Speaker vs receiver issue

D

Drewdberg

Audiophyte
hi! New to the forum and typing on a phone so bear with me. Have a bit of an odd question. I am using an older sansui vintage receiver and speakers in a home audiophile set up. However I cna only turn the volume knob to two or 3 before the speakers are basically blasting and super loud. Do I need a speaker that can push more wattage? Or is this a normal thing? I can get the exact specs if that helps at all

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Perhaps you just have high sensitivity speakers, unless you feel the receiver is acting aberrantly. Speakers don't push wattage, they use as much as they need depending on the level you're driving them to (and the sensitivity rating will tell you more than a wattage rating); if anything it sounds like you'd almost prefer a speaker that is less sensitive so you can turn the volume dial up higher with the same result?

The specific make/model info for the gear being discussed is always a good idea....

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Welcome.

When you say the volume control to 2 or 3, where does it start from, zero? And what is the max, of course that would be without the speakers.

And what source does this happen with? Does it also happen with the AM or FM tuner too?
Are you the original owner of those Sansui receiver and speaker?
Have you had this issue before?

You also mention home audio setup. What else is connected to the Sansui or is there something else being connected to other component?

Perhaps the wrong input is being used hence you are over driving the preamp in that receiver?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis