Speakers for beginner audiophile

GuitarPicker

GuitarPicker

Junior Audioholic
What speakers would you recommend for the beginner audiophile with a $2500-$3000 budget for LCR? This might be helpful for those looking to get in the HT and music listening. I'm currently running a 5.1.4 but it would have been helpful for me when I started upgrading my 15yr old system to learn from those who had experience with different set ups. Looking for ideas for those who eventually would want to upgrade their system to a full surround set up and using a sub.

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Will you be using a subwoofer? Are you looking at tower speakers or bookshelf speakers?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Might want to explain what you mean by audiophile.....generally taken to mean someone interested in high fidelity sound reproduction. Sometimes construed to be more about particular personal preferences instead....

S

stalag2005

Full Audioholic
For what it is, from SVS you could put together a set of speakers for that $2500-3000 budget that would do well. However I myself are partial to Paradigm's mid range speakers and due to sales you might be able to put together a good set as well. To really figure out a budget, we need to know the number of speakers you are looking for and the size of the room they are going into. For example, I might if you are looking for floor standing speakers consider the Paradigm 800F currently on sale and an SVS PB-2000 for a subwoofer for a 2.1 system (stereo with subwoofer).

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Will you be using a subwoofer? Are you looking at tower speakers or bookshelf speakers?
You need to answer this question first. But right now it don't get much better then this

GuitarPicker

GuitarPicker

Junior Audioholic
Might want to explain what you mean by audiophile.....generally taken to mean someone interested in high fidelity sound reproduction. Sometimes construed to be more about particular personal preferences instead....
Having a good set of speakers for both HT and music listening.

GuitarPicker

GuitarPicker

Junior Audioholic
You need to answer this question first. But right now it don't get much better then this

Why would you recommend these speakers? Specs or did you demo these speakers and compare these to other brands?

GuitarPicker

GuitarPicker

Junior Audioholic

Yes running a sub. This center channel would be a hard fit for most surround sound set ups for the beginner enthusiast. It's like laying a tower speaker on its side. I originally tried the airmotiv c2. Pretty good sounding center speaker and packed a lot of punch that you could feel but it was just too big.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Why would you recommend these speakers? Specs or did you demo these speakers and compare these to other brands?
Paradigm has been a respected audio brand for a long time. With a history of excellent build quality, using quality drivers and components, value, which translates to great sound quality.
I've been a Paradigm owner.
Other brands?
SVS
Ascend Acoustics
Monitor Audio
Canton

And that Center Channel is one of the best in its class.

And spending $2500 to $3,000 on a L/C/R speaker really doesn't qualify for the "Beginner Audiophile" like you stated if you want to see beginner audiophile let me show you an example

Last edited:
S

stalag2005

Full Audioholic
I also have heard other speakers demonstrated. I am also a Paradigm owner myself and own a pair of 800F speakers. I will attest the speaker is a great sounding speaker for the price. Also a comment from the guys delivering this is that they think the value is there for these speakers at that price point. Paradigm like Mazersteven says has a solid reputation for excellence at every price point they are in. I also own an SVS subwoofer myself and will state the Paradigm X12 IMHO is even better than the SVS SB-3000 I currently own for a similar price point. But for what it is the SVS is a better value especially in a more constrained environment. I would feel that the PB-4000 would be closer to the Paradigm X12 in performance. Given these are pricey, you might consider cheaper. SVS in their higher tier products do well, but for standard speakers I have spoken to one of their reps who owns Paradigm and swears by their quality and he also owns a pair of 800F. He though uses an SVS subwoofer. You don't have to go to the most expensive, I have heard +$50K/per speaker that sound excellent. But spending $100,000 for a pair of speakers is way out of your league. IMHO the Paradigm 800F gets you 99% of the way for a fraction of the price. By the way I have a 7.1 surround set of speakers that also includes in addition to the 800F just purchased, a 45C center, Mini Monitor v5, ADP-190 v5 and the aforementioned X12 subwoofer on a Yamaha RXV663 receiver. All the speakers are from Paradigm.

GuitarPicker

GuitarPicker

Junior Audioholic
Paradigm has been a respected audio brand for a long time. With a history of excellent build quality, using quality drivers and components, value, which translates to great sound quality.
I've been a Paradigm owner.
Other brands?
SVS
Ascend Acoustics
Monitor Audio
Canton

And that Center Channel is one of the best in its class.

And spending $2500 to $3,000 on a L/C/R speaker really doesn't qualify for the "Beginner Audiophile" like you stated if you want to see beginner audiophile let me show you an example

That wouldn't be a Bose sound bar? Just a little humor. I think it would be great information for those wanting to get started so please do share your example.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis