Speakers & room size

R

Russ1

Audiophyte
Hi I’m new here. My audio knowledge is maybe average at best. I have an Onkyo surround, but the house we bought a few years ago, the speakers just aren’t strong enough to fill the room. I’m looking to start piecing together a new setup. My living room is 25’ x 25’. The peak in the ceiling is around 13’ give or take, and the room is carpeted.

I’m just going to buy the front channels awhile, and eventually buy the rest. Mostly my surround is used for my record player, and movies. The speakers I’m looking at are Polk T50 and the TSi300 floor speakers. I’m also looking at Klipsch bookshelf’s. Would any of these be strong enough to fill the room? I’m trying to keep it within $300/pair. Or any other ideas?

Thanks!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome aboard.

What Onkyo setup do you have now? That's a big room for small speakers/sub, especially HTiB type, if that's what you mean by an Onkyo surround setup.

Where do you sit in relation to the speakers? Any chance of an increased budget?

R

Russ1

Audiophyte
It is an HTiB. Onkyo HT-R280. I know it's a cheap system so anything will be an upgrade.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Onkyo-AVX-280-5-1-Channel-Home-Theater-Receiver-Speaker-Package/14335656#read-more

As far as increasing the budget, I'd like to keep it there. Maybe $400 if it's worth it. Now if it was a nice setup I wouldn't mind just doing a 2.0. I know for movies and playing playstation it won't be the same as having the 5.1. I guess I'm more concerned with music. Now I do have my dads old receiver. It's a Sherwood S-7100A.

http://classicreceivers.com/sherwood-s-7100-and-s-7100a

If I could use that with new speakers that would be great. I like the sound old receivers put out, especially when playing vinyls.

The couch and chairs sit about 10ft back from the tv. I can't move the furniture. Under the seating are outlets and rear speaker connections in the floor.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It is an HTiB. Onkyo HT-R280. I know it's a cheap system so anything will be an upgrade.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Onkyo-AVX-280-5-1-Channel-Home-Theater-Receiver-Speaker-Package/14335656#read-more

As far as increasing the budget, I'd like to keep it there. Maybe $400 if it's worth it. Now if it was a nice setup I wouldn't mind just doing a 2.0. I know for movies and playing playstation it won't be the same as having the 5.1. I guess I'm more concerned with music. Now I do have my dads old receiver. It's a Sherwood S-7100A.

http://classicreceivers.com/sherwood-s-7100-and-s-7100a

If I could use that with new speakers that would be great. I like the sound old receivers put out, especially when playing vinyls.

The couch and chairs sit about 10ft back from the tv. I can't move the furniture. Under the seating are outlets and rear speaker connections in the floor.
A $300-400 pair of speakers isn't necessarily going to get you to your goals, altho with a limited budget maybe just start with a pair of the Philharmonic AA speakers and the Dayton sub suggested (and even then that is a very large room for that sub).

You can use your HTiB speakers for surrounds, and perhaps continue to use the center; the sub won't do much.

The Onkyo avr is more capable for tv/surround/sub setup than the old Sherwood 2.0 receiver due a variety of reasons; not sure what sound qualities you attribute to old receivers.

I like the idea of perhaps perusing your local craigslist for used gear.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
Hi I’m new here. My audio knowledge is maybe average at best. I have an Onkyo surround, but the house we bought a few years ago, the speakers just aren’t strong enough to fill the room. I’m looking to start piecing together a new setup. My living room is 25’ x 25’. The peak in the ceiling is around 13’ give or take, and the room is carpeted.

I’m just going to buy the front channels awhile, and eventually buy the rest. Mostly my surround is used for my record player, and movies. The speakers I’m looking at are Polk T50 and the TSi300 floor speakers. I’m also looking at Klipsch bookshelf’s. Would any of these be strong enough to fill the room? I’m trying to keep it within $300/pair. Or any other ideas?

Thanks!
I’d avoid the T50 for all but “garage” speakers, if you really need to stay within $300, a pair of open box rp-150m is the only speakers that can actually manage to fill a room that size without loads of distortion. I’m not a fan of the tsi series from Polk, they’re really just a nicer looking version of the monitor series, which can be had cheaper.

The rp 150m has enough bass extension for most music, but isn’t adequate for movies without a sub. If you could add in an extra $200, you could pick up a Dayton Sub 1500 to handle the low end. For the time being, this should provide plenty of headroom.

Considering the size of your room, you really need capable speakers. I’m surprised you haven’t let the magic smoke out of the onkyo speakers trying to fill that room. Is there no way to increase your budget?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
With a $300-400 budget looking to fill a room that large with a HITB avr pushing them?, I think the OP is screaming for a pr of Klipsch...but even then, he needs another $200 or so bucks to do the room justice with reasonable SQ.

Most people are not overly concerned about flat frequency response, driver accuracy, etc, they just want the music to sound like what they've heard on radio, in the car etc. But, to do this right, I think the OP needs to tack some more money onto the budget, even if it means waiting.

R

Russ1

Audiophyte
Well I’ll eventually replace my sub with a better one, and eventually the other speakers. I’m just looking for a set of front speakers first.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis