xreaperx22

xreaperx22

Junior Audioholic
ok so i have my receiver, now i plan to buy another set of speakers,i have one set but this is for a different room,anyways i had the Canton gle 496 tower speakers in mind,i never heard these before and wonder if there any good any thoughts would be great.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
What speakers do you already have? Is there something that you especially like or dislike about them? I'm of the opinion that a second pair of speakers with a different sound but still very good sound is better than a pair of speakers that sound a lot like what you already have.
I have heard two pairs of Canton's and both perform very well for their price point. I'm fairly comfortable saying that they would be good speakers.

xreaperx22

xreaperx22

Junior Audioholic
ah yeah guess it helps to know what i have in the other room,i have the Bic acoustech pl980's along with the rest on the speakers that match for 7.1 surround,thats for my bedroom this new set will go in the living room,

hmm i dont know about those bostons Afterlife2,6/12'' woofer and dont need a sub? the cantons i was looking at has dual 8" which would prolly be alot better for the bass,but im not really getting them for that,just want clear mids and sharp highs.

xreaperx22

xreaperx22

Junior Audioholic
oddly enough those cantons are cheaper than the bic pl 980;s i bought lol

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
ah yeah guess it helps to know what i have in the other room,i have the Bic acoustech pl980's along with the rest on the speakers that match for 7.1 surround,thats for my bedroom this new set will go in the living room,

hmm i dont know about those bostons Afterlife2,6/12'' woofer and dont need a sub? the cantons i was looking at has dual 8" which would prolly be alot better for the bass,but im not really getting them for that,just want clear mids and sharp highs.
Like I said the tweeters is top notch in the Boston + reviews have mentioned that the bass is good. I've heard a pair of Cantons and I really liked what I heard. You can't go wrong with either. Too bad amazon doesn't have these you could compare both and send back the one you like the least.
Would you consider a bookshelf with stands? If you will there is a pair of Canton that KEW reviewed and he loved them.

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
There was some discussion of those towers in this thread (in case you haven't yet found it)!
https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/ac4l-june-is-speaker-month-10-off-most.111464/#post-1252261

They do not specify the conditions for the frequency response they provide, however, it is a safe bet that the 20Hz bottom is not an audible reality. I might guess mid to upper 30's. The 6" drivers in my Canton Chrono 520.2 put out some good solid bass, so I think Canton would probably get good bass out of their 8" drivers.

As best I can tell, it looks like they took the old aluminium-magnesium tweeter from the GLS (and Chrono series) and put it in the newer GLE models (which were previously soft domes) when they eliminated the GLS series. I have heard this in the Chrono, and it is a nice tweeter. Maybe they dropped the GLS series because the GLE and it were converging on the same design/price-point?

Hopefully @zieglj01 may be able to offer additional insight. I know he is familiar with the Canton GLS-2 and he may also be familiar with the tweeter used in the Boston Acoustics model..

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
There was some discussion of those towers in this thread (in case you haven't yet found it)!
https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/ac4l-june-is-speaker-month-10-off-most.111464/#post-1252261

They do not specify the conditions for the frequency response they provide, however, it is a safe bet that the 20Hz bottom is not an audible reality. I might guess mid to upper 30's. The 6" drivers in my Canton Chrono 520.2 put out some good solid bass, so I think Canton would probably get good bass out of their 8" drivers.

As best I can tell, it looks like they took the old aluminium-magnesium tweeter from the GLS (and Chrono series) and put it in the newer GLE models (which were previously soft domes) when they eliminated the GLS series. I have heard this in the Chrono, and it is a nice tweeter. Maybe they dropped the GLS series because the GLE and it were converging on the same design/price-point?

Hopefully @zieglj01 may be able to offer additional insight. I know he is familiar with the Canton GLS-2 and he may also be familiar with the tweeter used in the Boston Acoustics model..
By the way a sub is a necessity with any theater system. The towers as your sub is a bad idea. IMHO. :)

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
The Canton speakers are in a higher league over the Boston and their Kortec tweeters -- And as stated, ignore the Canton marketing bass specs -- however Canton does have good bass, and the Canton bass is nice and rich and not boomy or mushy sounding. The Canton will also have good mids and treble, and you should find them an ear opener compared to them Bic speakers -- Canton will have good detail and definition and you should find them more cohesive and coherent sounding.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The Canton speakers are in a higher league over the Boston and their Kortec tweeters -- And as stated, ignore the Canton marketing bass specs -- however Canton does have good bass, and the Canton bass is nice and rich and not boomy or mushy sounding. The Canton will also have good mids and treble, and you should find them an ear opener compared to them Bic speakers -- Canton will have good detail and definition and you should find them more cohesive and coherent sounding.
As always, thanks for sharing your observations!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
ok so i have my receiver, now i plan to buy another set of speakers,i have one set but this is for a different room,anyways i had the Canton gle 496 tower speakers in mind,i never heard these before and wonder if there any good any thoughts would be great.
Are you looking at the 496 or the 496.2?

The tweeter Zieglj and I have heard is the aluminum (which is very likely the same as my Chrono 520.2 has) one. The older 496 design uses a fabric tweeter and the 496.2 uses the aluminum tweeter!

IME, the Aluminum will add a bit of high frequency sparkle to the sound. Since you said you wanted sharp highs, I think the 496.2 would be a better fit! Of course if you are buying from A4L, the 496.2 is only available in Zebrawood!

If I have screwed you up, I am terribly sorry! All I can do is let you know as soon as I realized this!

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I totally agree. Canton's I heard are fantastic with great tight bass. If you were to recommend to the OP which would you recommend in his price range the bookshelf or floor standing model?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I totally agree. Canton's I heard are fantastic with great tight bass. If you were to recommend to the OP which would you recommend in his price range the bookshelf or floor standing model?
I prefer the best bookshelf I can find in the price range -- however the OP seems to be a tower guy, plus $700 for the 796.2 is hard to over-look and is a real good deal.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I prefer the best bookshelf I can find in the price range -- however the OP seems to be a tower guy, plus $700 for the 796.2 is hard to over-look and is a real good deal.
Actually, $630. There's another 10% off for this month!

xreaperx22

xreaperx22

Junior Audioholic
well i will be getting bookshelf speakers to go with them as it too will be a theatre setup but mostly music,and i dont mind if there not bass heavy as i will be adding a sunfire sub in the mix also,so yeah i will be getting bookshelf also in the same price point,I think they are the 496.2 at least thats what they say at ac4l,i thought was a typo lol i couldnt find any reviews for the .2's just the regular 496's,Thanks all for the great input i appreciate it!

also i love that tiger wood look,very sharp! lol

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Get them yet? Pics when you get the chance.

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
well i will be getting bookshelf speakers to go with them as it too will be a theatre setup but mostly music,and i dont mind if there not bass heavy as i will be adding a sunfire sub in the mix also,so yeah i will be getting bookshelf also in the same price point,I think they are the 496.2 at least thats what they say at ac4l,i thought was a typo lol i couldnt find any reviews for the .2's just the regular 496's,Thanks all for the great input i appreciate it!

Excellent!
The regular 496 may be a fine speaker, but the 496.2 has the tweeter I have heard and liked!

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I think they are the 496.2 at least thats what they say at ac4l,i thought was a typo lol i couldnt find any reviews for the .2's just the regular 496's,Thanks all for the great input i appreciate it!

As stated, the .2 version is the one to get -- the tweeter is a good one

xreaperx22

xreaperx22

Junior Audioholic
still waiting for them to be delivered will add pics soon as i set them up!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis