Speaker Stands for Tower Speakers

Mike V

Mike V

Junior Audioholic
I have learned a lot from reading through these forums, but still have a long way to go. Using Search, I learned hat the tweeters of speakers should be at ear level. My old media room has elevated seating - the front row is ground level, and the the 2nd and 3rd rows are each a step higher. We usually sit in the middle row, and I estimate our eras are about 18" above the L/R tower speakers. The center speaker is angled up, but it looks like I only have a little room to raise it. But the tower speakers could be raised. Does anyone have recommendations for speaker stands for tower speakers? I assume stability is key for safety reasons...

Thanks!

Attachments

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How about tilting the front of the L/R speakers up a bit to "aim" them a bit better instead? Otherwise I'd just build something in the way of a platform/box otherwise, can't think of a commercial product for such.

Mike V

Mike V

Junior Audioholic
How about tilting the front of the L/R speakers up a bit to "aim" them a bit better instead? Otherwise I'd just build something in the way of a platform/box otherwise, can't think of a commercial product for such.
I would think that would be unstable, but I could lean them back against the wall... you know, what if I just built a sturdy stand into the corner wall, with a ridge to keep the speakers in place?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I would think that would be unstable, but I could lean them back against the wall... you know, what if I just built a sturdy stand into the corner wall, with a ridge to keep the speakers in place?
Depends on the balance of the speaker....probably wouldn't work with my JBL 590s (even have a warning sticker for top end balance). A small wedge like a door stopper can offer a good angle and reasonable stability depending on the speaker. A solid platform could well be better and now you've got me thinking about my new tower surrounds for a bit o'height :)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
There aren't really any speaker stands for tower speaker, you will have to make something yourself, especially if you only need an extra foot or so. There are a lot of things you can do to raise the tower a bit more on a stable platform.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
There aren't really any speaker stands for tower speaker, you will have to make something yourself,
Weeeel, this is not entirely true. There are a lot of companies that make these mid-size towers that need elevation:
upload_2017-9-5_10-0-12.jpeg

Few series from PMC alone.

These stands elevate and tilt:
upload_2017-9-5_10-5-15.jpeg

A lot of older speakers ha stands similar to the picture above. If you're not a handy-man, I'd check audiogon for something like this.

These are simple (and beautiful IMO), but they only elevate:
upload_2017-9-5_10-7-53.jpeg

Then you have these that might make tilting safe, but they hardly elevate at all (these also say JBL on the front, but I'm not sure is it real):
upload_2017-9-5_10-9-10.jpeg

These are custom build, so you probably won't find them on Craig's, but I put them to give you ideas if you want to build them yourself:
upload_2017-9-5_10-10-45.jpeg

These were actually quite common. I always see Spendors lifted on these so I guess they were produced for Spendors (not sure):
upload_2017-9-5_10-13-15.jpeg

These were on the Audio Mart website. My guess - expensive:
upload_2017-9-5_10-15-42.jpeg

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
@killdozzer Seems still to be something you'll need to DIY or find someone else's DIY....was that audiomart in Europe?

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
These tilt and elevate in Michigan. I'll find a few more later, I'm going for a walk. No luck in audiogon or usaudiomart so far.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
I have learned a lot from reading through these forums, but still have a long way to go. Using Search, I learned hat the tweeters of speakers should be at ear level. My old media room has elevated seating - the front row is ground level, and the the 2nd and 3rd rows are each a step higher. We usually sit in the middle row, and I estimate our eras are about 18" above the L/R tower speakers. The center speaker is angled up, but it looks like I only have a little room to raise it. But the tower speakers could be raised. Does anyone have recommendations for speaker stands for tower speakers? I assume stability is key for safety reasons...

Thanks!
There are tower speaker stands that can raise and or tilt a floor standing speaker 4-6" that I've seen, but they are not easy to find to accommodate all speakers.

Mike V

Mike V

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for all the ideas. I have decided to build a platform in each corner of my media room. I am thinking of making it adjustable, kind of like bookshelf racks. But it will have to be very strong, obviously. A platform will fit any future tower speakers - I do not think I want to drill into the tower speakers - that seems like a bad idea to me, so platform it will be!

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks for all the ideas. I have decided to build a platform in each corner of my media room. I am thinking of making it adjustable, kind of like bookshelf racks. But it will have to be very strong, obviously. A platform will fit any future tower speakers - I do not think I want to drill into the tower speakers - that seems like a bad idea to me, so platform it will be!
My question would be what row is the MLP? If it is the first row and the towers are at ear height for that row, I wouldn't do anything.

If not, then your platform is the simplest and cheapest way to get the job done.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I guess if it's done right and you're careful it's not unheard of to drill into a speaker cabinet. Me personally? Never! :p

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis