KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Went with the gloss black
I think the black bring out he Titanium finish of the drivers better, but also love the white - it'd be a hard choice for me!
The important thing is that you did not buy the Chrono SL 596!
Unlike the 596.2, the 596 does not have the ceramic tweeter which I consider the best aspect of these speakers

I noticed that they have the free center deal in the banner if you are on the home page. If you click the banner, you get to this page where these (currently 3 ea.) speakers have the free Chrono SL 556.2 center:

I worry that someone would go to this page and be attracted to the 596 because it is $400 less for the pair and made in Germany. However, IMHO, it is the ceramic tweeter (as opposed to the cost of speakers that use Be or RAAL) that makes Canton the best value in a high quality speaker!

Last edited:
H

HawgHead1960

Enthusiast
I think the black bring out he Titanium finish of the drivers better, but also love the white - it'd be a hard choice for me!
The important thing is that you did not buy the Chrono SL 596!
Unlike the 596.2, the 596 does not have the ceramic tweeter which I consider the best aspect of these speakers

I noticed that they have the free center deal in the banner if you are on the home page. If you click the banner, you get to this page where these (currently 3 ea.) speakers have the free Chrono SL 556.2 center:

I worry that someone would go to this page and be attracted to the 596 because it is $400 less for the pair and made in Germany. However, IMHO, it is the ceramic tweeter (as opposed to the cost of speakers that use Be or RAAL) that makes Canton the best value in a high quality speaker!
I checked and then double checked with them in the chat function to make sure all three speakers had the ceramic tweeter. Was considering the white also, but hard not to like the gloss black.

A

aesposito

Enthusiast
Hey Guys,

Any thoughts on Bower Wilkins or Martin Logans? Comparable to Canton? Better?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Without being able to hear them side by side, I am reluctant to make a real statement.
I can say that I really enjoyed the ML Motion 60's I heard in the Magnolia room.
I can also say that you'll pay more for the Martin Logans (for what you get) than for the Cantons (assuming you would buy through Accessories4Less).
I can also comfortably say that if you listen to and like the Motion 60's you would like the Cantons (with the ceramic tweeter)!
I have not yet heard a B&W that impressed me. I disliked their 600 series when I listened to it a decade ago. More recently, I have heard a few others (800 series) and they sounded fine, but not as good as I expected, given the price.

S

SimplyEpic

Audioholic
@KEW Just out of curiosity how do the Canton's compare to the ML 60's off access? that was the only thing I did not like about the ML's. Treble dropped off sharply off axis with the 60's unfortunately otherwise I really liked them.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
@KEW Just out of curiosity how do the Canton's compare to the ML 60's off access? that was the only thing I did not like about the ML's. Treble dropped off sharply off axis with the 60's unfortunately otherwise I really liked them.
I only listened to the ML 60 for a few minutes (long enough to know I liked it) but I only listened from the LP they had setup, so can't speak to that.
If you are not in too big of a rush, you can wait until Erin H gets spinorama data on the Cantons:
See post #71:

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
The Canton drops off about half as much at 30 degrees off axis compared to the ML60. But the Canton Aluminum tweeter seems harsher than the ML 60 to my ears. It took me some time to get use to the Canton tweeter head on. Trying different speaker positions helped take the edge off for me.

ML60.png
Canton 780 .png

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis