Speakers of Sony SR4W

R

Rizwan Awan

Audiophyte
I have Sony DAV SR4W home theater, now amp behaving not good, sometime Subwoofer sound coming and then off, Unable to sorts. Kindly suggest some solution about that. Other suggestion required about speakers, I want to use them with some AV receivers, as I know , AV receivers send amplified signals to only front , surround and center, while pre out for subwoofer. I need suggestion about using my these speakers

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Looking at the manual, the front speakers seem like they are 4ohm models which should work fine, at reasonable volumes, with any proper AV receiver. But, the surround speakers appear to be some Sony proprietary BS, which are basically waste at this point. It doesn't follow any standard in the industry at all.

I would likely just ditch everything and hit up Accessories 4 Less for a packaged system...

Unless those surround speakers are designed to be connected to a standard AV system, they aren't going to be usable.

R

Rizwan Awan

Audiophyte
Surround speakers same as front, can be directly connected also, issue with Sub woofer

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sony doesn't seem to provide a usable set of specs for the speakers but I suspect as with many HTIB (home theater in a box) type systems, they're 3 ohm speakers and likely not of very good overall quality. If the amp has gone bad, just time to shop for new gear, including sub and speakers.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Its 4 ohm speakers of fairly good quality
Good to know they're 4 ohm, I did just find a manual that confirms that, but it would be nice to know what their range and sensitivity were, too. With drivers that small (7 cm is very small), let's just say there are much better speakers and subs (even with dual 16cm drivers) out there. I'd think about better speakers up front and maybe use the Sony speakers as surrounds.

You might use the speakers with an avr okay, but you're right that modern avrs do not support passive subs as the vast majority of subs in use with avrs are powered.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
....speakers of fairly good quality
I'm not sure what basis and comparisons you've made to make this statement. Being fair, while these are better than cheap computer speakers, and may be better than some cheap speaker bars, the drivers are very small and extremely inexpensive and in a cheap shroud. They are extremely entry level for what they are. Which doesn't make them 'lousy', and if you've been happy with them, that's great, but it's more a factor of not knowing what good speakers sound like and what you're missing out on here.

If they work for you, and you don't desire better audio, then that's fine, but being honest, the vast majority of inexpensive speakers that you would buy separately, from companies like Klipsch and Polk would be better, and then there is a long list of brands which are a lot better. A big plus? You own these already.

Throw out the sub. If the speakers all have standard spring clip connections, pick up some speaker wire from www.Monoprice.com and then an AVR from Accessories4Less that fits your budget. Maybe pick up a inexpensive 10" subwoofer while you're at Monoprice, and call it done.

R

Rizwan Awan

Audiophyte
I'm not sure what basis and comparisons you've made to make this statement. Being fair, while these are better than cheap computer speakers, and may be better than some cheap speaker bars, the drivers are very small and extremely inexpensive and in a cheap shroud. They are extremely entry level for what they are. Which doesn't make them 'lousy', and if you've been happy with them, that's great, but it's more a factor of not knowing what good speakers sound like and what you're missing out on here.

If they work for you, and you don't desire better audio, then that's fine, but being honest, the vast majority of inexpensive speakers that you would buy separately, from companies like Klipsch and Polk would be better, and then there is a long list of brands which are a lot better. A big plus? You own these already.

Throw out the sub. If the speakers all have standard spring clip connections, pick up some speaker wire from www.Monoprice.com and then an AVR from Accessories4Less that fits your budget. Maybe pick up a inexpensive 10" subwoofer while you're at Monoprice, and call it done.
My point about speakers are, with that speakers they delivers fairy good sound till for my room, also not much space consuming , before that I was using pioneer 8" with some big size boxes and Sansui amp, So, I put this question about utilizing these speakers

R

Rizwan Awan

Audiophyte
Good to know they're 4 ohm, I did just find a manual that confirms that, but it would be nice to know what their range and sensitivity were, too. With drivers that small (7 cm is very small), let's just say there are much better speakers and subs (even with dual 16cm drivers) out there. I'd think about better speakers up front and maybe use the Sony speakers as surrounds.

You might use the speakers with an avr okay, but you're right that modern avrs do not support passive subs as the vast majority of subs in use with avrs are powered.
Some of cheap used Avr are available in my local market, so I want to try

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Some of cheap used Avr are available in my local market, so I want to try
If you are pulling up some used AV receivers, please post them and you will get feedback if they make sense to use or not. Used subwoofers may also be available which will do a good job. I picked up some used Martin Logan subs for an incredible price a couple years ago. So, you may be able to score a really good deal on the used market.

R

Rizwan Awan

Audiophyte
There are few, Yamaha RX-V567, Onkyo TX SR-604 in used avaiable

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Both fairly old avrs, the Yamaha a few years newer, which gives it a bit of an edge on the feature set. If they have the audio/video compatibility you want for now, they may work fine (assuming they are functioning fine now and hopefully haven't been abused). How much are they asking for these?

R

Rizwan Awan

Audiophyte
These AVR available within 150 $ . My other option is to buy new Samsung HT-555, or LG-456

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Don't see anything for a Samsung HT-555 (C555 or D555 comes up), is it just the receiver or a whole system? Nothing came up for an LG 456.

R

Rizwan Awan

Audiophyte
They are whole systems , its LG-LD657and Samsung HT-555K

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Cheap used avr could be a risk, but like bmxtrix said, post up specific models that are available.
Yeah sometimes you get a gem other times a dud , never know it’s a gamble . New avr seem a gamble also as a 2016 I got used died only this year and wasn’t used for 2 years still died .

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
They are whole systems , its LG-LD657and Samsung HT-555K
Hmm whole system for that cheap not bad . Don’t expect a lot but that’s a cheap system . The lg I can only find a tv .I can’t even find a used avr comparable to the one that died that cheap .

R

Rizwan Awan

Audiophyte
These both whole systems are new, not used, but slightly above as compare to used avr, I only want to use AVR to utilize my speakers, If AVRs require bigger and space consuming speakers, then its better to go for whole system

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
These both whole systems are new, not used, but slightly above as compare to used avr, I only want to use AVR to utilize my speakers, If AVRs require bigger and space consuming speakers, then its better to go for whole system
Yeah it sucks I got a dud avr , it died but I can’t afford a new or used/hdmi receiver right now . Sucks it was only 2016 and barely used I had it sitting 2 years almost unused now it won’t power on .
I understand just hunting a new/ used avr it’s a pain .

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis