Speakers Options for Yamaha RX-V493 (new to HT)

M

mark_2811

Audiophyte
Hi everyone, I'm trying to setup my first system and would appreciate some suggestions on speaker choices. I've been given a Yamaha RX-V493 receiver (70 W/channel) to start with. I'm shopping for front bookshelf speakers that would work well with the RX-V493 as well as with future upgrades (going to wait on the rear surrounds for now).

I'm mainly interested in CD music quality, and the home theater is something that I'll probably get into a little bit later so I want to leave my options open. The speakers I'm currently looking at are:

PSB Image 2B ($200)
Polk Audio RTi6 ($320)
Athena ASB2 ($120)
JBL E30 ($240)

These are sale prices in my local audio stores. I picked up the PSBs tonight to try them out. They are the only ones rated at 6 ohms (nominal) and 4 ohms (minimum). Is this a concern with my amp? There is an "impedance selector switch" on the Yamaha that lets me choose between 4 and 8 ohms, so I'm not sure which setting would be used for the PSBs? The Athena speakers are really cheap but the reviews seem to be very positive. I don't know alot about the Polk or JBL. Are these all good companies?

Any comments/suggestions are appreciated since I'm just getting into it and still learning. Would any of these speakers not work well with my Yamaha receiver? I like the sound of the PSBs but am concerned about the 6/4 ohm rating.

Thanks alot!

Mark

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
Also check out Yamaha's NS-333 bookshelf which are quite attractive and have a very neutral sound, goes well with Yamaha receivers.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis