way?
- In the same price range, what are other alternatives?

Thank you,
Bobby

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What price range is that? Where are you? I've heard nice things about Spendor but never saw one offered for sale in any shop I've been in, more a UK thing than a US thing I think. Where did you audition them, in your own room?

B

bcrier

Audiophyte
Price range: CAD $8,000 - $14,000. I am in Toronto, Canada, and auditioned the speakers in a few different stores, using same CDs, generally similar level of cables and very similar placement of speakers and listening position. Source was Bryston BCD3 in most cases. In one case the source was an Esoteric CD transport but then again I listened to Spendor D9, PMC Fact 8 and Dynaudio 60 with the same setup, and Spendor D9 stood out.

Anyone else can share their experience with Spendor D9?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Level of cables? What's that? Rooms were similar, too? I was wondering more if it was in your own room for some meaningful comparisons....

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I recently auditioned Spender D9, Dynaudio Contour 30 and 60, Magico A3, PMC Fact 8 and Proac D48 paired up with Bryston 4B3 and Bryston Preamp and also with Copland CTA 350.

In-fact I was not even planning to listen to Spendor D9s. But I was surprised to hear the D9s clarity, detail, transparency, speed, tight control of the bottom end, commanding mids, crisp highs and overall a more enjoyable listening experience than the other speakers. In fact in my untrained audiophile lingo they "blew every other speaker out of the water". I wanted to buy them on the spot, but then waited to get others opinions.

Questions:

- Why is so little info available on Spendor D9s? Why don't they get the "love" that I think they deserve?
- What is your opinion of Spendor D9? Would you pick it above the others? Your reasons, either way?

Thank you,
Bobby
Spendor have long made some of the very finest speakers available. They can be recommended without reservation. They should be much more widely known in the US than they are. I'm not at all surprised they stood out as the high performer. Inaccurate speakers have a long history of doing well in the US, but they don't do well in the UK.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Spendor have long made some of the very finest speakers available. They can be recommended without reservation. They should be much more widely known in the US than they are. I'm not at all surprised they stood out as the high performer. Inaccurate speakers have a long history of doing well in the US, but they don't do well in the UK.
How would you compare Spendor to something from ATC? They seem like they should be better known as well from comments I've seen from you and others...

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
How would you compare Spendor to something from ATC? They seem like they should be better known as well from comments I've seen from you and others...
They definitely rank with ATC.

I

ichigo

Full Audioholic

Looking at the D7 measurements, I wonder if has anything to do with rise in output in the 2-4K range and the hole in off-axis dispersion in this range. This would result in a lot of direct sound and not as much reflections, and sound "crisper" in short auditions. But I think long term with so much direct sound (versus reflected sound) in this range it would sound lacking in air and/or spaciousness.

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The Spendor D7 and Spendor A9 measurements are mediocre at best, and their prices are absurd relative to their performance.

I don't know about the D9, however.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/spendor-d7-loudspeaker-measurements

https://www.stereophile.com/content/spendor-a7-loudspeaker-measurements
Nice on-axis response, but the directivity control is sorely lacking. The reason is clear, much too high of a crossover frequency for those cone sizes. 3.7 kHz going from a 7" midrange to a 1" tweeter!

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
Yep, a 7" midrange should necessitate a tweeter than can cross over lower than most.

If I remember right, it's not even quite a 1" tweeter. They use 22mm Seas tweeters, smaller than the more common 27mm tweeters. So that makes a bad choice of driver combination even worse.

They also have significant problems with port resonances, bad enough that they show up in the on-axis response.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Yep, a 7" midrange should necessitate a tweeter than can cross over lower than most.
A 7" midrange pretty much necessitates a horn-loaded tweeter or something with a serious waveguide, and even then crossed over at a much lower frequency, like around 2 kHz I would guess. I am sure Spendor's rationale for their design is that they don't want a crossover anywhere in the mids because they think it would create disconnect in this heavily trafficked frequency band, to which I would say just make a good crossover, or better yet, make a three-way with a smaller midrange if you want such a high crossover frequency. The $70 speaker -that's right, $70 speaker- I am reviewing right now puts this thing to shame regarding directivity control!

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Well, the guy asked about D9. It could be a more successful model. Spendor does have some very good speakers in its history and of course there's always the fabled BBC research team story. Along Harbeth, Castle, Rogers, KEF etc. Spendor was another one to profit from that era.

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
Isn't the D9 just the D7 with an additional woofer and a different crossover to make it a true three-way?

If so, it still has the questionable combination of a 7" midrange with a 22mm (<1") tweeter crossed at somewhere around above 3.5kHz, ie, it sill will have really poor off-axis response.

B

bcrier

Audiophyte
Thank you everyone for your responses so far. This is exactly what I was hoping for, a conversation. I did subjective evaluations based on short listening sessions, and liked D9. But before I dropped any money, I wanted to ask for opinions. The D7 measurements shared here have prompted me to educate myself further. Thx.

What are your recommendations for good floor standing speakers that cost up to US $16,000?

Overall Setup - I am considering is Bryston 4B3 with a tube preamp. I listened to -
- Copland 305, which I really liked
- VTL 2.5, did not like. Will try 5.5.
- Will be auditioning Audible Illusions Modulus 3B
- Nagra Classic which I absolutely loved, but there is no way I can afford it :)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I would just get a known accurate loudspeaker. And if you have a preference in voicing, just EQ it. But start from a reference point of accuracy. I would be looking at Revel, Monitor Audio, PSB, ATC, Paradigm, maybe RBH if it is available over there, in that price range.

G

GBartman

Audiophyte
Thank you everyone for your responses so far. This is exactly what I was hoping for, a conversation. I did subjective evaluations based on short listening sessions, and liked D9. But before I dropped any money, I wanted to ask for opinions. The D7 measurements shared here have prompted me to educate myself further. Thx.

What are your recommendations for good floor standing speakers that cost up to US $16,000?

Overall Setup - I am considering is Bryston 4B3 with a tube preamp. I listened to -
- Copland 305, which I really liked
- VTL 2.5, did not like. Will try 5.5.
- Will be auditioning Audible Illusions Modulus 3B
- Nagra Classic which I absolutely loved, but there is no way I can afford it :)
Which pre did you choose and why? I'm in the same predicament as you were in. thinking you went to a store on Bloor street lol.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
My dealer (who I visit often to hear speakers I can't afford) is an authorized Spendor dealer. Last weekend I heard the Classic 1/2 speakers they had special-ordered for demonstration, and was suitably stunned. Crazy good speakers, which kind of surprised me given that I wasn't impressed by the D7's they have.

Being a KEF owner and aficionado, I was surprised at how good they are.

G

Grandzoltar

Full Audioholic

Questions:

Thank you,
Bobby
I agree with shady in that price range Revel 226be, Paradigm persona 3f, Focal katana no.2 or Sopra, Monitor audio latest Gold series are the speakers I would be auditioning.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis