R

rowdy125

Audiophyte
Hey there, i am a "newbie" so to speak so please bare with me!
I am setting a upa theatre room, and want some advice on speakers, have got amp (Yamaha RXV 4600 and DVD 2500) but cant decide on speakers. I like the Klipsch Rf35 package and the Boston VR2 series (With matching rears and sub and centre) and quite like the Infinity beta 50 and matching kit. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!!:rolleyes:

M

mnnc

Full Audioholic
rowdy125 said:
Hey there, i am a "newbie" so to speak so please bare with me!
I am setting a upa theatre room, and want some advice on speakers, have got amp (Yamaha RXV 4600 and DVD 2500) but cant decide on speakers. I like the Klipsch Rf35 package and the Boston VR2 series (With matching rears and sub and centre) and quite like the Infinity beta 50 and matching kit. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!!:rolleyes:
I have read great things about the Klipsch system however have heard some negatives as well concerning the lower output. I own BA and have owned several speaker systems from them. I like them alot. Both systems should be, correct me if I am wrong, about the same as far as price range is concerned. As most, if not all will tell you...go audition and bring the stuff YOU like to listen to/watch not the stores perfectly mixed/engineered reference cd. Sure it will sound good but not all music is recorded so well. Axiom, Aperion, and Athena should be considered. If at all possible deal with those that are willing to let you take home a set and audition for a week or so. Most often it's not about saving ten or twenty bucks but the service you get far outweighs saving a few dollars. In fact, good service will save you time, frustration, and money. Read some equip reviews here but ultimately let YOUR EARS decide. Nice recv'r and source by the way. I have 2500 and c-750. Now go audition!

M

mgripy

Audiophyte

Paradigm best speakers for the money hands down, listen and you will understand, if you go budget and spend about 1k you can get phantoms, cs-2 center, a pair of titans for your rears, and a pair of atoms for your backs. well ok that would be about 1300 for a nice setup that wont break the bank, but for that money you will never find a money/vs sound quality not even close.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Have to agree with mnnc and mgripy. I was considering the Klipsch rf7 package for some time...until I heard paradigms (and B&W). I opted for the Paradigms (studio 100's, cc570, servo 15 and 4 minis) and the experience is WOW. I spent about 1k less than on the Klipsch package (I would have spent 4k more on the B&W package, but bear in mind all these speakers are very different), and have a 5 year warranty to boot. The bottom line is, there are really three factors: sound, quality and price. First, you must love the sound. After all, most of us make a substantial speaker investment (package wise for ht) once only every 5 to what...20 years. Then consider quality (and Klipsch are well built, as are most of the speaker brands recommended in this forum). And then, of course, price. My best advice is to listen, listen, listen (and then compare, compare, compare). Even if you cannot do a side by side comparison (our listening "memory" is notoriously short), with the same equipment, in the same room with the same atmospheric conditions, you can always note your specific likes and dislikes about certain setups, as well as overall sound quality. I just cannot rave enough about my paradigm reference purchase over my near Klipsch reference purchase (not taking anything away from Klipsch, Paradigm is simply a better speaker at a better price with a better warranty, and I like the Paradigms sound better). The last thing you want to do is second guess the day (week or month) after your purchase. Go out and make your own listening comparisons and choose with the best information available (along with the best price, quality warranty)...and you cannot go wrong. Good luck!

C

claudermilk

Full Audioholic
Definitely listen to everything you can. I personally don't care for the Klipsh, but did give them a listen. I was originally going to get Polks, but then found a Paradigm dealer & it was definitely a revelation. I ended up with Studio 20's and haven't looked back.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
claudermilk said:
Definitely listen to everything you can. I personally don't care for the Klipsh, but did give them a listen. I was originally going to get Polks, but then found a Paradigm dealer & it was definitely a revelation. I ended up with Studio 20's and haven't looked back.
Just to prove you need to look and listen for yourself....I can't stand the afore mentioned Paradigms. I find them compressed and overly bright. If you're going to spend that kind of money, check out ACI, Rockets, Axioms, etc. But you need to audition audition audition. Otherwise, you just may be wasting your hard-earned money. :( :)

Happy hunting

M

mgripy

Audiophyte

Wow compressed and overly bright, interesting, for my ears the midrange on the paradigms are "alive" in my head. Thats why I went with them. Others I listened too were very flat in the midrange. I did hear some tighter bass on others you suggest compared to the digms, but personal choice is what is comes down too, I think all the suggestions in this thread are good speakers, so listen to all of em. Don't forget to listen to similar electronics as close as you have when you demo them.

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
mgripy said:
Wow compressed and overly bright, interesting, for my ears the midrange on the paradigms are "alive" in my head. Thats why I went with them. Others I listened too were very flat in the midrange. I did hear some tighter bass on others you suggest compared to the digms, but personal choice is what is comes down too, I think all the suggestions in this thread are good speakers, so listen to all of em. Don't forget to listen to similar electronics as close as you have when you demo them.
.....as good a report as we can get.....

.....edit....and, it sounds like you could use some ultra-clean small cannons, MGripy....costly venture, though....depending on your standards.....MGripy, you a griper?.....

Last edited:
J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
rjbudz said:
I find them compressed and overly bright. If you're going to spend that kind of money...
One man's junk...Overly bright, boomy, punchy, muddy, diffused, etc., etc., etc. I find Paradigm (reference) to be incredibly accurate...a commonly overlooked attribute. I just listened to a friend's Mannheim Steamroller cd. The piano, horns, drums all filled my space...my room came alive with music. I almost caught myself looking over my shoulder for the phantom flutist. And noone ever mentioned a specific dollar value. So it is premature to compare to other manufacturers(unless we are assuming full retail). I'll reiterate what I stated before; the consumer must decide what sounds best to him/her, as he/she is the one spending the dollars, and must live with the sound capabilities they've purchased. Some ears are more perceptive than others, but all ears are subjective...some like highs, some like mids, and some like lows. A well informed speaker purchase considers all of the following; sound, accuracy, quality and warranty (unless one plans on blowing or discarding them within a year or two), and, ultimately, price.

S

SteveQuenton

Audiophyte
Johnd said:
Have to agree with mnnc and mgripy. I was considering the Klipsch rf7 package for some time...until I heard paradigms (and B&W). I opted for the Paradigms (studio 100's, cc570, servo 15 and 4 minis) and the experience is WOW.
I'm trying to decide if the Servo 15 is for me - do you have the new version that SoundStage and Secrets reviewed? It looks like an excellent sub.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
SteveQuenton said:
I'm trying to decide if the Servo 15 is for me -
I have the latest servo 15 (v.2) in a basement theater that measures 15.5' x 26.0' with terazzo floors and it does not miss a note. I hear (and feel) things I never knew existed. I think you would be hard pressed to be unimpressed with this sub (it extends down to 14 Hz!). Try Jeff at 6th Ave. if you can't find a good deal. Let us know what you decide on.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Johnd said:
One man's junk...Overly bright, boomy, punchy, muddy, diffused, etc., etc., etc. I find Paradigm (reference) to be incredibly accurate...a commonly overlooked attribute. I just listened to a friend's Mannheim Steamroller cd. The piano, horns, drums all filled my space...my room came alive with music. I almost caught myself looking over my shoulder for the phantom flutist. And noone ever mentioned a specific dollar value. So it is premature to compare to other manufacturers(unless we are assuming full retail). I'll reiterate what I stated before; the consumer must decide what sounds best to him/her, as he/she is the one spending the dollars, and must live with the sound capabilities they've purchased. Some ears are more perceptive than others, but all ears are subjective...some like highs, some like mids, and some like lows. A well informed speaker purchase considers all of the following; sound, accuracy, quality and warranty (unless one plans on blowing or discarding them within a year or two), and, ultimately, price.
I thoroughly agree. I wasn't trying to put down 'digms, by the way...just highlight the need for the poster to audition for himself. Paradigms are great speakers, no doubt about it, but hearing is so "individualized". I like my speakers a little reserved is all. And that was the example I was using.

So the message we're all giving is "here are some suggestions...but you need to listen and decide for yourself before slapping down the bucks."

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
rjbudz said:
....I can't stand the afore mentioned Paradigms. I find them compressed and overly bright. If you're going to spend that kind of money...
rjbudz: Thanks for the clarification. From the excerpt above, I took it as a personal affront:rolleyes:, even though I am in no way affiliated with Paradigm. I entirely agree that sound is individual, and that one must therefore listen. And the point I was attempting to make in my diatribe, was that although sound is subjective (according to one's personal tastes), construction quality, r&d, warranty and price are not, and they can (and are) be readily compared to other speakers. Happy listening!

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
no paradigm is not the best for the money hands down

mgripy said:
Paradigm best speakers for the money hands down, listen and you will understand, if you go budget and spend about 1k you can get phantoms, cs-2 center, a pair of titans for your rears, and a pair of atoms for your backs. well ok that would be about 1300 for a nice setup that wont break the bank, but for that money you will never find a money/vs sound quality not even close.
Thats why I'm running PSB. I prefer them to Paradigm anyday but I wont say the PSB is the best for the money hands down. PSB are comparably priced to Paradigms, have smoother highs, tighter deeper base and image much better on a per comparable price model than Paradigm. But that is to my ears only. I will not say that PSB is the best value hands down however cause nobody can listen thru my ears.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis