Speaker wire gauge and LFE...

F

felipe

Audioholic
Hey y’all. I have a thought about speaker AWG and LFE when running towers full-range and no subwoofer. I don’t have a sub in my setup, but am running towers for the fronts and rears. As I have already got clarification from Gene regarding the LFE level setting on my AVR, now I wonder if the AWG of the speaker wire im using (16 AWG...yeah I know lol) will affect the LFE signal going to the full-range speakers?...minimize or reduce it somehow??

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Hey y’all. I have a thought about speaker AWG and LFE when running towers full-range and no subwoofer. I don’t have a sub in my setup, but am running towers for the fronts and rears. As I have already got clarification from Gene regarding the LFE level setting on my AVR, now I wonder if the AWG of the speaker wire im using (16 AWG...yeah I know lol) will affect the LFE signal going to the full-range speakers?...minimize or reduce it somehow??
Using 16 g wire will not minimize or reduce the signal going to your speakers unless you have a long run from the AVR. For roughly 30 feet or less, don't worry. 14 or 12 g is not expensive, be sure to buy copper wire, not copper clad aluminum (CCA). If you are really concerned about LFE in movies, you should use a subwoofer.

F

felipe

Audioholic
Using 16 g wire will not minimize or reduce the signal going to your speakers unless you have a long run from the AVR. For roughly 30 feet or less, don't worry. 14 or 12 g is not expensive, be sure to buy copper wire, not copper clad aluminum (CCA). If you are really concerned about LFE in movies, you should use a subwoofer.
Thanks for clarifying that for me Swerd. The wire I’m using is copper wire, not CCA. My longest run is 25ft (I live in a condo),so I should be good ;).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis