P

psychedelic_boomer

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Hi, I was just wondering what would be the best speaker set up for surround sound. I have two Merak, 250 watt front speakers with 15&quot; woofers, 25 Hz - 20,000 Hz. They are ported too. Is that good enough for bass, or do I need a sub woofer too? And for rear speakers, are big ones better (like 20-20,000 Hz with 12&quot; woofers), or smaller ones better? And what frequeny range should I look for for center and rear speakers?
Thanks alot everyone!

--Dallas--</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>is that enough for bass?
&gt; are you happy with the bass it makes now!

they are 15s,and if they are decent 15s you will get good bass.Try listening to a friends system to see if your missing anything.If they do 25hz well,then you dont need a sub.

I dont think its any use having rear speakers that do bass(unless you have money to burn) because low bass is non directional.

often rear speakers similar to your mains is waht people do.
eg 100hz-20khz is enough - am i right?(diy sub guy not multichannel )

its neat to have lots of subs tho lol

center speakers are just midrange (i think) as its for the vocals

eg 100hz-10k- so it means midrange
(im not a 5.1phile)

</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
<font color='#000000'>Most people do smaller speakers for surrounds, but then set the receiver to 'small' so that any low frequancy info goes to the subwoofer...

Even without a sub, if that information is sent to your mains, then you'll still get decent sound out of smaller surrounds... I don't know your room - perhaps large speakers would fit right in...

Having all large speakers is nice for DVD-A and SACD, though... so long as you enjoy the sound of the speakers. I am not familiar with yours.

Check the frequency response of your mains and see how well they do with low frequency.</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
hawke : <font color='#000000'>Most people do smaller speakers for surrounds, but then set the receiver to 'small' so that any low frequancy info goes to the subwoofer...

Even without a sub, if that information is sent to your mains, then you'll still get decent sound out of smaller surrounds... I don't know your room - perhaps large speakers would fit right in...

Having all large speakers is nice for DVD-A and SACD, though... so long as you enjoy the sound of the speakers. I am not familiar with yours.

Check the frequency response of your mains and see how well they do with low frequency.</font>
<font color='#0000FF'>I have the settings to 'Large' for my rear surrounds as my NS-100( 8&quot; woofers ) bookshelfs can pump out a fair amount of bass although not as good as my main towers. The reason is that when I set the centers and rears to small I somehow seem to loose quite a bit of ambinence. Try and see what suits you best.
</font>

P

psychedelic_boomer

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Sounds good. I have two large speakers with 12&quot; woofers and the 15&quot;s so thats why I was wondering, if I could use them as rears. But if I did that, and set it at large, would the fronts get less bass?

I actually dont have the 5.1 reciever yet, only the old dolby surround kind. I'm gonna get the reciever soon but theres a deal, and you get a discount if you get surround speakers at the same time.

So, whats your opinons, use the 12's, or get new ones? &nbsp;

Thanks again every1!
&nbsp;
</font>

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
psychedelic_boomer : <font color='#000000'>Sounds good. I have two large speakers with 12&quot; woofers and the 15&quot;s so thats why I was wondering, if I could use them as rears. But if I did that, and set it at large, would the fronts get less bass?</font>
<font color='#000000'>Nope. Doesn't have a thing to do with how much, rather where the information is being sent. If you set a speaker to 'small' the low freq info will get sent to wherever you have the sub routed.

You want to route the low frequencies to the best possible place.

If you have the speakers laying around - hook them up and see what you think. The only problem with audio is, as soon as you hear something better, you want to upgrade! &nbsp;

So if you're happy - DON'T listen to anything else! &nbsp;hehe</font>

P

psychedelic_boomer

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Awesome, Thanks every1!</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis