Speaker Wire Question

G

genuinebigdog

Audioholic Intern
I am a noobie when it comes to the home theatre audio scene. I am trying to construct my system peice by peice.

I dont know what kind of speaker cable to buy. I have done some research and I think 16 gauge will be fine because I will not need more than 80 feet from receiver to speaker.

Also I was looking at best buy... I found this product.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1051384703594&type=product&skuId=4118289

It says it somes with 8 gold platted pins... What is that? Is that what I can use to connect components together instead of using bair cable.

Are they like banana plugs?

Thanks for helping.

F

flyv65

Full Audioholic
First things first:
Check this very website for information about do it yourself speaker cable, but briefly, at short distances, you're going to be fine with most gauge wire, but for distances up to 80 feet, I think you'll be wanting something with a bit more "girth". Check out the Parts Express online catalogue for 12 and 10 ga. speaker wire. The smaller the gauge number, the lower the resistance/impedance, IIRC.

Second: the gold pins you're talking about are attached to the ends of the speaker cable and threaded through the small hole on the speaker 5-way binding post. Make sure you don't touch any of the posts to each other if you use these. IMHO, you might as well just use bare wire if you're thinking about using the pins (I think the spade ends and the locking banana clips are much better connections, and often more user friendly).

If you're thinking about buying pre-made cables, check out Blue Jeans cable or Cobalt Cable: IIRC, they both fared pretty well in the site snake oil tests.

Bryan...or start looking at Home Depot for cable-they've got it, too...

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Agree with above.

For that 80' run, I would go with 12 gauge. Heck, for the price difference, I'd go with 12 gauge all the way around.

As far as those gold pin connectors go, you might as well just twist the ends and tin them with a little solder to assure there are no loose ends.

But, on the whole, I find banana plugs much, much more convenient, particularly when working on the back of one of these big arse modern HT receivers, where real estate is at a premium. Remember, those pin connectors have to be inserted from the side of the connectors, not the top.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
UH OH! It's time for the Westlake Plug o' the day!

In-wall rated wire, for super cheap:

12ga
And if you want REAL overkill...10ga

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
How many 80 foot runs do you have to do? How much TOTAL wire do you need? You can pick up some very nice wire from various stores, but BB stuff tends to be a bit overpriced for the value you get. It isn't like you are going to purchase speaker wire online and go "Wait, this is defective wire, electricity doesn't run through it!" ;)

I don't know about 12 gauge... But, definitely no less than 14 gauge is my recommendation. I don't have a problem with thicker cable, but considering home power lines are typically 14 or 12 gauge I'm never sure how much added benefit you would get from 12 gauge or 10 gauge wire to the speakers.

Anyway, I used all Monster in-wall for my setup, but bought on eBay for about 20 cents a foot (or so) and was very happy with the results. There are LOTS of options on eBay. Just search 12 gauge speaker wire or 14 gauge speaker wire and you will get a ton of very good options.

Just let us know what you are looking at and you will get some smilies for some of the better brands to consider.

G

genuinebigdog

Audioholic Intern
thanks guys. I would rather use banana plugs. But do they require you solder? (typo?) I dont even have a soldering iron.

Banana plugs seem convienient. The gold pins seem they will do the trick. I have checked my JBL speakers.... they do have this hole in the side for the gold pin....

but do most recievers? I have a yamaha 5840. I would look myself but it hasn't come in yet.

Also, speaker cable... do I need to see about getting some wire cutters/strippers as well... Wow... this HT stuff really adds up. I cant believe these speakers didn't come with speaker cable.

oh well...

And finally...

is it really that big of a difference? Cant you juust screw them in securly to the speaker and reciever and be done with it? Is the quality that noticeably different?

Thanks for helping everyone. I have been on these forums for over a month and everyone is so nice...

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
The difference in quality between banana plugs, bare wire, spades, and pins in terms of getting a secure connection to the speaker terminals is nil.

Banana plugs are the most convenient and there are a number of different types. Some you have to crimp over the wire (you could solder too), some hold the wire with a set screw, and some are 'compression' type - you fan the wire out and screw on the top to hold it securely. Yet another type is a locking banana where the tip expands to lock into place. The compression and locking type are the easiest to use - no muss, no fuss with crimping or soldering.

I avoid spades and pins. Spades often won't work with receivers because many of them have a little collar around the binding post (eg. Onkyo) that prevents the spade from fitting. Pins are just plain dorky, IMO. Bare wire is fine, but bananas are more convenient.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
jaxvon said:
UH OH! It's time for the Westlake Plug o' the day!

In-wall rated wire, for super cheap:

12ga
And if you want REAL overkill...10ga

Yes, that is better than Home Depot :D
Post it often.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
What is the longest run to a speaker?

Yes, you will need something to cut the wire and strip the insulation. You must have some basic tools around the house, no?
Yes, you can just do bare wires.
I think it was mentioned, some banana plugs have screws. Make sure to make it tight.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
genuinebigdog said:
thanks guys. I would rather use banana plugs. But do they require you solder? (typo?) I dont even have a soldering iron.

is it really that big of a difference? Cant you juust screw them in securly to the speaker and reciever and be done with it? Is the quality that noticeably different?
See image below, the back of your reciever uses 5-way binding posts which are designed to accept banana plugs.

I am a BIG fan of these connectors:
http://www.impactacoustics.com/product.asp?cat_id=115&sku=29785

Use a link through this site and get a discount! Not even like they are that expensive to begin with though.

Wire strippers can be had at your local Home Depot for about 5 bucks. Until I had a LOT of wires to strip, I just used my Leatherman. Wire strippers are faster and more accurate though. Use the kind designed for low voltage as they are a lot easier to use for speaker wire.

Is there a difference in sound quality? No, not at all. But, it is much easier to deal with banana plugs than it is with bare wire. Especially on the back of an A/V receiver where space is limited.

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
mtrycrafts said:
Yes, that is better than Home Depot :D
Post it often.
Oh, jaxvon and me post this site a lot. Actually the 10awg has gone up a cent or 2 since I bought mine. I think I got mine at 0.24 or 0.25 a foot for 10awg. I have posted pics of it, and it is quite stranded and is very flexable enough for me. The Monster stuff may be a little more flexable (no disrespect BMX) but it still even at eBay prices is 3-5 times the cost. The shipping is super reasonable, cheaper than most companies. Only drawback is that there is a 15.00 minimum purchase. Usually this is not a problem....

IMO, bananas are the way to go... Just for the ease of removal if needed. But I do like the locking type. They offer IMO a much better connection. (a pure locking connection, no sound difference)
But as BMX said, they will not offer a better sound quality.
For the most part,
wire is wire (12awg one company/12awg another company), bananas and spades and pins and bare wire will offer no better connection.
Just aesthetics, and ease....

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Monster stuff is retarded expensive in the 12+ gauge category. Their CIPRO 14/2 and 16/2 is the only stuff I use from them and then eBay prices are right in line with other brands/products.

If you are going 12 gauge or thicker - which I personally believe is overkill, considering the receiver being used, I would use the links provided, that is a good price on a good product.

C

claudermilk

Full Audioholic
Definitely check Westlake out. I found them through this board (big thanks, guys!) and saved a bunch of money when I did my speaker cables. For connectors, I used the GLS locking bananas from Orange County Speaker--they look like knockoffs of some more expensive ones & work well. After spending a long time fighting bare wire ends in the back of an enclosed equipment rack I can definitely say bananas are well worth it at least on the receiver end.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis