Speaker suggestions?

D

Don Anderson

Audiophyte
I am building a small vinyl collection and looking to rebuild a home system and need suggestions for a pair of passive speakers.
Looking to spend about $1,500 for a pair.
Thanks!

Don

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Ascend Acoustics Sierra-2 would be one to consider, another the Philharmonic BMR Philharmonitor....

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I think KEF LS50s are also very good, and Polk LSi 703s have been measured to be very accurate. For a vinyl collection though, you might want a speaker that is 'forgiving' ie. does not bring out every single detail in a recording, from rolling off the treble a bit. You might want to look at a speaker that that has a 'warm' character, so the high frequencies are a bit recessed.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
I think KEF LS50s are also very good, and Polk LSi 703s have been measured to be very accurate. For a vinyl collection though, you might want a speaker that is 'forgiving' ie. does not bring out every single detail in a recording, from rolling off the treble a bit. You might want to look at a speaker that that has a 'warm' character, so the high frequencies are a bit recessed.
So a pair of Klipsch KSF 10.5's won't do then. :D They are without a doubt the "brightest" speakers I have ever heard.

Sorry I hijacked the thread..... carry on.

J

JRT3

Junior Audioholic
If you have the room - a pair of Klipsch Heresys are hard to beat. New H3's will run you closer to $2k, or you can shop C.L., like I did last autumn, and find a nice vintage pair for a fraction of that. Classic speakers - classic sound - and sensitive, too.

M

mr sarnoff

Audioholic Intern
I am building a small vinyl collection and looking to rebuild a home system and need suggestions for a pair of passive speakers.
Looking to spend about $1,500 for a pair.
Thanks!

Don
Along with my huge 1962 vintage refurbished 1x15 and 2 horn
maybe 1965 vintage refurbished 1x15 and 2 horn EV Sentry III very seldom used city block party or large vintage recording studio speakers ( the linage )have incredible detail $ dynamics within their bandwidth being horn speakers and better drivers and horns than any retail Klipsch speaker I know of including spendy K horns .

You may want to look at some JBL studios or ELAC Uni-Fi UB5 @$499.00 a pair or the $379.00 ea. Elac F6 towers and maybe a decent sub and be better off than shopping the usual mas market mid fi ,entry level snob audiophile and OD brands in that range and well beyond .

My most recent spends here are ELAC B6 bookshelf that hold up to a few times the spend well and the ~1595.00 ea spendy JBL PRO 12" 3 ways and no regrets and TBH the ELAC B6 here don't leave much of anthing on the table for some decently spendy bookshelf speakers .

The ELAC Uni-Fi UB5 @$499.00 a pair or the $379.00 ea. Elac F6 towers are better than my wonderful ELAC B6 and X some spendy speakers at almost charitable prices .

2 ELAC Uni-Fi UB5 front and 2 Elac B6 rear , a C5 center and Elac S10 or 12 EQ Sub should work out 5.1 well at X the spend for at some level of audiophile nirvana or something below that but pretty good .

M

mr sarnoff

Audioholic Intern
If you have the room - a pair of Klipsch Heresys are hard to beat. New H3's will run you closer to $2k, or you can shop C.L., like I did last autumn, and find a nice vintage pair for a fraction of that. Classic speakers - classic sound - and sensitive, too.

OP for old school Klipsch forget the poor Klipsch mans Hershey's and start with Klipsch Cornwalls or better or moreover the Crites modified same the Klipsch Heresies were never all that and usually had cheap drivers and horns next to my old school EV Sentry III block party or large studio speakers out back or my spendy new 3 way JBL pro that all have way better drivers and Horns in EV speakers than any old school Klipsch or even the spendy Khorns have and ever had ,

That said none of the speakers or horns were typical mass market console stereo horrible and cheap and the some of them were fairly decent and all respected brands just not JBL or Altec levels .

Early mid century Klipsch with Stephens and Eminence and somewhat less Jensen were respectable woofers along with the EV horns when they used them and the later CTS woofers , Klipsch K33 variations and Eminence Kappa are decent but not JBL spendy or quality .

OTOH AFAIK the modern Klipsch horns and woofers ain' bad though and maybe better than a lot of the old schools given today's manufacturing processes but Vox int'l or like that owns Klipsch and Energy speaker and they have the touch of tarnish not gold they arent Harmon ,but Harmon just got sold too and they been the quality stewards and designers of some of the best audio on the planet!

Klipsch and his crew was more about the cabinets acoustical design than the drivers and horns , they used whatever they could get from Stephens ,University, CTS, Jensen,Eminence ,EV and maybe Utah and so on but never JBL or Altec quality but now I believe all that is home grown on the old schools or at least the same in any given pair of speakers like they were back in the day

That said said the old school cornwalls or better and larger were pretty remarkable considering what was in them that wasn't much better if at all aside from the respectable crossovers they always used than some of the best Bi amped or powerful otherwise Magnavox console stereos that had some decent 15" Magnavox and later Utah or CTS woofers and maybe Heppner horns or whatever they could get noting Magnavox invented the dynamic loudspeaker and made them for nearly everybody at one time and something at the~ Heresy level or better similar boxes in the 1970's and justifiably legendary Magnavox Concert Grands were made to each customer's order .

Paul Klipsch and his crew were clever like that and made some remarkable old school speakers and the remarkable to this day K horns with what they could get but The Heresies were never remarkable that was the common ported budget box and not unique Klipsch style and if anthing ever good came out of one before Klispch inside it probably had a Crites Loudspeaker Xover and horn or EV horn

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis