Speakers $3000-$4000 range

G

goofbutt

Audiophyte
I am in the process of upgrading my entire system, I have purchased the Samsung HLP 6163 DLP tv and Denon AVR 3805 receiver. I would like suggestions for speakers {front, center, rear and sub} in the $3,000 to $4,000 range. Room is 15x17x8, will be used mainly for movie watching. I have been doing alot of research on Def Tech Mythos and Axiom. Problem is I live in the middle of nowhere, the closest decent a/v store is 90 miles away so is tough to listen to before buying. That's why I'm counting on you guys for input. Thanks

Last edited:
J

Joshr

Enthusiast
speakers 3-4K

Can you tell us a little about the room dimensions and configuration, and use (movies? music? both?).

I was just in your boat...listened to A LOT from $2.5K-$5K range...I fell for the Energy Veritas line and got a good price on V2.3i fronts, V2.0Ci center and V2.0Ri rears. I think list price for the setup is about $4400, but you can do better than that. Leaves no budget for your sub, though, unless you can stretch the budget a little further.

Other things I listened to and really liked:

-Snell 5mk2 fronts ($1900 list...very tight, elegant bass)
-Def Tech Mythos system with the Supercube sub....must use the sub to get decent bass, but it's an amazing system with the sub
-Paradigm Studio 100s and 60s (although I felt the Energy Veritases were significantly more open and revealing)
-Monitor Audio Silver (I auditioned the S6 and S10...thought the S6 was excellent for its price of $1K/pair but can't compete with the Snells or Energies above...thought the S10 was not as good a value...didn't hear the S8s)
-PSB T65i (again, impressive at their price, but not in same league as the more expensive speakers above)
-B&W N704 ($2200/pair I think...beautiful cabinets....liked them the first time I heard them but then auditioned a second time and found them a little hissy and lean...people seem to love or hate them...I had both experiences which I guess reminds you that the room (and what's upstream in the system) has A LOT to do with what you hear.

I was really pretty amazed by the Mythos system (and was very skeptical before I heard them), but they are tall narrow towers that aren't child friendly and I have a toddler and another on the way. I also like listening to music without a sub, and these really require the sub. But it's a very creative design, looks really great if you like modern styling, and the Supercube sub is unbelievable and very very musical. I'm buying the sub to go with my Energies.

G

goofbutt

Audiophyte
goofbutt said:
I am in the process of upgrading my entire system, I have purchased the Samsung HLP 6163 DLP tv and Denon AVR 3805 receiver. I would like suggestions for speakers {front, center, rear and sub} in the $3,000 to $4,000 range. Room is 15x17x8, will be used mainly for movie watching. I have been doing alot of research on Def Tech Mythos and Axiom. Problem is I live in the middle of nowhere, the closest decent a/v store is 90 miles away so is tough to listen to before buying. That's why I'm counting on you guys for input. Thanks

R

Rich0301

Enthusiast
I am buying a new HT system and need some advice. I am going with a DENON AVR-3805 receiver, but have not decided on speakers yet. My wife and I listened to PARADIGM Studio 100's, CC-470 center, ADP-470 surrounds and a Seismic 12 sub. We like this system very much, we listened to high end Klipsch and thought that they were too bright. I am impressed with the AXIOM 80ti , VP150 center, QS8 surrounds, and EP500 sub, but have not listened to them . Reviews I have read are very favorable towards AXIOM.

With the PARADIGM as a reference point, can anyone give me some advice for something in the $4k range regarding speakers?

20to20K

Full Audioholic
I love the Paradigm...but also check out Quad...

The Quad 2.2L($1600), Center ($500) and 1.2L rears($650). That will still
leave you about $1K for a sub with a little room to spare(wire?). This setup sounds awesome and is constructed of fine piano gloss wood finish and don't
take up as much real estate as the Paradigm setup.

Great bass response for speaker of this size and hi quality workmanship for this range as well. Sounds close (not quite as deep bass-wise) to the Sonus Faber Grand Piano's at half the price.

Now finding a Quad dealer in the boonies may be your biggest challenge.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Rich0301 said:
I am buying a new HT system and need some advice. I am going with a DENON AVR-3805 receiver, but have not decided on speakers yet. My wife and I listened to PARADIGM Studio 100's, CC-470 center, ADP-470 surrounds and a Seismic 12 sub. We like this system very much, we listened to high end Klipsch and thought that they were too bright. I am impressed with the AXIOM 80ti , VP150 center, QS8 surrounds, and EP500 sub, but have not listened to them . Reviews I have read are very favorable towards AXIOM.

With the PARADIGM as a reference point, can anyone give me some advice for something in the $4k range regarding speakers?
Let me give you a suggestion: no matter which speaker you decide on, get a high-precision equalizer device such as a Behringer DCX2496(they have up to 3 channels input each, so 2 of these will be enough for HT--they link with a cable for daisy chained use) and facilitate it's use in your audio system. Changing the frequency response with subtle modifications, you'll be much happier with ANY speaker you will likely choose. Just be sure you have a way to connect a device between the preamp stage of the HT and the amp stage. If your HT already has a high precision/powerful E.Q.(a ten band e.q. or tone controls are NOT sufficient for precision control) , then of course this is a non-issue.

I provide a comparison and measurements of a precision E.Q.(DCX 2496) as compared to a high-quality graphic equalizer(Pioneer GR-777) in the following post:

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?p=55898#post55898

-Chris

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
My suggestions are

goofbutt said:
Its too bad you have a receiver as I would have suggested the PSB Stratus series. These are incredable sounding speakers, another league up from PSB' Image Series. However, they are 4 ohm, low sensitivity and power hungry. When mated to a suitable amplifier, these things just sing and the realism, imaging, soundstage are most impressive. Maybe trade the receiver for a seperates combo from Outlaw. You will have an unbeatable system for the money. Good luck and have fun

TjMV3

TjMV3

Full Audioholic
20to20K said:
The Quad 2.2L($1600), Center ($500) and 1.2L rears($650). That will still
leave you about $1K for a sub with a little room to spare(wire?). This setup sounds awesome and is constructed of fine piano gloss wood finish and don't
take up as much real estate as the Paradigm setup.

Great bass response for speaker of this size and hi quality workmanship for this range as well. Sounds close (not quite as deep bass-wise) to the Sonus Faber Grand Piano's at half the price.

Now finding a Quad dealer in the boonies may be your biggest challenge.
The Quad 22L are wonderful speakers, as are the 12L.

But the 12L will run you about $900.00- $1,000.00 brand new. Not $650.00.

I think the Quad 11L runs in the $650.00-$700.00 price range.

But you should try to audition or listen to any speakers, before buying. I know it's difficult in your area, but it is the best way.

Where do you live? If you're in the state of North Carolina, you're more than welcome to stop by my place for listen. Anytime.

As it is happens, I have a pair of Quad 22L in the Yew finish and a pair of 12L in the Yew finish for sale; check out the "CLASSIFIEDS - SELL YOUR GEAR " on this forum site. :)

I'm selling my 22L because the little woman has new furniture (a Dark Cherry stained finish on the furniture) coming for the room they (22L) are now occupying, and has been whining and complaining about how much of an eye-sore the Yew will be in a room with Dark Cherry funiture. So I'm selling the Yew finish, and buying the Quad 22L in the Rosewood finish. That was my compromise.

BTW, for the purpose of conveying the right information. Not trying to be a smart ***. The Quads are as follows:

Quad 22L

Quad 21L

Quad 12L

Quad 11L

Quad L-Series Center Channel

Quad L-Series Subwoofer

There's no " . " (period or point) between the numbers.

R

Rich0301

Enthusiast
Took the plunge

Decided to go with the DENON AVR-3805 and the PARADIGM system, Studio 100's, CC-470 center, ADP470 rears, and PDR12 sub. I had to cut back on the sub due to budget constraints, but can upgrade in the future with the store I purchased from. The best that I could do was 20% off of list . I didn't want to drive 200 miles to try for better pricing.
I can't wait to get it set up.

20to20K

Full Audioholic
TjMV3 said:
The Quad 22L are wonderful speakers, as are the 12L.

But the 12L will run you about $900.00- $1,000.00 brand new. Not $650.00.

I think the Quad 11L runs in the $650.00-$700.00 price range.

BTW, for the purpose of conveying the right information. Not trying to be a smart ***. The Quads are as follows:

Quad 22L

Quad 21L

Quad 12L

Quad 11L

Quad L-Series Center Channel

Quad L-Series Subwoofer

There's no " . " (period or point) between the numbers.
The setup I heard must have been the 11L's as rears...not the 12L's because
I was sure of the price I was quoted. Those 12's as rears will still keep you in your budget and should sound even better than the setup I heard.

No worries...conveying the right information is what this sight is for! :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis